Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damien,
Your dedication and level of patience is amazing! You have had set backs that would have sent me screaming like a nutter and literally making up new curse words!
Either you are super-human....or you drink a lot! ;)

Hi Damien
You certainly did a very nice work on the mirrors .
Sorry , but I don't understand why you had to do all that .
I have the same car , and am very happy with the stock mirrors
do you intend to pull a long trailer ?

bye Renago
Hi renago, as I blacked out my rear windows, I now have huge dangerous blind spots, so (1) I was looking at adding blindspot mirrors. My stock mirrors move every time I pass a truck on the highway, and very easily when driving through scrub, so (2) I wanted something sturdier. I didn't want nor need towing mirrors, but after not finding any other replacement mirrors that were an improvement, these ones were all I could find that was bolt-on , but being towing mirrors they were way to wide, hence chopping them, which I had seen done before I bought them.

I need some suggestions:

I want to put some HID spots into my (to be built) custom winch bar, and I mean inside the bar itself, so that means small diameter.

But I can't find any after quite a deal of searching. What am I missing? Surely one company must make a decent HID spot that isn't huge.

All suggestions welcome, but I am not willing to put anything in front of the grille, has to fit into the main bar of the bumper, ideally about 12cm diameter of the outer casing
Damien,
Have you considered LED spotlights? I think they may be available in smaller sizes than HIDs.

Damien,
Have you considered LED spotlights? I think they may be available in smaller sizes than HIDs.

This is my guess. Especially as they are so cheap to produce. Even a moderately priced high output set will likely be able to be replaced in a few years with one even more high output. HID will likely fade out I'd think.

Hi guys,

yeah i have some LED flood lights to go on the side of the bar and point sideways, and a large LED bar to be incorporated into the upper bar, as well as my LED high/low beam headlights, but what i am after is two spots that will give me that long penetration that HID still wins at.

the reality might be that i would need a large profile HID spot to out penetrate all the LED light i will already have, and if thats the case i might just forget about it as i really don't want to block the radiator (nor the condenser or intercooler already blocking it).

I had found these two, and the lightforce one at least should out throw my LEDS, don't know about the baja designs quality, but at roughly 140mm or 5.5" they are just slightly bigger than what i could accomodate, still an option though:
Fuego, HID Spot
Lightforce

I've been looking and reading some more this morning and I think i am kidding myself, and given I need to start the bumper fabrication ASAP and the time to source and import, I think i might be better off to ditch the idea of HIDs inside the bumper. firstly they'll need to be good to out throw the LEDs i already have. Secondly the higher the mount the better the throw, so in the bumper itself won't help that, nor will the size restrictions that imposes. So i think i'll just get on with the bumper fabrication without incorporated HIDs, and put some HIDs on the roof later on if i still think i need them after testing the new bumper and LED bar. one less complication in the already complex bumper as well!

got my OEM fender parts the other day, a small amount of missing parts, but just in time to be able to at least mock them up to be able to start the new bumper and sidebars.

FenderParts1.jpg

FenderParts2.jpg

Hi Damien
I have Light Force Halogen lights , can't remember the model , because I don't need them every day , but just very seldom.
And I don't like the idea of having hem in front of the grill , I opted for putting them on the hood , but....
with a magnetic plate , so that you can tier them off as you like .
the magnetic plate is from a ski holding set for roof , so doesn't come off at high speed neither with corrugated road or jumps
very safe .

bys Renago

Hi Damien
I have Light Force Halogen lights , can't remember the model , because I don't need them every day , but just very seldom.
And I don't like the idea of having hem in front of the grill , I opted for putting them on the hood , but....
with a magnetic plate , so that you can tier them off as you like .
the magnetic plate is from a ski holding set for roof , so doesn't come off at high speed neither with corrugated road or jumps
very safe .

bys Renago
That sounds very interesting, would love to see it. Post it in your build thread if you have a photo.

Not much going on with the build this last week or so, we're moving out of the city into a house in the suburbs so I can better wrench on the car, it has just become too difficult to do all this from a highrise apartment and underground carpark! So hopefully in couple of weeks the move will be over and I'll be able to take this build by the horns, also cutting back my office work hours to 3 1/2 days week which should also help, the reason i didn't do this years ago is the commute is going to be hellish... the gridlocked traffic and lack of abidance or knowledge of road rules here make commuting incredibly stressful, would be an awesome base for a video game i reckon.

I haven't had time to do any trips and rack up big break-in miles since we got back from oz, just a ton of city driving, been driving it like i stole it and the max rpm is starting to get higher and higher, can now get to 4000 rpm with relative ease and it doesn't feel like she's about to explode... terrible milage as one would expect from being heavy footed and revving the crap out of it.

in general i'm very happy with the motor and can't wait to get her on the dyno and give it a better tune.

anyway, with not much getting installed i thought i'd show something at least, here's my double diaphragm brake booster from Mako in Australia that arrived days before we travelled there last year (big delays). I can't say much about it so far until its installed and tested, but they usually have you ship them your booster, they modify it and ship it back. I didn't want to do that obviously, so i had them source one locally and they shipped it out, but because Peru, like many countries, prohibit the import of secondhand parts (so they don't become a trash can for developed countries), I had to get them to go to some lengths to make the modified second hand booster pass as a new part. I was very happy with what they did in the end, as i had been let down (and had parts confiscated) by other aussie sellers previously who had promised to clean up second hand parts and hadn't. hopefully the brake lines still fit as they promised. i hope to get it on a brake testing machine before i put this in so i can measure the difference.

BB%20back.jpg

BB%20front.jpg

Hi Damien

it took me some time ,promise is a promise.
ref extra lights detachable.
this is what I use .
very safe , and easy to on and off , you can orient them as you wish , plus this model of light force has also the zoom option .
you attach them with a filing cable under the hood, and command with a switch inside the cabin .

bye Renago
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG

anyone know this colour code? not quite as chocolate as the brown of my dad's 55 but very nice i think... i still can't find an example online of a 70 in a dark brown, but i reckon it could come up really nice, maybe even keep the white roof, but not sure how it would look with white RRT cover, roofrack, roof-boxes etc.

toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-2.jpg
May be a little bit late.....

this brown is called olive green 653.

Well not much going on as I am still in the midst of our house move, or should I say the troopy's move... we moved solely so I could better wrench on her and finish this build.

Anyway, as to not get off on the wrong foot with new neighbours, I made some time to add the second hot dog to the exhaust, this time with much more reduction than the first one. makes a massive difference in sound reduction, especially the turbo whistle... I have accepted a slight reduction in power, it's noticeable but only just, so I don't think I will need to open her up completely again.

14575468544140.jpg

14575469321390.jpg

Last edited:
Still not much to report other than i've finished our move and setting up the new troopy work area, so i expect to start a long list of mods this week. I'm almost overwhelmed with where to start, but I'm thinking the aircon, alternator and chargers, then lockers and bearings, time will tell

Hey all... question for any cooling experts.

Any ideas on how much of a gap i should leave between radiator - condensor - intercooler?

I can see possible merit for both arguments, as close as possible (less turbulence) and as far apart as possible (more airflow?), but I've yet to decide or hear from an expert which is more valid.

When I previously installed it was setup for as much gap as possible, but as you'll have read my head crack became apparent before i could get any decent amount of miles on it to test. I'm adding a bigger aircon condensor this time (last one was a bit too thin i think), so i have the chance to doo it better.

I also suspect that with big gaps the air might skip the intercooler due to greater resistance and favor the edges of the radiator where resistance will be least, especially if the gaps create turbulence, but I'm guessing really and have no experience myself with this.

Any ideas? I have a maximum of 1 1/2" of space to distribute between both gaps, less if i want.

1460388424534-115014206.jpg

I was also thinking of leaving an even maximum space and putting a thin layer of foam around the edge of the condensor to reduce turbulence and maximise the flow through the area that passes through all three of them. Not sure if that is common.

I guess a good clue for spacing would be to see what the OEM installations of front mounts with AC are like, but i have nothing like that to compare to right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom