1978 shackle hanger length needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for the standard length for a 1978 front and rear shackle hangers. From centre of pin to centre of pin.

Mine looked home made so I threw them away. The new grease able set I bought are way to short.

It seems there is a difference in year models because the local land cruiser forum here seems to think the bought ones are the correct length. (roughly 3 inches) Unfortunately there are not many 40 series in South Africa so confirmation is a problem.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Howzit Grant

I think the shackles are the same on all 40 Series TLCs.

I hit a similar problem today when I started reassembling my '77 HJ45. Tried to do a test fit and hit a snag; I can't get the front springs attached to the shackles, I'm about 25mm short.

I thought the new after market shackles were too short, but when I measured against the old OEM shackles it had originally, they both measure 70mm on the centres.

I had my springs rebuilt and looking at the front springs they seem to be very bowed, certainly compared to what they were. I'm waiting for my axles back from repair and will then try to pull the spring flatter with a strap or something to get it to line up. Failing that I guess I'll have to either get the springs re set again or buy shackles with a 1" lift.

Hi Dagha Boy.
The problem is the springs are different from the 40 series to the 45 series.
That's why the 70mm hangers don't work. It looks like later model 40 became the same as our local 45 series but not 1978.

Hopefully somebody like Beno or WeberSarge will pick up on your problem. They will know. The guy I got my shackles from, Steve at R40 Spares in Nelspruit, actually offered me 1" longer shackles when I bought mine, so longer ones do seem to be readily available. There is a 40 in town which I think may still be on OEM shackles. I need to go to town either tomorrow or the day after and will go measure and let you know.

I checked on the FJ40 in town. It was impossible to tell as it has the ugliest set of farm made shackles that I've ever seen.

Thanks guys but there is still something wrong.

I can say for sure if my springs are original, but they do look it.
My shackles need to be around 4 inches +- 100mm. I have seen pictures with 40 series cruisers with this estimation length.
Looking at pictures looks like the shackles that I thought were ''home made'' were factory. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom