1965 FJ40 "Project Survivor" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

why wouldnt' the oem wheels fit drums? are you sure you weren't hearing the opposite? the early oem wheels were riveted and wouldn't fit disc brakes without some clearancing, but i've never had newer welded rims not fit.

Tell me about these wheels. Will they fit over the drum brakes? I'm trying to find some wheels for my '65 and I was told the oem wheels available won't clear the drums on the front. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Yes OEM wheels welded or riveted will fit your year 40

Thanks for the info guys. I found some old stock wheels on here so I am safe.
Thanks

Any update on the power kings? Looking for new tires on my 63 with stock suspension and these look pretty cool...and cheap. Anybody else have experience with these? Maybe a stupid question but are these "tubed" tires? I know some bias ply are and some are not? How does your 40 track with them?

I've been happy with them, still don't have a ton of miles on them. They have tracked straight for me and balanced easy. Don't know if you'll find a better combination of price and OEM size/ look.

OK, so last question before i buy the power kings, do they need tubes or are these a tubeless bias ply. I can't find any documentation on that.

The later ones get more attention... That's fine with me. I love old three speeds on the column, the windshield handle clamps are cool on the early ones too. I've had seven Soldiers ride in my old 67 in "7 man foam seat comfort"! :steer:

Reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Generals.

This is a great thread. Nice going!

Finally got some time to work on this old girl again. My initial plan was to just do some cleaning up of the engine bay but that quickly turned into this.....

IMG_2119.JPG

Once I started looking around I realized the drive-train was leaking from about every possible seal so I decided to go ahead and pull the drive-train. Then I went to SOR to order some seals and gaskets and got a little carried away :D

IMG_2157.JPG

So now we are doing a full drive-train refresh and new interior :beer:

Looks like it was a good time to pull the drive-train as the clutch and flywheel were shot. Hard to see in the pictures but they were glazed like glass and full of ridges.

IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

Got a little carried away with the pressure washer and blasted off a lot of the paint in the engine bay. Now I'm thinking I'm going to repaint the engine bay and all its components to give a contrasting pop to the patina'd exterior of the 40 :D I've been amazed on all my early trucks how many paint runs there are in the factory finish. The Firewall was no exception and had several large runs in the black paint. Guess Toyota was pretty willy nilly back in the day when they were laying down the paint.

IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG

Spent a lot of time pressure washing and scraping but finally was able to remove 50 years of gunk of the engine. Now it's time disassemble and paint. That's all for now.
IMG_2135.JPG

Thanks Jack! I just hope I can get to the point you are one day and be posting sweet action shots of my Cruiser out in it's natural habitat instead of all ways been half apart in my garage :D

I always use your trip with your Dad to Colorado as a standard. If those guys can drive old Cruisers from South Carolina to Colorado and go wheeling and then return home safely. Then I can drive my LV pretty much any where I want. It's all about dedication.

The old girl looks so much better with original coral seat covers. I love the contrast with the blue.... I have to say though doing upholstery is one of my least favorite Cruiser activities :doh:
IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

I also tried my hand at the proverbial "turd polishing", decided to see what a little wet sending could do on the rust stains around the cancer on the rear sill. It went pretty well though the difference is small but noticeable and I always amazed how rusty old paint can be "shined up" to an extent.

Before:
IMG_2179.JPG

After "turd polishing" :grinpimp:
IMG_2180.JPG

Last bit for today. I stripped the fire wall and then laid down some nice semi-gloss black, first step towards putting her all back together and hitting the trails :beer:

IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG

Agreed. Love the coral upholstery. Often wonder how that color would work on the later 40s--I guess it all depends on the body color. Not planning it, but find it interesting that few folks ever seem to venture too far afield with upholstery choices. I kinda like that buffalo hide that's on one of those by the FJ company.

And by my accounting, you did great installing your covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom