Trying to choose between 1st gen vs 2nd gen for offroading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I'm currently looking for a GX to replace my 15 year old CRV. I live in the Southern CA mountains, and there's a fair amount of curvy roads and steep terrain, sometimes unpaved, as well as about a foot or so of snow each year. I'd be using the GX for offroading on access roads and fire roads, no serious 4x4ing or rock crawling. It would be used for lugging around photography equipment and possibly towing 1 UTV.

I'm trying to narrow down my search because honestly I don't know what gen or year to look for. The 2014-2016 GX460's are slick looking, but I worry about that giant front lip catching on everything if I took it off the pavement. I like the new technology in the 2010-2016 (I'm tired of replacing head units), but I know the 1st gen GX's 4.7's are supposed to be excellent. I don't know if there are any major differences compared between the two engines.

I would like to avoid spending over 45k, and I don't plan on buying new.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm really just looking for the perfect GX that I can take on or offroad without much worry.

I have a 2010 premium and a family member has a 2007. Both are stock with the exception of bfg ko tires on mine. The 2nd gen ('10-present) has better leg room in 2nd row. The center console between the seats is far superior in the 2nd gen as well. The 2nd gen also engages low electronically which some don't like. I have not had an issue but it's worth saying. The 3rd row is very different. 1st gen is removable to flat. The 2nd gen is power folding flat (well the update in 13 made power a option). I am a big guy and have sat in the 3rd row of the 2nd gen. Couldn't really see myself in the 3rd row of the 1st gen. Other updates in the second gen are vented seats and smart key access (never take key out of pocket) the 1st gen are becoming very popular and affordable. If you want to go crazy on the mods the 1st gen would be best but you could be under 45k with a very nice set up GX 460. I will be building up my 2010 GX 460 soon or replacing w a built 200.

I have a 2010 premium and a family member has a 2007. Both are stock with the exception of bfg ko tires on mine. The 2nd gen ('10-present) has better leg room in 2nd row. The center console between the seats is far superior in the 2nd gen as well. The 2nd gen also engages low electronically which some don't like. I have not had an issue but it's worth saying. The 3rd row is very different. 1st gen is removable to flat. The 2nd gen is power folding flat (well the update in 13 made power a option). I am a big guy and have sat in the 3rd row of the 2nd gen. Couldn't really see myself in the 3rd row of the 1st gen. Other updates in the second gen are vented seats and smart key access (never take key out of pocket) the 1st gen are becoming very popular and affordable. If you want to go crazy on the mods the 1st gen would be best but you could be under 45k with a very nice set up GX 460. I will be building up my 2010 GX 460 soon or replacing w a built 200.

Thanks so much for this reply, it was exactly what I was looking for. I am not really looking to mod, just put on some good tires and maybe take off the running boards. I've been looking at a lot of 2010-2013s and they're really growing on me. We recently bought a 2014 ES350 and we just love it so much, we want another Lexus, lol. I think I'm going to start looking pre 2014. Thanks so much for that info, it really helps.

Given the budget, a used 200 Series is the way to go. The only scenario I see otherwise would be if off roading is a very large factor. The difference in power between the 4.7 and 5.7 is not subtle.

This also applies to a lesser degree to the GX460, with the lighter weight making the difference less pronounced. If seriously considering a GX, I would seriously check out the TRD 4Runner.

My girlfriend has a 2015 GX460 premium, I love it, the engine is great, nice 6 speed transmission, good MPG, fantastic interior, nice dash setup. But the parking sensors go off driving down road and have failed to go off when need causing $1500.00 in damage and she has already had a stereo failure. One problem is the front bumper sits very low and that can cause it to hit things. The GX460 front seats are much nicer, the center console a lot better. The second row has heat and cold (GX470 only cold). My girlfriend is a realtor, we live in the mountains of SW CO and she drives in all types of conditions, snow, dust, and mud. the GX460 is a pain in the a$$ to clean. Dust in the door jams there are a lot of little places for it to hide, the rear door and window jams become a mud cake when wet.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a 2006 GX470 with 112k miles for $15k. The 4.7L pulls nicely, the 5 speed shifts nicely, but the 6 speed would be nice. I have the base model, plain radio which I like, adding an after market stereo/gps later, you can not do that on the Nav system GX. I love the idea that the 3 roll seats come out, I will not be using them, putting in a draw system. I like that I can replace the front and rear bumper with steel, ARB in front & Southern Style Off-road in back . I like the 17" wheels over the new 18" wheels. I do not like the arm rest and storage in the center console is VERY LIMITED.

I do plan to modify my GX470 and taking it off road. Since it is a $15k Lexus, I don't feel bad about what I have planned. There are +/- to each. If I am reading it right, what you might like is an early model of the GX460, before the front became that one big piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom