Breed Specific Rescue nonsense (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
The fam and I are looking again for a furry family member. We're really attached to the Huskies/Malamute breeds- and 14 years ago we went through a rescue shelter to get our first Malamute. Pretty painless.

Began searching there again recently- found a big Mal girl that looked promising in Boise. Called them up, told them about ourselves, how we've had this breed before, etc..

I made the mistake of telling them the truth. So, now they won't let us even look at the dog "Because you have kids and chickens".

Apparently, having kids means the dog will be abused. Chickens all have to "either die or be given away before you can have a northern breed dog again. "

F**king crazy b**ches.

We have a big fenced in back yard, the wife wants a running dog, the kids want a furry friend, and I want a good camping dog. We have experience with this breed, and we're not fit adoptables?

F.

Been looking for a Husky or Malamute pup for a while now, and this just kind of got under my skin.

[/rant]

Anyway... here's a pic of our husky that we had to put down last year. Clearly terrorizing the chickens. And yes, she was a rescue as well.

247287_1728261446814_1101668_n.jpg

That's BS. Try the local humane society, I've had excellent luck with them.

Today, unfortunately, the liability factor has overridden common sense..

Everything now seems so screwed up. Nobody seems to know what they are being paid to do or what their job description is. Yes, leave a dog in a cage instead of giving it a family and a real life what kind of sense does that make. I understand making sure that any animal is properly placed but you look at the family instead of preconceived ideas. I really feel sorry for the dog to have missed out on having a great family to live with.

Reactions: Doc
image.jpeg
Finally said f- that noise. Went to a local shelter day at PetCo today. 9 week old poodle / border collie cross, kids are over the moon!

I made the mistake of telling them the truth. So, now they won't let us even look at the dog "Because you have kids and chickens".

Apparently, having kids means the dog will be abused. Chickens all have to "either die or be given away before you can have a northern breed dog again. "

F**king crazy b**ches.
View attachment 1154589
I'm an upland bird hunter and always have two German Shorthair Pointers. My wife loves them, loves the breed, so she has become involved in the Southeast GSP Rescue. Nearly all of the Rescue is made up of women, and most are very condescending and arrogant, or Doc has a more colorful description. There's nothing worse than working with a bunch of angry women. It's not just the GSP rescue, I was helping a friend find a home for an English Setter that was pretty much dropped in his lap. He had bad experiences in the past with rescues so I worked on his behalf. I gave up midway through the 7 page application to SURRENDER a dog, not adopt, and they were the least arrogant ES Rescue group in a 2 state area. Their heart is in the right place, they want to find a good home for dogs, but they are completely out of touch with reality. Trust me, I could go on and on.

My advice is to bypass the Rescue groups and work with your local shelter. Go in there and make a couple of friends, see what donation items they need and help them out. Once they know you a little and see your heart is in the right place, they'll work with you, rather than someone looking for a free bait dog for training their pit bull in the fighting ring, yes this happens. Good luck and post up a pic your new northern dog when you get it.

We did end up with a pound puppy, but not a northern. See the pics directly above your post!

Already started on the clicker training. At 9 weeks this puppy is just flat out smart. Of course, I'm used to dealing with northern (stubborn) breeds, so this whole "Hey- he sits when I tell him to" thing is new to me..... :)

We did end up with a pound puppy, but not a northern. See the pics directly above your post!
You text is below the pic, so I didn't see it at first. Cute pup, I'm glad it worked out that you didn't have to deal with those harpies.

I hear you.

We have gotten a couple from rescues a long time ago. It was much simpler then. We now take them in from owner surrenders or the local humane society.

The rescues have gotten really picky and complicated and well, expensive. They want to do all these inspections, paperwork and have you answer all these questions on things you will and will not do. Some do require they go to obedience school if they are under a certain age.

I don't even look at the rescues anymore. Unfortunate but reality. Reality is also that the ones in the rescues are taken care of and safe. They are loved, taken to the vet and in foster care. The ones in the pound or bad homes are not as fortunate so I feel it is more important to get those a good home first.

this is nothing new.... Its very very hard to adopt a dog from some "official organization" with out an interview/background check process that rivals that of getting a top secret clearance for the NSA. Not to mention more home inspections before and some times after the adoption than an old folks home gets form the state regulatory bodies.

We have a Huskamute more mal than husky, hes a good dog, though kinda timid when it comes to "strange" things. We looked into adopting another one a couple of years ago and because, we didnt have a fenced yard, when the dog has to go out hes on his leash then on a 65' foot chain for about 20 mins then comes back in-freeking-side (this is an unacceptable way to keep a dog it seems) we also have a couple of indoor cats so we were out of the running. But the biggest reason they though we should not be allowed to adopt and ADULT dog, was because I travel for a living and am not home for long periods of time and that might not be a stable enough environment for a DOG........

I am all for the decent treatment of pets and think those that abuse or intentionally cause harm need to be dealt with.... But the "rights" and conditions people have added to just adopting a fxxxing dog or cat in the last 10 years or so has gotten beyond ridiculous....

I should note, I knew about the whole interview process. Accepted it even. But the lady that was to do the home inspection (lives 10 miles from my home) never made time in her schedule to come see my home. I waited 6-8 weeks for her, every week she kept canceling for one reason or another. She would cancel, reschedule, and cancel again.

Last week she was supposed to come by, again. The wifey had some errands to run, so she left the oldest home alone and said she would be back before the "dog lady" showed up. The 10 yr old took it upon himself to vacuum the house, and pick up the errant toys while she was gone to make a good impression on the lady. I ended up getting home before the wifey did, and was really, REALLY, impressed with how clean the house was. About that time, the "dog lady" sent me a message on facebook that "something had come up" and she needed to cancel again.

I was ANGRY. My kid waits for more than month for you to visit, cleans the home- and you cancel on me again? It took me about 2 hours to calm down enough to send a professional-ish sounding response where I pointed out very clearly my disappointment with her. Let me go look for it....

My message to her:

"I understand life happens sometimes. Hey- we're perfect examples of that. my 10 year old cleaned the house today thinking you'd be here and we'd be getting a puppy (new or older) soon. All three have been asking for months now about getting a dog. We are no longer going to wait around to be approved. We have a great home for some dog out there. We just haven't managed to find the right one yet. Going to visit a couple of shelters this weekend to see a few younger dogs. We really don't need some super special pure bred show champion-etc... we just need a furry puddle of dog to share our couch."

Her response:

"best of luck"

So.... yeah. I had been checking local shelters during this whole time, so I knew about the puppies at a shelter in Salt Lake, I e-mailed them and set up a time to see Jack (puppy) at a local adoption event. Walked in, checked him out- walked around the store with him for a bit, took him home. Easy as pie.

Just for reference, any of you that have been through a TS/SCI investigation know how painful that process can be. This rescue adoption process was worse. Never again. In the future should I find myself in need of a dog I will do the pound thing again, or just get a puppy from a breeder.

My wife does Brittany rescue. She drives all over the state to pick up dogs and she does home visits and all the adoption paperwork. We also have usually at least a couple dogs staying with us awaiting placement. Guess who funds most of this. Me.

You cast a wide net. Not all rescue operations are the same.

Her primary reason for visits is to look at the property. Britts are high-energy escape artists and she wants to make sure they are contained safely.

By the way some of her home visits have been over 80 miles one-way. Gas on our dime. Oh, and time.

I'm sure you're wife doesn't wait 6 or 8 weeks to do a home inspection on an adoption that is 10 miles away either.

Just like anything- there are good and bad apples out there. I just happened to find one of the bad ones. (and the only northern breed rescue in my locale).

She may be a day or two out, max. :)

Rescuing pets is admirable and finding them a suitable home is important but it shouldn't be an impediment. A doting owner in a less than perfect home is better than no home at all.

I agree with the shelter approach. I got my last two cats at the humane society and couldn't be happier. Both were so happy to have a home, they bonded with me instantly. They're two of the best pets I've ever owned. My home isn't perfect but my pets are family, that's all that should matter.

Reactions: Doc
[RANT]
Too many of the rescue groups have become for-profit nonprofits. The MO nowadays is to grab any dog that looks at least partially <specialbreed> that show up at the county dog pound or humane society. The <specialbreed> groups get a group discount because they are frequent adopters. They pay $12 for a dog from the Athens (rural) county dog pound, then wash it up and post a free ad on BigCity CL. The dog is free, just pay the $500 "re-homing fee".

We were given our first dog by a rescue group many years ago. Given.

Now we can't talk to them because 1. I'm incensed by their business model and 2. we don't have a fenced yard.

Current dogs came from county shelter for $25. And they woulda been put down because not a <specialbreed>.
[/rant]

^ spot on...
Trending now- "non profiting"
:banghead::bang:

IMG_0001_48.JPG

This is Bailey, from the New Mexico Doberman Rescue. They are a great organization for a very misunderstood bread, and often abused.
Our good friends adopted one from them years ago, and when we decided to add a dog to our family, my son requested a doberman. She is the sweetest, most loyal dog anyone could ask for. This is a very well run local rescue, and one I would recommend if you are looking to provide a good home for this breed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom