Earlier doors on a later tub - fit issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I got my '77 it came with a better condition tub that decided to use, near as I can tell, it's a 1980+ tub based on the location of the seatbelt light.

Anyway, I kept the original doors and now have fit issues. On both sides the doors are touching or almost touching at the bottom rocker panel and on one side touching at the top (will be worst when I install weather stripping). I don't have the top fully installed as I am waiting on the windshield to top gasket - so that issue may go away or get worse when locked down.

I am thinking for the next while, just to get it on the road, of reversing the front hinges which should push the door out 3/8". Is this a really dumb idea? The front edge seems pretty close to factory now and might need a slightly wider seal and I might need to adjust the strap, but I can't think of any other issues (other than the look that will be caught by 1/100 people locally).

Eventually I will look for doors that fit better - but this truck will never see a show or competition....

From mid 65 the doors should be the same size. Hitting at the top and bottom you have other issues. The hinge are adjustable on the tub. Loosen the four bolts and the plate with threaded holes should have some play. On your replacement tub the 78 model have the light on the dash in the same location as later model. Gas tank would still be inside on 78s.

OK - so perhaps a 78 tub then, tank in inside, light in the centre of the dash. The door are '77 for sure.

Am aware of the ability to move the door around for fit re the bolts - however to be honest I didn't try lifting the door significantly - used the movement more to get left right correct. I will try tonight to move it up to see if I can get clearance with enough space for a seal or at least get rid of the contact... Will go for a better dry fit on the top to ensure I am not creating issues there at the same time.

Thx

Pics will help. Lets see how the top fits on the tub and the doors fit around the edges.

X2 what @Living in the Past said.

The '77 doors will fit the '78 tub (and an '80 tub). If they are not fitting there could be multiple causes:
  • Mix and match parts (windshield, hardtop, etc.) not properly adjusted.
  • Tub is tweaked.
  • Doors are tweaked (though this should be obvious from wrinkles and bondo)
  • PO has already done something funky to the tub - side of the tub.

Firewalls often sag/push back over time. Careful use of a highlift jack or a come-along can fix this. Hinge bushings and adjustment would be the next thing to examine (or first actually)

The doors should fit the same... So compare the doors and see what's different.

Here are some pics. Don't focus on the top too much, the windshield angle is forward at the moment.
The doors, even when lifted are still rubbing at base - possible slight concave curve, but at most 1/8 of an inch (if cause, its my fault during door rebuild)
Tub sag should have opposite effect to what I am seeing - if anything a and b pillars are further apart as opposed to sagged closer...
I see now that reversing the hinges wont work (not enough overhang for the hinge).
Next steps I think are to get top affixed and windshield angle correct, adjust door to as high as it will go, place thin weather strip at bottom and see how it goes...I may be able to grind back a 16th then add back thin rubber to seal and prevent metal contact - we shall see...

pic 1 - note gap at catch
pic 2 - rub on rocker
pic 3 - obviously haven't affixed top and windshield
pic 4 - top right
(paint is satin/pearl)

t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
t4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom