What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a good offer, but also a good and serieus new landcruiser owner

I bought a 3B out of a 1982 BJ40 for my 1980 FJ40.

I don't recommend driving from Oakland to LA and back on I-5 the day before Thanksgiving to pick it up.

Now the fun begins...

3B_1982.jpg

Have been working on getting the chassis ready for galvanising, nearly there and then I noticed the front right spring hanger was not aligned with the rear front spring hanger - so, will require a bit of repair and alignment before its galvanised. It explains why it handled a bit strangely on the road
PB290613.JPG

Yesterday was a great day!!

We tested the re-rebuilt power steering pump across Morman Well Road, in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. Total of about 150 miles... ~50 miles in 4Hi on a high clearance road... ~100 at 70-75 mph on pavement.

We drove this same trip back in February... The comparison of the original 44 and the new and improved (rebuilt 2F, rebuilt carb, BOSS air bags) is night and day!!

44 runs so well!! And is such a joy to drive!! I never thought I would feel comfortable driving her at 75 mph... But, it's only running at 36-3800 rpm!!

My two Golden Retrievers loved laying on my bed (the passenger side) and watching the changing views and vistas roll by!!

I'll post a few pictures, but I want to start with a pre and post BOSS air bags comparison of 44's stance

PRE-BOSS: NOTE: Until I saw this picture, back in Feb, I didn't realize just how low 44 was squatting, on the driver's side, with the newly installed 22 gallon auxiliary tank full.

IMG_0036.JPG

POST-BOSS: The BOSS air bags allow me to eliminate the "cruiser lean" completely and I can raise and lower the rear, up to 2.5", with just a bit of air. This picture is with the hitch carrier loaded with about 120 lbs of "stuff" and the 22 gallon aux tank full (22 gal * 8 lbs/gal = 176 lbs)... so, almost 300 lbs behind the rear axle.

IMG_0663.JPG

So, the BOSS bags are well worth the $329 I paid and the couple of hours i invested in installing them!!

Here are three more 'yesterday' pictures, to round out this post:

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

Last edited:
Danny,

Nice pictures ! , but the "44" looks like it lost the trail of the Nomad convoy.

I suggested it already before when you only had Gunner, but it seems you are really in need of a FJ45 with all the goodies you carry around for your best buddy's.

:cheers:

;)
Danny,

Nice pictures ! , but the "44" looks like it lost the trail of the Nomad convoy.

I suggested it already before when you only had Gunner, but it seems you are really in need of a FJ45 with all the goodies you carry around for your best buddy's.

Oh, I lost my way long ago Eric!

I remember! Yes, an FJ45 would provide more room. But, then daBoise would want to take more toys... I have a great roof rack, for long trips. But, I'm very pleased with the hitch carrier, for day trips and overnights.

It "seems" like day trips should require very little planning and preparation. But, the truth is, we spend our time driving thru very unforgiving areas, so we have to carry everything we need to be self sufficient until help arrives or we can hike out.

We have a 2-car garage that is full of tools, etc., with only enough room to pull 44 and Dianna's car into their spaces. My poor Tundra sits alone at night...

A 45 won't fit in our garage... Maybe when we build a 20-car garage, like your's... :rolleyes:

44 was my 44th wedding anniversary gift... I am very satisfied... I have spent a lot of money making her perfect, for my needs. I will happily drive her as long as I am able!! ;)

Have been working on getting the chassis ready for galvanising, nearly there and then I noticed the front right spring hanger was not aligned with the rear front spring hanger - so, will require a bit of repair and alignment before its galvanised. It explains why it handled a bit strangely on the road...

Well spotted Dave...:clap:

Unwrapped my new-to-me door limiters / door stops that I recently bought from @miker .

After some research I finally figured out how they get installed but realized I needed to get creative to hack up a door pin solution.

Got two 5/16 x 1.5" stainless bolts, 8 nylon washers and 2 nuts .

Here's the end result of the drivers side. What say mud, is this a Bad hack job or creative ingenuity?

Now I need to figure out how to lube them up. Dry graphite, grease or silicone spray?

My front fenders are happy finally...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448832069.939570.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448832087.382030.jpg

Recently I purchased a rear step (unfinished) from @Racer65 at a great deal, he basically made an offer that I couldn't refuse. I received the step this past week, and today I cleaned the raw metal and also primed it and now it's ready for some hard non-skid finish. The hard non-skid finish will be applied tomorrow, I wanted to give the primer sufficient time to dry, at least twenty four hours, in a heated 70* room.

Here are a few pics of the step:

Pic prior to being shipped to me
full

Pic after thoroughly cleaned with de-natured alcohol
full

Step primed and reading for a hard non-skid coating
full

full

I've waited couple of years to buy this step and now that I have it I can't wait to install it.:hillbilly:

Love how you timed that pic to catch that little lefty, righty, break.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom