Builds Shipwreck (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

someone commented that my cables won't be enough to run the motor and the winch.... lol... with me, it's not done until it's over done

onto the front

I've no idea why GM designed this so you couldn't take a valve cover off without taking the front of the motor off... I fixed it

and time to do some CAD work

and there we go... test fit, and waiting for paint to dry

$80.00 for crapola reservoir holders....

and yes, that's stainless steel... again, it's not done until over done.... I might even polish them simply because I can.

Making good progress. I didn't mean to say your cables weren't big enough-I didn't know what cables you were gonna use. I just mentioned with the batteries back their you will need some big cables, which I guess you have. Since you are beginning wiring this beast, have you thought about wiring in a under hood light of some sort? That would be cool if you need to check something out at night in the woods.

I've had this LED "system" that plugs into a lighter and has 9 3-led lights that you can mount anywhere.... I'm thinking using those only hardwiring it into the wiring harness... there will be lights (just not yet convinced that this stuff isn't one of those christmas-presents-from-someone-who-knows-you-like-cars that they got off the $2 rack at O'Reilly's), I utterly hate (because it never seems I break down in sunny, daylight hours) working under a black undercarriage with no lights in the middle of the night (and it's generally raining).... it's why I'm not painting the stainless skid-plate and the underbody is tan.... it may look a bit dirty over time, but at least I can see to fix whatever ails it. I also carry a blanket that is water-proof on one side and fleece on the other.

about the cable, I got it - and you made a really good point - which is why I commented then pointed it out later. I'll actually point out something else when I go to wire it - the ground cables being the same size to non-corroding terminals - I know I seem like a know-it-all, but honestly, it's really good when people point out things that I didn't document; especially (like the cable thing) when it's something that will bite you at the worst-possible time. and there are times when it is something I hadn't thought about... though that's kind of rare because I've made lots of mistakes and fixed lots of mistakes both of my own and the ones people bring to me....

Pictures ... not a lot of progress, but some - when I went to my parents, I could use my dad's (much better and much larger) brake and shear. I took advantage of it.

So I bent this up 16 ga SS 304 #4 finish.... I'll have to fix that finish - I'm not too much into "shiney"

Or, I'll simply continue the diamond plate deal across

and the belt... 3rd time was a charge... 101" IIRC

all this removal to get one hose clamp

upper hose done

I could have sworn I took a picture of the lower hose... but no, but it's done too... so the cooling system is now connected and waiting on Evan's HP coolant. I figure since the system is bone dry, that I can try the waterless stuff - since the FJ40 is renown for its cooling issues, perhaps a bit of preventative at this point is a good idea. If not, I'm sure I'll let you folks know that too.

someone was concerned I didn't have enough room for sliders... lol

stainless

finishing up the battery box

and onto the tailgate...

keep in mind that the corners are going to be matte black

tomorrow, straighten the line

I'm still looking for hinges and hinge ideas so that it folds down flat, and the hinges aren't exposed... but I'll not spend much more time since this needs to be done next so I can get onto the rear tire carrier.

Why the fxxx would you put diamond plate on a good body?

good lord, did Pirate go down thereby releasing the trolls?

wait until he finds out that I hacked up a perfect, rust-free FJ40 to get room for the wheels and that I cut perfect front fenders in half then again to clear the springs.... :crybaby:

btw - if anyone needs any rust-free, straight, perfect panels.... :rolleyes: on the other hand, if anyone needs any parts from a FJ40 that got rear-ended, covered in 2" thick of bondo, then painted with house paint... I've got lots of that.

wait until he finds out that I hacked up a perfect, rust-free FJ40 to get room for the wheels and that I cut perfect front fenders in half then again to clear the springs....

I'm no troll, genuinely wondering why you'd go through all that work than cover it up and make it look like you're hiding rust. Whatever floats your sinking ship.

I have thought about using diamond plate since it helps strengthen the quarter panel and not take as much damage when sliding against rocks or trees. But I like my quarter panels naked so people can see the paint. Either way.

bingo, and I am covering up a really screwed up quarter panel. It would either take complete replacement or a lot of bondo to fix the left corner. I like diamond plate on the corners. And there it is, I don't care that others have opinions; I have zero patience when they think their opinion is anything more than an opinion.... honestly, getting cussed out for a decision on my rig? really? what raises the opinion to troll is I've said all of this before (with pictures)... thus, a troll.

I heard this yesterday and it made me laugh - "you don't like my build? go to hell, you like it? it's for sale" :)

I'm no troll, genuinely wondering why you'd go through all that work than cover it up and make it look like you're hiding rust. Whatever floats your sinking ship.

because I don't do s*** work - so what it's not seen? Simply because it's not seen doesn't mean I can cover it up... why is this so hard for you to understand?

Butting in where I don't belong...

Perhaps you didn't mean it... your question came across as confrontational...

My apologies - I read your thread on Pirate in its entirety (hoping for technical discussion, was devoid of anything constructive unfortunately) and merely skimmed through this thread on here and briefly saw the whole tub in primer assuming you "restored" it.

Now this is a technical forum as well and I won't get into the semantics of opinions. But I will say that TYPICALLY FJ40's have diamond plate to cover rust. My thought was my first post yesterday. Perhaps that was too crude. Sorry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom