Cruising at 70 mph! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1911, if I may ask, what was the ballpark cost of that combo? I have the F.5 and it likes about 60 mph, not that I want to go too much faster, but I also don't want to sacrifice low range speed...

3.70s will reduce RPMs by 10%. Off road this means an increase in minimum speed by 10%.
So, depending on how you wheel, you may end up going faster than you want. For where I drive I decided to make that compromise and don't regret that choice.
Good to know. I mostly keep my 40 on the road so the wheeling aspect isn't really a concern for me>

It also becomes uncomfortable real quick when you are going 70 and someone cuts you off or something comes into your path. Short wheel base, high center of gravity, speed and having to take evasive actions never ends well.

x2 ... not fun

1911, if I may ask, what was the ballpark cost of that combo? I have the F.5 and it likes about 60 mph, not that I want to go too much faster, but I also don't want to sacrifice low range speed...

It's been some years so I'm not sure I remember correctly, but the "reconditioned" H41 was $700 on sale at SOR, the Orion kit was $1,200 or $1,300, and I paid @Poser to build it and ship it to me on a pallet. I don't remember what he charged. I already had the 3.70 diffs since they came stock in my 1980 40. So I have over $2,000 in it at least, but like I said it was worth it to me. Love this combo.

It also becomes uncomfortable real quick when you are going 70 and someone cuts you off or something comes into your path. Short wheel base, high center of gravity, speed and having to take evasive actions never ends well.

Considering that, it makes sense to "cruise" at 60-65, even if I could do 80, my rig would say to me, WTF

Seriously? What's the rush ??? Half the adventure is getting there. The other half is going places that others cannot once you are there.

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

I swapped diffs to 3.70s and upgraded tires with 33s, 60mph is comfortable on a daily basis. I live on the coast, and it's at least a 3 to 4 hour drive to the 'mountains' - so I wanted low RPMS and easier driving. I did have to sacrafice the off the line prowness these were never known for....

Elsie did 75mph - on a trailer behind my F350. If it ever does 100mph, it'll be when it falls out of an airplane....

One of the signs of middle age is when you become more interested in how long something will last, rather than how fast it will go.

:cheers:

How fast did we get up to in your 45 Mark??? :D

One of the signs of middle age is when you become more interested in how long something will last, rather than how fast it will go.

:cheers:

I must not have hit middle-age yet :flamingo:

I want to put a sign on the rear window of my cruiser that says, "going as fast as I can go" so people will stop giving me dirty looks for going 60mph.

I want one that says

"Let's talk about it when YOUR rig is 50 years old!"

Just driving around the city I stay at 2750 rpm which is around 64 65 mph. Since I was driving through pretty much flat terrain for long distances I was around 3000 to 3250. The 40 wasn't appearing to be straining or under any stress. Redline is 4K.

I wish. Are you sure your speedo is correct? At 2750 I'm probably just about 55mph. 4.10s and 33s. Pretty sure mine is right because everyone is riding my a$$ on the highway.

I wish. Are you sure your speedo is correct? At 2750 I'm probably just about 55mph. 4.10s and 33s. Pretty sure mine is right because everyone is riding my a$$ on the highway.
my speed is off because of the larger tires but i use my an app called speed box to get my speed.

3.70 gears are often considered less desirable, as a result, you can often pick up a pair of thirds for $100 from a 60 series. In my case, they were in great shape and much lower mileage than the 40 year old set of 4.11s I was running. :cheers:

I want to put a sign on the rear window of my cruiser that says, "going as fast as I can go" so people will stop giving me dirty looks for going 60mph.

I've been tempted to get a sticker that says 'This is a TRUCK not a sports car'

Mine too. Im sure my 2 2f 40s will go way past 75 but its been years since i cranked them so hard. The drivetrains dont appreciate it.

My FJ40 w/ 2F SM420, 4.88's and 35" tires runs 65-70 no problem on flat ground.
It is turning 3200-3400 rpms. But I have been driving it this way for 13 years since the motor was rebuilt.

3.70 gears are often considered less desirable, as a result, you can often pick up a pair of thirds for $100 from a 60 series. In my case, they were in great shape and much lower mileage than the 40 year old set of 4.11s I was running. :cheers:
i haven't been able to find a pair of thirds in that price range.

i haven't been able to find a pair of thirds in that price range.

If you are looking, post in the Classifieds, post in your local Clubhouse also. SEARCH is your friend... With so many people flipping trucks nowadays, posted prices for parts for sale will be higher than what you might get member - member.

(Hijack over)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom