Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see your Russell's reserve. I live about half hour from the Wild Turkey distillery as well as most all the other bourbon distilleries. Buffalo Trace is in town as well as Jim Beam. Old Taylor and Makers are close by, Four Roses and Heaven Hill.
I'm usually a Jamison guy but we had a bunch of left over Turkey product from an event we did. About to try it out.

Weather held long enough to make to Lubbock. Freezing rain coming down now. Hopefully the roads are good to get the diesel trucking around lunch.
Trasharoo is frozen solid. Took it off because it needs some help. I managed to crack both buckles last night by stepping on them. Right now they are duck taped to hold but I need to try a better fix. I'm going to move it into the hotel bath tub tonight to thaw.
I also failed to bring a ice scraper. I don't think I even own one. The 80 is going to be frozen pretty good by morning.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
How far is the drive to moab for you? Looks like nice weather in moab for you. Was in the upper 90's when I there in July..... Hot!

Next time you go maybe we will have an impromptu Cummins 80 series meet.

How far is the drive to moab for you? Looks like nice weather in moab for you. Was in the upper 90's when I there in July..... Hot!

Next time you go maybe we will have an impromptu Cummins 80 series meet.
I still have 11 hours to go. About 16-17 from home. My usual route is to hit Ouray, CO first and then head into Moab. A perfect late summer/early fall combo. More Cummins the better. Only other one I've wheeled with is @The Phoenician

Mixing 2 stroke oil in it every tank?
It was scene when I added it today. Since it was stored on the outside it pretty thick due to the cold. I thought I would squeeze the bottle to speed up the process of getting it into the tank. Fail. Half the bottle oozed all over the side of the truck. Surprisingly it cleans up well and doesn't leave an odor on your hands.

I still have 11 hours to go. About 16-17 from home. My usual route is to hit Ouray, CO first and then head into Moab. A perfect late summer/early fall combo. More Cummins the better. Only other one I've wheeled with is @The Phoenician
We gotta wheel more often. Hoping to have the lockers installed this week.

Sounds like a very similar drive to mine to get there. Just shy of 20hours, not really any nice stops along the way like you though. Stopping there this summer on our family road trip just cemented the fact that I need more Moab in my life.......and moab in a truck.

Sounds like a fun fuel stop.... Nice part with your setup you stop half as often now.

Not too bad this morning. It's starting to drip off the truck so that's a good thing. I'm going to give the roadways a bit more traffic movement before heading out.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448724711.248252.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448724725.261603.jpg

Made it to Bloomfield, NM today. The late morning start driving on s***ty iced roads sucked. Once i got out of the weather I made good time. I was a semi passing machine on I40. This guy, Clinton Anderson the "down under cowboy" was driving his semi like he stole it. Maybe he was late for the rodeo or had a load of Coors for Big and Little Enos. He was cutting people off left and right.
image.jpeg

So the truck developed a coolant leak right at the thermostat housing. It's a drip like a slow leaking faucet at the moment only when it's running. Anyone that has followed this thread knows I had already replaced it once already. We put some sealant around it to see that that does. Waiting for it to dry before starting it up.
I tried calling Dustin, Diesel Adapters, to get one overnighted but like alway got the recorder. Hoping he calls knowing it's important. May have to pull it and if it's cracked get it welding here in town.

Well we haven't heard anything from Dustin so we are SOL and having to fix it here in Moab.

We got to 4x4 Outpost and we are taking the thermo housing adaptor off to have it TIG welded.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's awful that the housing is broken again. Time to move to another accessory system I think.

Can't find a crack. We got it cleaned up and will put new sealant on and see what if it leaks
Of course no call back from Dustin yet.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448910915.820335.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448910933.747264.jpg

Dustin called. We are overnighting an updated version here once I get an address to ship to. Hoping for the best.

New sealant didn't work. Not has bad but not worth the risk in backcountry. The group went on and hopefully I'll catch up tomorrow afternoon once I install new housing.

Man that really sucks! Hope it all works out. If you have time can you post pictures showing the differences? I know the new one removes the twist lock setup, just can't visualize how. If you don't have time totally understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom