What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our club helped a members dad clear some dead fall saturday, was a lot of fun, and we went home with the wood we could pack. Some huge timber skidded out by tractors, and 2 cruisers.
image.jpg

I cleaned my cold start injector because, well, it had never been cleaned. Ever. 23 years of owning my 80 and I didn't even know what it did. Well, I saw @tacosupreme post about cleaning his so I figured I would do it. Took about 5 minutes. The first cold start after was slow like it had been. Took about 3 seconds to start. Waited a couple of hours and tried again. Took .4 seconds to start. Crazy. My son says "I don't like it dad. It sounds new." haha.

On the plus side mine wasn't as nasty at @tacosupreme's! :flipoff2:

IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG

Called up my local Toyota the other day to get a price for a t-case rear output bearing and they told me $135, that sounds a bit steep hey..? Told them I'd look around first...
That seems way too high. It's been a couple years since I bought one, but I'm thinking I paid 50 or a little less from @beno or @Sam Stewart . I was replacing just cause I was in there already. At the price they quoted you the old one would have went back in. (It seemed fine)

I cleaned my cold start injector because, well, it had never been cleaned. Ever. 23 years of owning my 80 and I didn't even know what it did. Well, I saw @tacosupreme post about cleaning his so I figured I would do it. Took about 5 minutes. The first cold start after was slow like it had been. Took about 3 seconds to start. Waited a couple of hours and tried again. Took .4 seconds to start. Crazy. My son says "I don't like it dad. It sounds new." haha.

On the plus side mine wasn't as nasty at @tacosupreme's! :flipoff2:

View attachment 1168884 View attachment 1168886

Forgive me father, but I haven't read about this for a 1FZ and have for the 3FE...this is not applicable to us with the fancy 1FZ, is it?

Forgive me father, but I haven't read about this for a 1FZ and have for the 3FE...this is not applicable to us with the fancy 1FZ, is it?

Correct. The newfangled 1FZ-FE does not have this. (At least that is what I have read.)

Took a picture after its second drive in 4 years!!! Still needs allot of work. Going into torfab at the end of December to get twin sticks installed, or at least some sort of transfer case shifter.lol

I love the look of 35s and no lift on these trucks :)

Last edited:
Your reaching. Taking 5 minutes to clean this one part at least once every 20 years is not as bad as replacing a PHH.........:flipoff2:

Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 11.32.21 PM.png
Got the 42" light mounts grinded to fit the Baja Rack and figured out, and of course had to let the whipper see if his old man could still keep up. Barely...

Took a picture after its second drive in 4 years!!! Still needs allot of work. Going into torfab at the end of December to get twin sticks installed, or at least some sort of transfer case shifter.lol

I love the look of 35s and no lift on these trucks :)
I think 37s would look even better.

Took a trip to Reno with my girlfriend and her parents. Made a quick stop on the way so her parents could play in the snow for the first time in about 10 years.

IMG_20151127_164044.jpg

took the kids sledding. My first real foray onto snow and ice. Ended up performing a taxi role, shuttling the little critters up the sledding hill once they got too tired to walk...
Ironically, my 80 has one of the best 4WD systems in the world, yet it handles worse than one of my kid's plastic sleds! Could it be the tires? It came with Wrangler MTRs. Wondering if having the tires siped would help. Do not look forward to driving this at icy highway speeds. And yes, I still running tire pressures in the mid 30s.

Took a 600+ mile round trip to the deer lease outside of Kingsville TX. Ran like a champ while sucking down fuel.

image.jpeg

took the kids sledding. My first real foray onto snow and ice. Ended up performing a taxi role, shuttling the little critters up the sledding hill once they got too tired to walk...
Ironically, my 80 has one of the best 4WD systems in the world, yet it handles worse than one of my kid's plastic sleds! Could it be the tires? It came with Wrangler MTRs. Wondering if having the tires siped would help. Do not look forward to driving this at icy highway speeds. And yes, I still running tire pressures in the mid 30s.

Def tires. Best place to start. I had a similar experience with BFGs. By far the worst snow/ice tire just above racing slicks.

Had installed a 79" CVT awning on my INTI rack using some very beefy Baja Rack 5" awning mounts. They fit perfectly on my INTI too! I still had a good 27 inches of the awning w/o support as the very front portion of an INTI rack has 8" rails. The OCD in me wanted just that extra support in that 8" section of my rack. I bought a 3' piece of 1" steel from Home Depot and using my little Harbor Freight welding gun I use to light fires with, I was able to get the steel hot enough to bend it around a 1" pipe. A few cuts with a jig saw, some cleaning up with my BIL's grinder and welding from SIL's SO for the welds, I was able to copy the Baja Rack mount design in an 8" version. Turned out pretty well for a rookie metal fab job.

First pic is the three Baja Rack mounts. Second is my imitation in an 8" version.

CVT Awning 002.JPG
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom