What is the EDIC system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the EDIC system. I found that it was utilized in the J4 diesel models, and if you ask me - it seems like a complicated vulnerable system. The later models (J7) with the 1HZ don't have this system and are even simpler with no EDIC (if you ask me). I have a hard time understanding why Toyota introduced a complicated EDIC system 40 years ago, and then 30 years ago went to a simpler system. Or maybe I don't understand history :)

For instance, does the EDIC system also have a fuel cut solenoide valve?

Lucas

For instance, does the EDIC system also have a fuel cut solenoide valve?

The EDIC system is, in essence, the fuel cut out solenoid.. its just an external solenoid that pushes the fuel control arm on the Injection Pump into the STOP position when you turn off the vehicles ignition and pulls it into the START position when you crank the engine. When the engine is running the EDIC leaves the Fuel Control arm in the default RUN position.

The EDIC also provides a Low Oil Pressure cut out.

Very dated technology but when well maintained, generally, just works. Not unusual to see them removed when they go wrong and an old choke cable used as a "stop cable" instead.

Last edited:
I would recommend a PTO cable over a choke cable as you need to control the fuel enrichment on start up.

Does this mean that you can fully replace the EDIC with a wire+lever (similar to bonnet opening mechanism) inside the car which you just operate manually?

Does this mean that you can fully replace the EDIC with a wire+lever (similar to bonnet opening mechanism) inside the car which you just operate manually?

Yes, absolutely.. my 2H has been running with a Stop Cable and no EDIC for years.

If you're not a in super cold place you dont even need the ability to put the pump into the "START" position which is essentially an over-fuel position. You just need a two position setup.. RUN and STOP.

With nothing connected to the Fuel Control Arm on the Injection Pump it defaults to the "RUN" position. To stop the engine push the arm forward (towards the radiator). A choke cable, if used, should loop around from the firewall and come into the front of the pump so that when the cable is pulled to shutoff the engine the Fuel Control arm is pulled forward into the STOP position.

There's a few downsides to using a cable, you just need to be aware of them. They are:

• You lose the EDIC Low Oil Pressure Shutoff mechanism - I've fitted a Low Oil Pressure Buzzer in its place.
  • If you stall and roll backwards the 2H is capable of starting up in reverse if you're not quickly onto the clutch.. its never happened to me and I've also heard of this happening with an EDIC still fitted anyway.
  • As mentioned above you lose the START (overfuel) position. I've never had an issue starting my 2H, it MIGHT be an issue if you're in a very cold place. On a recent trip to Tasmania (https://i.imgur.com/FIvcfcM.jpg) I had no problem starting on a number of mornings around the -3°C mornings. Of course your glow system must be in good working order.

The technical term for that type of cable used for a choke and a bonnet release cable is a "Bowden Cable" there's all sort of parts on EBay that you can use to craft up an elegant solution.

A few images of my cable setup here:

EDIC Cable

And a diagram showing my Low Oil Pressure buzzer setup here:

https://i.imgur.com/riIERH0.png

Last edited:
I cannot see why the system needs this overfuel mode during startup. As far as I am aware, the 1HZ, L, 2L and 3L dont have this: They are in either stop and go :). Pure mechanical pumps with no sensors.

I cannot see why the system needs this overfuel mode during startup.

Yes, I'm unconvinced its required at all.. I suspect on a very cold morning that an additional glow cycle, or the glows held on for a short time after starting would overcome the lack of the Overfuel position (if it were even required)

Last edited:
Concerning overfuel: In my owners manual for my 1HZ and L engine it says to press the accelerator pedal somewhat during startup. Maybe this action is doing what the EDIC is doing. Just very very manually :).

Concerning overfuel: In my owners manual for my 1HZ and L engine it says to press the accelerator pedal somewhat during startup. Maybe this action is doing what the EDIC is doing. Just very very manually :).

Nope.. the overfuel position on the 2H Injection Pumps dumps even more fuel than a Wide Open Throttle would dump (provided the butterfly is open).

I seriously dont believe the overfuel position is required.

Last edited:
My 1985 2h edic does the walk with key on it shuffles from full forward into mid way run position when starting it goes forward then full back when engine starts it goes back to midway run position. Turn the key off and the edic lever goes forward shutting the engine down and stays there until next key on.

The diesel mechanic at work told me how he set up his pump with a PTO cable on his old hj60 wagon. He also said once he put a turbo on the 2h he never worried about enriching on hills again. ;)

Yes, absolutely.. my 2H has been running with a Stop Cable and no EDIC for years.

If you're not a in super cold place you dont even need the ability to put the pump into the "START" position which is essentially an over-fuel position. You just need a two position setup.. RUN and STOP.

With nothing connected to the Fuel Control Arm on the Injection Pump it defaults to the "RUN" position. To stop the engine push the arm forward (towards the radiator). A choke cable, if used, should loop around from the firewall and come into the front of the pump so that when the cable is pulled to shutoff the engine the Fuel Control arm is pulled forward into the STOP position.

There's a few downsides to using a cable, you just need to be aware of them. They are:

• You lose the EDIC Low Oil Pressure Shutoff mechanism - I've fitted a Low Oil Pressure Buzzer in its place.
  • If you stall and roll backwards the 2H is capable of starting up in reverse if you're not quickly onto the clutch.. its never happened to me and I've also heard of this happening with an EDIC still fitted anyway.
  • As mentioned above you lose the START (overfuel) position. I've never had an issue starting my 2H, it MIGHT be an issue if you're in a very cold place. On a recent trip to Tasmania () I had no problem starting on a number of mornings around the -3°C mornings. Of course your glow system must be in good working order.

The technical term for that type of cable used for a choke and a bonnet release cable is a "Bowden Cable" there's all sort of parts on EBay that you can use to craft up an elegant solution.

A few images of my cable setup here:

EDIC Cable

And a diagram showing my Low Oil Pressure buzzer setup here:

Hi Duncanrm,

Thank you for posting this information. This has been confusing me for months but now I understand the whole system. Thank you big time!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom