Alaska Cruiser Trek... Happening again in 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
I haven't been sending much time online and even less participating in any forums for a couple of years now. And actually I guess that holds true for most of the folks who have been involved in making the Alaska Cruiser Trek happen in the past. And it seems that several years have slipped by since the last full on Trek was held. Back in 2010 actually. We held what we jokingly calling the "NotaTrek" in 2011, with just a couple of participants from outside joining us. In 2014 a handful of devoted repeat Trekkers came up for a small virtually private outing supported by only a couple members of the Alaska Cruiser Crew when myself and several others who expected to be involved wound up providing support for a film production crew instead.

Anyway, I imagine that the Alaska Cruiser Trek has probably slipped out of awareness and conversion some due to the lack of activity. But we have missed hosting it and missed the time spent with the good people who have come up to join us on the trails over the years. So after a bit of discussion and consideration we've decided that it's time to set some dates make some calls and put the word out.

It's happening. Nine mid-summer days on the Alaskan trails. Rivers and forests, tundra and glaciers, rocks and bogs. Lots of daylight, not much darkness. July 9, 2016 through July 17, 2016. We'll be wandering along the southern edge of the eastern end Alaska Range weather permitting. If the rivers rise unexpectedly like they have done on a couple of occasions in the past, we'll be sending our time asking the eastern side of the Talkeetnas instead. Either way, it's some beautiful country, far from the beaten path.

This is just the initial announcement. There will be lot more information coming soon. But feel free to use this thread to toss out any questions or comments you might have.

Looking forward to sharing our world with the quality people that always join us on the Treks.

Mark...

IMG_20150602_133914.jpg

IMG_20150112_231343.jpg

IMG_20150717_233947.jpg

IMG_20151026_195110.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, been waiting for this. Put me down for one rig two people. Looking forward to a great trip

subscribed!!

Currently the expectation is that the minimum requirements for the rigs will be unchanged from the standards they have evolved to in the past. Basically:

35 inch mud terrain tires (we're pretty firm on that. We've let people sneak by with a smaller tires or slightly less aggressive tread patterns in the past and regretted it). At least one locker (a real locker not, a limited slip or ATRACS or anything like that.) All rigs are required to have a snorkel and waterproofing sufficient to stop and stand in three foot depth of water. We require a 2 meter radio for communications, and an on board fuel capacity of at least 36 gallons. Recovery points are requirement at both ends of the vehicle.

There may be something that I'm overlooking as I sit here, kind of tired, at the end of the day. Will be putting out an official list shortly.

We also have a list of suggestions and recommendations that do not qualify as requirements, and some requirements along with suggestions and recommendations for gear and supplies. But nothing particularly unusual.

And of course a number of things to you wouldn't think you would have to say but if you ask us we would say yes of course that's required. For example an exhaust system, brakes that function, and basic things like that that you would like to hope nobody needs to be told are required.

Mark...

Sub'd. :steer:

oh dammit!! triennial onsite audit at work scheduled for 7/11/16-7/14/16. :mad::bang::censor::flush:

If shipping a truck, recommended city to ship to? Flying in. Thx

Sent from my iPhone

If shipping a truck, recommended city to ship to? Flying in. Thx

Sent from my iPhone

Anchorage is where you would want to ship and fly into. Most shipping companies ship from the ports of Seattle or Tacoma.

Hi mark, I am very interested in this trip.

We just completed a 10k mile round trip solo (not our choice, everyone else sissied out so we went for it) from Washington to all over Alaska and the NWT. driving up to the Knik glacier, and various other destinations.

My truck is a 100" wheelbase turbo diesel land rover with fj80 axles and ARBx2. I have a 350 mile range on alaskan roads in the tank, and including my two jerrys can exceed 600. doesn't change much offroad.

Other bits include safari snorkle and 255/85/16 (33.1) toyo MT on Staun inner beadlocks, (4) maxtrax ramps, 2m radio. also carry a readywelder and full toolkit.

36" of fording depth is no problem.

I built the truck, and know it intimately.

Would you consider letting me join you even though I have small tires, and my truck is only 30% FJ :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom