Fzj80 what axle will fit stock wheels and tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sorry if this question comes up a lot. Cant seem to find any basic answers to my question. Im considering building a offroad style trailer for my welding business so i can mount my engine drive, cylinders, tools, etc. if i end up buying myself a axle to start this build, what do i need on the axle specs in order to fit my stock 80 series wheels and tires.
Im a little ignorant of the measueing system. Iv heard of things like 6 on 5.5. I got six studs so thats prob the 6. Whats the 5.5 measuement? Is this all i need to know in order for my wheels to fit a trailer axle?

Id love to find some basic info on how to build a trailer too. Im a welder, but things like where to center axle, hub, wheel and suspension stuff i still kinda have some qestions about.
Thanks for any help

5.5" is the bolt circle diameter.
You also have to match the bolts outer diameter to the wheel holes inner diameter, and make sure the hub fits the center hole of the wheel.
And of course ensure that the wheel backspacing is such that the wheel or tire won't rub anything on the trailer, that's related to the hubs separation distance.

e9999: thanks for the info, but i guess I'm still a little confused. Is there anyone out there that has used a axle in the 3500# range that would be a direct fit for fzj 80 1997 wheels. Theres gotta be someone that has done this with a offroad/camping trailer for their 80 series. As far as tire clearance I'm planning on running 33 inch tires and the fab. of the wheel wells would be up to me on that one as far as fit goes.

Redneck Trailer has a handy axle assembly spec page:
Catalog - Axle Assemblies | 3,500 lb | 3500 lb. Axle Assemblies | 6 on 5 1/2” | Electric |

Dexter is a common quality brand. I think I got the link that takes you to a 6 on 5.5 axle. It does have electric brakes, but you can spec it without, or with other brake options. Given it's cheaper to buy a complete braked axle than add them to an existing exle, if buying new that may be what you want to do. Complete braked axles were under $400 last I checked and they can build to your specs.

You can also get just a hub assembly to replace your current hubs if you already have the axle. Check with Redneck or Southwest Trailer Parts:
Southwest Trailers and Equipment - Parts Department - Serving your trailer and truck equipment needs since 1993

EDIT: OK, wiffed that last one into the woods. STP may in fact have hubs. I remembered I was actually thinking of these folks, Southwest Wheel, for the hubs:
Trailer Parts
Note that they list 2 hubs for 6 by 5.5, depending on whether you have the 42 spindle or the 84 spindle:
Trailer Hub Kits

You should check with them first on what you need for your axle if just doing a hub conversion.

Last edited:
I ordered a Dexter axle w/6 on 5.5 hubs. More specs in link in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom