Heater Buddy and Little Buddy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone used these in their tents???? They don't reccomend above 7000 ft. Safe? Apparently have O2 sensor on board. What does everyone think??

I don't want to be a total dick...but there must be 13 threads covering this very dilemma/subject...did you even look?

Gee thanks~!!

There's always one............................................ Fortunately most on here at least try! No wonder I left NY.

There's always one............................................ Fortunately most on here at least try! No wonder I left NY.
Actually he was being nice, many are not that considerate.

For example try that post over on Pirate4x4 and see what the response is.

He's been trying for years now to find Big Foot and keeps striking out. He's a cranky old bitch because of it...

Most just ignore him.

Mr Buddy, although not ideal, work. Just be smart and it will all work out...

I use one in my cruiser. Perfectly safe.

took a little buddy camping last month, used a large tank with an accessory hose - was great! (I also brought an inexpensive co2 detector just for extra peace of mind.

Gil

I've seen one in action "trying" to heat a small cargo trailer, which didn't really work. It will have a better chance in a tent with a much smaller volume.

The wife and I used a Buddy this weekend with no issues at all. Marmot 4-person, 3-season tent, lows of 28, foam futon mattress, 2 blankets from the house, rainfly installed. Started each night with a partially used propane can then installed a full one when the cold woke us up. I wish I had remembered to bring my thermometer into the tent. We did elevate the heater on a box and tucked the blanket in good under the mattress on that side, just for a little extra safety margin.

I think we had about 5 Buddies in total this trip heating ground tents, RTT's and vehicles.

I used one in my truck this weekend (borrowed from a friend) and it was incredible. Talk about a revelation.

Gotta keep a window cracked.

I used one in my truck this weekend (borrowed from a friend) and it was incredible. Talk about a revelation.

Gotta keep a window cracked.
I think carbon monoxide sinks, right? So now there's a purpose for all the rust holes in the rear quarters!

I think carbon monoxide sinks, right? So now there's a purpose for all the rust holes in the rear quarters!

That's a good question, I don't know. I don't have any rust holes :)

Looks like it was designed to be "inside safe" but has a warning about CO on the back.

I'm sure there are numerous CYA reasons for the CO warning labels. We've used one in 8x8 and 10x14 tents and they can cook you right out of your sleeping bag - so to speak. We leave a vent window or two open to help level off the temp and keep condensation down in the smaller tents. The thermostat settings don't really matter on a small tent or inside a truck IMO. It's either on or off, so venting a window helps with bleeding off some of the heat.

We tried using one in a bunkhouse at Windrock one time and it did not heat the room, but it did make it slightly tolerable as it was hovering in the high 20's outside.

Watching that video clarifies the CO myth though. It's not CO you need to worry about, its the lack of O2 in confined areas. Venting a window solves the issue either way.

In Wyoming it's too cold for a infrared heater for fall / Winter / Spring outings. We use small wood stoves in tents. Once you have nice dry heat; plus no worry of co2...you will never go back. I have used small wood stoves for years...best option available and they are super light these days...

teepee2.jpg

Another thing with propane heat is the amount of moisture it produces when running. Trying to dry out clothes with propane heat is a nightmare.

Another thing with propane heat is the amount of moisture it produces when running. Trying to dry out clothes with propane heat is a nightmare.
That is a concern. Using the stove in our pop-up trailer will cause an internal rain storm if it is humid and the temps are cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom