Crank nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
getting ready to check timing. Need to turn crank so I know what the indicator looks like. Anyone know the size of the crank nut (or whatever it is called)? Largest socket I can find at Lowes is 36mm.

46mm; goto NAPA

I got mine in 3/4 drive, cuz I had to get a 3/4 breaker bar for the tcase- the 1/2 drive kept breaking

With either a 3/4 or 1/2 drive socket, you'll find there's little to no room between the socket and cross-member and/or core support as well as fan shroud, to get a ratchet or breaker in there to turn the engine over. Easier to just put it in first and bump the truck till the BB shows up, or get a remote starter button and discon the spark lead at the dissy and ground it.

Just checking, you know the timing mark is on the flywheel, that you check through the window in the bellhousing?

I just put a wrench on the PS pulley and the belt will turn the crank. Beats buying a socket you won't hardly ever use

I just put a wrench on the PS pulley and the belt will turn the crank. Beats buying a socket you won't hardly ever use

Yes. That's how I do it.
Removing the spark plugs makes it a lot easier too.

Might have to tighten up the belt a tad at the alternator so it doesn't slip. Make sure to loosen it back to the correct tension when you're done.

buncha cheap bastids...

I bought a 3/4 drive breaker bar for $15. Of course thats before I'll need dental implants after it breaks.

all that said, and, yes, it is hard to gain clearance to turn the crank with the fan shroud in place...timing can be checked with engine running and a light, no?

Another option is too remove the clutch inspection cover (underneath the truck). It's just sheet metal and very easy to pull off. You can rotate the flywheel with a gloved hand and clean and paint the timing mark at the same time.

^^^
Remove the spark plugs if you do it this way. Easy to turn with gloved hands.

If you keep turning it --- preferably in the correct direction, you'll see the timing ball come around. Now would be a great time to paint a thin white line (masked with tape) on the TDC thin scribe line that is almost impossible to see from above.

I put a wrench on the alternator pulley nut (FJ60--it's on the same side of the engine as the timing marks). I remove the spark plugs. But I only do this when I am adjusting the valves. I think the best way to see or highlight the timing mark is to remove the inspection cover from underneath. You have a much broader field of view.

1. Block the wheels. 2. Use a jack to lift up one of the rear wheels. 3. Put the vehicle in 4th gear. 4. Rotate the lifted wheel by hand to rotate the engine. (You can use a lug wrench on a lug nut to rotate the engine, just make sure you lift the right rear wheel so you don't just loosen the lug nut while rotating the engine.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom