Looking for advice on swapping a diesel into a 1991 80 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.magnetikmultimedia.com
Hi there !

I have a new friend, a 80 series LC to fit the whole family.
But there is on big problem, it’s a gas model!

Any advice/experience on swapping to a Diesel motor into it ?
Many threads on this but lots of different experiences which makes me even more confused.

I have a B motor in the garage, but i think it would not be enough, adding a turbo maybe would it ?

If not, what are my options in the Toyota route to start with?

I’m looking for the most straight forward option possible - that would enable me to run on Diesel/SVO.

Thanks lots !

J

Almost everything practical has been done. I would not recommend a B with or with out a turbo. Maybe a 12ht as the A440 in your truck now will bolt to it.

Other than that there is a the 1hd series of engines that came in 80series from 90-97.

All kind of depends on your abilities budget and if you are a masochist.

Yes i’m into a bolting on kinda job ! ;)

As for the tranny, i have the automatic.. what combination works as for a 5 speed ?

Is the Automatic a drag or is it not that bad on the trails (soft trails or gravel/logging roads).
I never ran an automatic (ever), feels kinda nice - i’m a stick kinda guy but i think i could get used to it.

Anyone running the automatic still ?

I did behind the Isuzu 4bd1t I had in my 80 series last. It was good, they do suck up a lot of power and economy. But they are good off road and easy.

I'm going 5spd on my next diesel swap just to see what all the fuss is about.

A 1HZ would be my starting point. Anything else Toyota would be under powered , out of date and hard to procure. But in the end its all about budget.
I think there is some difference between the gear change rpm on a diesel 80 series but it can be modified easily(I think ,you check) You can use the old radiator in a FJ80 but a 1 HZ rad has slightly more volume.
Most countries require swaps with engines that are from the same era or newer than what you have. 1HZ came along in 1990.

Most countries require swaps with engines that are from the same era or newer than what you have. 1HZ came along in 1990.

Not an issue in Canada...yet.

You're not going to find a 'bolt-on' diesel for the FJ80/FZJ80. Even the diesel engines that came in that truck are a lot more than a bolt-on job. Sell your 80 and go buy an import HDJ81. Easiest method, and also the cheapest and most reliable.

The 1hd-t will physically bolt into a FZJ80 as the frame mounts are the same. Everything for that swap is essentially bolt in. Only thing that would need some work is the wiring.

The FJ80 on the other had does not have the correct frame mounts for that swap so it's not bolt in.

If you understandably do not want a RHD then your options are very limited for easy swaps.

I have done one diesel swap on mine and am planing another. But I have tools and equipment required to do it. I'm also not scared to fabricate stuff and live with the consequences.

Wheelingnoob, they stopped selling diesel cruisers when the 80 series came out. In fact they only sold the Lexus with a gasser. 80 series are pretty rare here and mostly all imports.

No i dont want to have a RHD, even if in the end they are nice and clean diesel trucks.

Frame mounts and frabrication is not too big of a problem, but would wish it to be as simple as possible.

A friend of mine has an already swaped diesel in his 80, he is lucky, he bought his truck already done. He has a 12ht swap. With a 5 speed. Very nice!

Wheelingnoob, they stopped selling diesel cruisers when the 80 series came out. In fact they only sold the Lexus with a gasser. 80 series are pretty rare here and mostly all imports.

No i dont want to have a RHD, even if in the end they are nice and clean diesel trucks.

Frame mounts and frabrication is not too big of a problem, but would wish it to be as simple as possible.

A friend of mine has an already swaped diesel in his 80, he is lucky, he bought his truck already done. He has a 12ht swap. With a 5 speed. Very nice!
Yes I am aware, I live in Canada. I have a Canadian sold Lexus LX450. My brother has one of the last diesel land cruisers sold in Canada too. I'm very familiar with them.

We have plenty of diesel 80 series here problem is they are all RhD unless they are swapped in.

As I have already said, the most straight forward swap would be a 1hd-t. Buy a RHD truck and swap it all over into yours. This will not be cheap.

I swaped a Isuzu 4bd1t into my lx450 using an an adapter to bolt it to a A440 like what you have in your truck. It doubled my economy. But because I rebuilt the Isuzu ground up as well as almost every other component when I did the swap the cost was well over what any sane person would find acceptable.

Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build

Now due to issues I have had with the engine I have sold the drive train for a fraction of what it cost me.

I'm now doing a Cummins 6bt swap with a 5spd nv4500 and bolting on the factory 80 t case.

Lexus LX450 Cummins 6bt/NV4500 swap

I would suggest reading the first one as it goes through most the issues one can have with a swap of this nature.

Thanks for the info in your threads Weelingnoob, and sorry for not checking up your profile. I will be checking on the toyota side for a little while, and then maybe look elsewhere. I have a bj42 with a 3b, an extra B engine which ill probably end up in my second(project) fj40. Îm not in a rush to put a diesel in the 80, just will keep my head up in case i see something.

I woulnt mind keeping the gas engine if it wasn't for the consumption.. Maybe until i find a decent engine, i will add an hydrogen cell or else :)
The gas engine has 434 000 km on it. But the truck was cheap 1500$.

Oh and anyone, .. any thoughts on what would a 12ht swap be like?

Oh and anyone, .. any thoughts on what would a 12ht swap be like?
There is a local guy here that has a 12HT swapped into his 80series. Does not post a lot but he had a thread years ago when it was done.

If you looks in the 80 section there is a sticky thread "diesel swap registry" I believe is the title. He started that sticky if I remember right.

If you're going to all of the effort to do a Toyota diesel swap I'd go with a 1Hd-t or a 1hd-ft. More power, newer engines and more aftermarket support. I am looking to do a similar swap myself and apart from the wealth of information on this forum I'd recommend doing some research on lcool.org. Lots of diesel info on there.

FJ80 + 12HT project :

New project - 12H-T turbo diesel transplant into my 1991 FJ80.

... I just don't know where you can finc a 12HT at a decent price up here...

Sinon, il y a Accès Industiel a Rouyn qui pourrait t'avoir, peut-être, un 1HZ extrait d'un camion de mine... candidat à un rebuilt avant l’installation ...

The 12H-T would pull an 80 series around just fine.

But the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT would be BY FAR the closest thing you will find to a straightforward, bolt in swap. All of the little fabricating bits will take a lot more time than you think.

I swapped a 12H-T into a 60 series--took me 3 months. I am also swapping a 1HZ into a 60 series--it will take me roughly a year when it's all said and done. Both projects involved cutting out and welding in motor mounts--that only takes about 30 minutes. The difference is all the "little" things. Like fabricating new fuel lines for the 1HZ, as opposed to being able to simply bolt on the diesel lines for the 12H-T. Figuring out where to mount the fuel filter on the 1HZ/60, as opposed to it having a built in solution on the 12H-T/60. Stuff like that....

Also, the parts line for the 12H-T is much harder, whereas the 1HZ and 1HD-T will have parts availability for quite some time into the future. Makes it a no brainer, if you ask me. But a rusty/wrecked HDJ-80/81, and swap that stuff into a clean North American 80 series. Then you'll get the diesel, and the LHD 80 series you desire.

Dan

skip any engine older than 1990. That includes 12ht.
skip 4 cylinders.
If you believe engine weld in mounts are crux, go buy another truck.
Do the conversion yourself, know the systems.

Awsome guys thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom