Builds The great Stoffel (HJ61 build) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some issues finding one for a 12ht as well. Surprisingly the water routing on the 2f is very similar to the 12ht, just the head outlets are on opposite sides. Anyways, this has worked with no issues at all for me! Let me know if you need any more pictures!

-McGuire

IMG_3287.JPG

Holy hell what a difference a year makes!! It was one year ago today that I received Stoffel. I was so excited that I left work early to come home to see what I had purchased. I have not been disappointed! I can honestly say that in my 22 years of driving and owning vehicles this HJ61 is my favorite. In a lot of ways it remindes me of my old '77 FJ40 that was my first vehicle, but at the same time it's completely different. I sold a perfectly good (and paid off) FJ Cruiser to buy Stoffel and I have not regretted that decision for one day!

A huge thanks goes out to Micah (Micahman) for encouraging me to take the plunge and buy a HJ61, Steve at Land Cruisers Direct for getting me such a kick ass rig, Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for working on upgrades and being an awesome go to parts guy (even for an import!), Jason ( @reevesci ) for making some kick ass bumpers and sliders for me and the wife along with being an awesome guy to talk to, and all the great people on Mud for all of the knowledge that is on this website! I honestly don't know if I would have taken the plunge in buying an import without the great people and knowledge that is on this website. You guys rock!

When I first received it:
IMGP2709-XL.jpg

A few months ago in Yellowstone:
IMGP4150-XL.jpg

Just went through you're build. Awesome progress on your hj61 over the past year! The exhaust looks great. I have a lot of same plans you have done so far, so I'm sure I'll have questions for you.

Starting with, do you remember where you ordered the LEDs from? Any plans to upgrade the speakers?

Keep up the great work! :cheers:

Just went through you're build. Awesome progress on your hj61 over the past year! The exhaust looks great. I have a lot of same plans you have done so far, so I'm sure I'll have questions for you.

Starting with, do you remember where you ordered the LEDs from? Any plans to upgrade the speakers?

Keep up the great work! :cheers:
Thanks man! I still have a lot of plans for the future, but I'm pretty damn happy with the way it sits right now.

I got the LEDs from a forum guy on this thread. And I do have plans to upgrade the speakers. I have some NIB Pioneer 6.5' speakers sitting in my office right now. I did attempt to install them, but without cutting the living hell out of the door panel they won't fit (huge rear magnets). I do plan on having the door panels redone in the future and will install them at that point.

Congratulations, its a great rig and you've made some excellent tasteful upgrades. Definitely an indication you made the right decision that at your one year mark you are so happy with it. I couldn't agree more with your comments about the site and the knowledge base here. It is one of the major reasons that I am making the jump from RR to Landcruiser. Heres :beer: to you and your wifes continued adventures in Stoffel

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm currently getting ready for the stereo and speaker upgrade. I heard that certain 5.25in speakers will fit in the front doors with no, or, minimal cutting....as great as the 27yo speakers sound it's definitely time for an upgrade :D

Holy hell what a difference a year makes!! It was one year ago today that I received Stoffel. I was so excited that I left work early to come home to see what I had purchased. I have not been disappointed! I can honestly say that in my 22 years of driving and owning vehicles this HJ61 is my favorite. In a lot of ways it remindes me of my old '77 FJ40 that was my first vehicle, but at the same time it's completely different. I sold a perfectly good (and paid off) FJ Cruiser to buy Stoffel and I have not regretted that decision for one day!

A huge thanks goes out to Micah (Micahman) for encouraging me to take the plunge and buy a HJ61, Steve at Land Cruisers Direct for getting me such a kick ass rig, Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for working on upgrades and being an awesome go to parts guy (even for an import!), Jason ( @reevesci ) for making some kick ass bumpers and sliders for me and the wife along with being an awesome guy to talk to, and all the great people on Mud for all of the knowledge that is on this website! I honestly don't know if I would have taken the plunge in buying an import without the great people and knowledge that is on this website. You guys rock!

When I first received it:
IMGP2709-XL.jpg

A few months ago in Yellowstone:
IMGP4150-XL.jpg
Back in Black one of my all time favorite rigs!

Thanks for all the kind words! It's been a blast updating this rig. The wife and I wanted this to be an expedition type rig that we can jump in and go anywhere, anytime. I think we are getting to that point! There are still more plans for the future but we are pretty damn happy with it as is. Speaking of upgrades, today I threw in two new Odyssey batteries. I opted for the 65 group size over the 34 group size that was in there for more CCA's and well, because I could!;) I did have to make some wood spacers to place under the batteries because they were not as tall as the stock size and extend my ground wire to the chassis, but I think it will be worth it!

IMG_20151205_132354923_HDR-XL.jpg

IMG_20151205_132407954-XL.jpg

IMG_20151205_132420584-XL.jpg

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I'm currently getting ready for the stereo and speaker upgrade. I heard that certain 5.25in speakers will fit in the front doors with no, or, minimal cutting....as great as the 27yo speakers sound it's definitely time for an upgrade :D

Mine came with 5.25" Pioneer speakers in the doors. They seem to be a direct drop in with no cutting required.

Side note, while replacing the batteries I noticed a wire coming off the positive side (24 volt positive side) leading under the vehicle. I removed the battery tray on the left side and saw that it leads to a motor of some sort and then goes under the rig to......nowhere. Seriously, it's a thick gauge wire (battery cable size) that appears to have enough lead to go to the front of the vehicle but is not hooked up to anything. Any ideas what the hell this is for?

And no, in my infinite wisdom I did not take a picture.:bang:

Nope, it's about the size of a solenoid on a starter motor. Looking at some electrical drawings it appears to be part # 38630-60070, but I have no idea what it is for and why there is such a large lead wire coming off of it going to nothing?:meh:

Its appears to be a magnet switch for the winch. Which would make sense as the size of the cable would be appropriate for a high amp draw winch.

Expensive little booger - cheapest I found the OEM part for was $230.00 - on the high side it was $487.00! Don't loose that lil jewel.

Last edited:
C, are you going to use a battery monitoring system of any kind?

Jason
I don't have plans to as of yet. I might throw in a volt meter somewhere but that would probably be about it. I have herd the horror stories about leaving the lights on in a 24 volt system and draining the batteries quickly. That makes me a bit nervous. But besides carrying a 24 volt booster pack I'm not sure what to do. As always I'm open to suggestions!

I don't have plans to as of yet. I might throw in a volt meter somewhere but that would probably be about it. I have herd the horror stories about leaving the lights on in a 24 volt system and draining the batteries quickly. That makes me a bit nervous. But besides carrying a 24 volt booster pack I'm not sure what to do. As always I'm open to suggestions!

Just wondering if you could use a Luna or TJM monitor. It would tell you how much juice in each battery-- 12V anyway

Like these. You'd just need the monitor itself. But basically a high dollar volt meter though... Works better in a 12V scenario, just wonder if there is a 24V solution.

T-Max Dual Battery System

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...67TMsXf1jgzwAsESf3RK3F4xwwwHqZWRUlRoCXmDw_wcB

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom