H55F Possible bad syncro?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've just finished installing my H55f into my 55 and 2nd gear is being a b*tch. I cant downshift from 3rd to 2nd unless I slow right down, RPM doesn't seem to matter but unless I slow down to almost a stop it crunches like crazy. Changing from 1st to 2nd is ok however. The box was supposedly rebuilt but gear changes are no where near as smooth as my old 4 speed...
Also my clutch master has a leak and my gearbox mount looks like it's slightly cracked. Am I wishful in thinking these could be the culprit??

How is the clutch, new? Is it adjusted right. It does sound like it needs a real rebuild. Sorry to hear.

You could try double de-clutching when going from third to second.

I'd focus on the clutch before you get too worried about the transmission. If it's leaking, it's likely the clutch doesn't slow the transmission down enough to easily down-shift gears. You can usually make the shift upwards with a bad clutch but down is against the RPM's of the motor. Sounds like a clutch issue from my perspective.

How is the clutch, new? Is it adjusted right. It does sound like it needs a real rebuild. Sorry to hear.

Ron the clutch is almost brand new, pretty sure it's adjusted right...there's some slack down at the slave though....could that contribute?

You could try double de-clutching when going from third to second.

Have given it a go but found it made no difference...

I'd focus on the clutch before you get too worried about the transmission. If it's leaking, it's likely the clutch doesn't slow the transmission down enough to easily down-shift gears. You can usually make the shift upwards with a bad clutch but down is against the RPM's of the motor. Sounds like a clutch issue from my perspective.

Thanks Nik, might try to swap the master and get it adjusted right.
Is there any chance I damaged the clutch with the input shaft when I installed the new box the other week??

I've got two H55 equipped trucks - they both shift pretty close to the 4 speeds that they replaced - however the clutch adjustment is more critical. Also on cold mornings both my 4 speeds and the H55s are a little slow to warm up (seems to affect 2nd gear more than any others) . Some guys add ATF to overcome that.

Just thought I'd revive this thread in hope to pin point the issue....
I've changed my clutch master and adjusted the pedal stroke so that it engages eariler and it's made no difference, still crunches like crazy into 2nd gear when I shift down from 3rd. I also noticed that the clutch shudders slightly when reversing (more noticeable when reversing uphill) I didn't really notice this with the same clutch and my old 4 speed....

I've got two H55 equipped trucks - they both shift pretty close to the 4 speeds that they replaced - however the clutch adjustment is more critical. Also on cold mornings both my 4 speeds and the H55s are a little slow to warm up (seems to affect 2nd gear more than any others) . Some guys add ATF to overcome that.

Beachbob, when you mean clutch adjustment are you talking about the pedal stroke and master cylinder?? Or is there some other adjustment I'm missing??
Also it still crunches just as bad when warmed up.
Am slowly thinking I may need to pull out the box...

The slave cylinder needs to be adjusted also. Check the service manual for correct procedure. I can't remember the right gap you need between the throw out bearing and clutch.

if all things hydraulically are in order, then it could be a dragging pilot bearing or input shaft bearing of the transmission. either of these will need the gearbox out to fix- It could be the shifter bushing? I have heard if they are not in good shape, they will cause problems shifting...Have you talked to Georg?

Was your H55 new or used, known mileage and condition? If clutch and slave are adjusted per the manual then you need top consider TO bearing and possibly syncros. both are a bummer because it means R&R trans/transfer case.

if all things hydraulically are in order, then it could be a dragging pilot bearing or input shaft bearing of the transmission. either of these will need the gearbox out to fix- It could be the shifter bushing? I have heard if they are not in good shape, they will cause problems shifting...Have you talked to Georg?

I've changed the shifter bushing which made no difference....not overly sure who Georg is...do you mean Georg from valley hybrids???

Was your H55 new or used, known mileage and condition? If clutch and slave are adjusted per the manual then you need top consider TO bearing and possibly syncros. both are a bummer because it means R&R trans/transfer case.

It was rebuilt....supposedly. The guy I bought it off wrecked his 75 due to rust issues and said that he'd spent $3500 on the gearbox and t/case and had it in the car for only 1500klms and it worked great...
Looks like I might be pulling it out over Christmas which is a bummer because I wanted to take it away....
Thanks for the input guys!

Yep, Georg, Valley hybrids. Mr H55...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom