steering noise when cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
picked up an 05 pretty clean 05 with aprox 109k miles on it about a month ago. Since then I have noticed when it is cold, say 35 or below, I get a noise while turning the steering wheel. Sounds more like it is coming from the interior side of it and will go away once everything (trim etc) warms up. Will try to post vid of noise but kinda a binding sound. I have almost all the maintenance records and looks like nothing was ever done with anything relating to steering. Gut says its nothing but would like to get other more experienced opinions.

I'd try flushing with synthetic ATF fluid. I've heard this before when power steering fluid or additive used in power steering.

Just did a quick search on the clock spring and sounds like that may be it. trying to get video to upload but having problems.

By clock I assume we're speaking about odometer. That may be what you're hearing, but what would that have to do with "noise while turning the steering wheel"?

The steering wheel in our 04 has slightly groaned and moaned in colder weather since day one. 185k miles later and there have been no reprocusions.

The steering wheel in our 04 has slightly groaned and moaned in colder weather since day one. 185k miles later and there have been no reprocusions.
If this is op issue, he could test by not using cabin heater on cold morning.

By clock I assume we're speaking about odometer. That may be what you're hearing, but what would that have to do with "noise while turning the steering wheel"?

No, it doesn't do anything with the odo. Technically, it's called the "CABLE SUB-ASSY, SPIRAL", part # 84306-12070. It sits behind the airbag and is part of the SRS/Airbag system. Over time, they make noise when the steering wheel is turned.

No, it doesn't do anything with the odo. Technically, it's called the "CABLE SUB-ASSY, SPIRAL", part # 84306-12070. It sits behind the airbag and is part of the SRS/Airbag system. Over time, they make noise when the steering wheel is turned.
Very interest, thanks for the info.

Found this picture of clock: Help Replacing Steering Wheel on 1999 LX470
I sprayed some plastic safe electric lubricant/cleaner in area years ago without removing any parts. I haven't noticed groaned and moaned since. Didn't know this was referred to as clock. Hope my lubricant didn't adversely affect SRS/Airbag system, pray it's never tested.:steer:

Mine makes the same noise, clock spring. 80's have the same issue. It's one of those things that don't really need to be fixed.

Mine makes the same noise, clock spring. 80's have the same issue. It's one of those things that don't really need to be fixed.

This. Only if the noise gets too annoying for you, otherwise just drive it.

thank you for all the replies. after looking into clock spring i am feeling safe that is the issue as it is worse when turning left and at same angles as many in the 80s said. Minor annoyance that i will live with for now. 2001LC where did you spray to lube it as i would be willing to try that. again thank you all for the replies.

thank you for all the replies. after looking into clock spring i am feeling safe that is the issue as it is worse when turning left and at same angles as many in the 80s said. Minor annoyance that i will live with for now. 2001LC where did you spray to lube it as i would be willing to try that. again thank you all for the replies.
Sprayed between plastic housing everywhere and angle I could, while turning steering wheel back and forth. Don't know if just lucky or groan was coming from different source, as I knew nothing about clock spring at the time. I used: LPS Electro Contact Cleaner http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/578, followed by LPS greaseless lubricant http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560. Cans came with little straw usefully for directing spray in tight spaces.

I tackled this a few days ago. Mine was a combination of the clock spring and the large rubber boot that covers the steering column as it passes through the firewall.

I ended up removing the airbag to attack the clock spring. A few days later, still no squeek. The rubber boot near the pedals was a crazy easy fix, just a bit of lube as I turned the wheel and the problem was solved.

Good luck

Wow, it is amazing how timely these issues come up. The first thing I heard after starting my LC after getting a new exhaust today was some weird noise coming from somewhere around my steering column as I turn the wheel to back out of my garage. I thought, what did Mike mess up installing the exhaust. Well, it turns out it is probably this exact thing. I really wasn't that cold today though around 45 F, but it is colder than it has been in awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom