A 1990 HZJ80 mini-refurb from Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the three mounts on the rear passenger side just steps to get to the roof?

Are the three mounts on the rear passenger side just steps to get to the roof?
Yes.
Those are "Roof Rack Steps."
Other destinations got the steps (available for either side) to get to the gutter-mounted roof rack that was also available. US destination got crap.

The steps bolt into holes in the rear corner which have reinforcement plates with weld-nuts inside. My understanding is that they are pretty sturdy. They also look great!

Very nice.

Now, I know very little about turbos, but given the ambient temps you have, would it not be a good idea to have an intercooler?

Possible to fit to US models?
You can, but you need the steps, garnish plates, and, most importantly, the reinforcement plates. The steps and garnish plates will run ~$250 and it it really difficult to get the reinforcements.
PM me if you want more detail

Very nice.

Now, I know very little about turbos, but given the ambient temps you have, would it not be a good idea to have an intercooler?

Well from what I've read if I run an intercooler I'll need to upgrade pistons and big end bearings among other things. That will enable me to run higher boost. Right now I'm maxing out at 10psi or so, with EGT's not going over 1000F. Coolant temp, even on the long drive and under load, barely touches the halfway mark. (see image I posted) Ambient temps on this trip was around 105F and still had no effect on the coolant or EGT's, as far as I could tell.

Sure a intercooler will be good, but at this stage I'm enjoying the 80 as she is, and still getting used to the turbo. Its my first turbo, so I've got probably less experience than you!

Last edited:
Just did a short day trip, around 740km up to the Hejaz Mountains. Wanted to scout some locations for camping for the upcoming season, so it was difficult to capture some of the spectacular scenery along the way.

About to cross a bridge, that had a mosque at the very end of it. Many KM from the nearest sign of civilization.

Once I crossed the mountain pass, took off on some fantastically twisty roads past several villages, into an area I was looking at on google earth. From there there were several trails to explore.

We're really out in cowboy country. I would not go as far to say that this is lawless country, because the people are incredibly hospitable, but there is no sign of law enforcement anywhere in these remote areas. It would be a stretch to say the Arabian wolves are shot for sport, but more to protect the livestock of the inhabitants in the area. They hang them to warn others of their presence. I don't agree, nor disagree with the practice.

Some of the tar sections would be a dream to ride on motorbikes, being devoid of traffic, with breathtaking scenery

On one of the trails, at just above 8,000ft, I was literally standing on the edge trying to snap pictures, and saw that someone had built a settlement on a jagged peak down below. Check out the trail to get to the place!

I finished off with having to descend an incredibly steep trail down to the valley. On google earth it looked like it was all tarred up, only for me to get there and see that the first 2KM of a 8KM road was paved. The rest looked like this

Taking a dip to finish off the day.

What part of Saudi Arabia is this?

Great pictures and spectacular scenery. Didn't know about the mountain range(s) in Saudi.
Looks like a dream for road trips and camping.
Thanks for sharing.

What part of Saudi Arabia is this?

On the western part of the country.

Great pictures and spectacular scenery. Didn't know about the mountain range(s) in Saudi.
Looks like a dream for road trips and camping.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you sir. There is indeed so much to explore, without enough time to do it.

The weather forecast last week called for some seriously heavy rains over the western region of KSA. Jeddah was pretty much drenched over a 3 hour downpour, and while the whole city tried to come to grips with bailing out water from their homes, luckily our house was unscathed. Now that the family is safe, the house in order, my attention turns to: how soon can I get away to go on a trip? And where shall I go where there is water?

Last edited:
It looks like you got quite a bit of rain last week. Hopefully the flooding was minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom