Murphys Law.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
..ensures this could only happen with 22 miles on the tank.

Well, after seeing the fuel steadily pouring down off the top of the tank, running down the diff and pooling up on the floor (about a foot pool after 3 mins or so of running) I looked at fuel pressure - hadn't changed any while running, so I took off the return line and put the air to it - if it was blocked it didn't stay blocked long. I went out today and siphoned off as much as I could get the easy way (7 gallons) in preparation for dropping the tank, and before I put it back in the garage I looked and saw that it wasn't leaking anymore (no wetness at all, even though I moved it and ran it for a few minutes to get it outside so I could get at the fuel door). So my return line could have been blocked causing fuel to take the path of least resistance through some old crappy hose where it goes into the tank. Still need to drop the tank and see what's going on..

gotta love Murphy...

I had my feed and return lines coming out of the tank rot through. They would only drip when the tank was more than half full.

He strikes again. I'm sure this wouldn't have been there had I looked under the rear carpet before taking off the tire carrier, unhooking hoses and sway bar brackets and draining the tank... twisted off the pressure side at the union coming out of the tank too.

Last edited:
I have had lots of problems with those type of hose clamps leaking. They relax over time, often a short time. Check out MMC for some fuel line specific ones. They are better but even with those I often have to wrap the fuel line with duct tape to increase the diameter so I get a good crush on it with the hose clamp.

Constant torque clamps are the best but pricey.

Frank

Starting to make sense... So some PO in their infinite wisdom thought it would be OK to just saw off the hardlines coming out of the fuel pump bracket, presumably because they couldn't remove the fuel pump through the hole in the floor with them attached. When they got their hands on another pump (assuming a whole different unit, because the cuts don't match) they cut the 2nd one off too, and just put rubber hose and clamps in to splice the hard lines. I'm surprised it held with pinch clamps on a unflared line on the pressure side...

I was able to flare the pressure line to attach a section of 5/16 line, and not being able to locate any 14mm fittings, found an insert and compression ring that fit perfectly to connect to the original nylon hose at the end of the hardline (one end was stuck good enough to bust my flare wrench so I cut it in half). New hoses to the tank were installed and copious amounts of fluid film and anti-seize were slathered about.

No leaks now running it (with very little gas in the tank anyway). But to the root of the issue, I did find that the line to the carbon canister is clogged up, and the carbon canister itself is also plugged up, which not allowing the tank to vent. So now to fix that... Glad I dropped the tank though - I probably could have fixed the evap issues and gone on for a while without leaks but that garbage on top of the tank wasn't going to hold forever..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom