FJ40 V8 swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Thanks for reading my post. I am new here and new to the fj40 world. I recently acquired a 40 that I have been trying to buy for years. Turns out that its a total bucket, but I love it. Its a 73 model that's all original and has been well used and abused. The motor is locked up tight. It has the original 3 speed and original t/c. I have a totaled out 83 GMC 4wd with a 350 and a 4 speed. I have decided that the most cost effective route to begin my off-road adventure is to install the 350 from the truck. My question starts here. I am sure there are lots of people who have traveled this road and figured out the best answers to the following question. Is it better to adapt the 350 to the original 3 speed that came in the 40 or is it better to install the engine and 4 speed trans from the truck and adapt to the original t/c?

I know this has been discussed in numerous threads. I had read quite a few of them. But I didn't find one that directly answered my specific question. Thanks again for reading..

I don't disagree with you. My original plan was to keep it stock with just a little lift and the original wheels. But after doing an overall evaluation of the truck, its in pretty rough shape. Lots of rust in the body. its currently a 1500 dollar truck. one that will be used to hunt out of for years to come. it currently has no usable floor pan in it.

Go ahead and do the motor and transmission swap, offer up the usable parts of the F engine and transmission, and have fun.

the stock three speed transmission is marginal at best behind a 350... use the truck 4 speed.

Which 4 speed is in the 83? Once you know that you can see which adapter is needed.

As far as stock Toyota 3 spd being marginal behind a 350 Chevy I'm sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with that statement. Not much different than Chevy 3 spd truck transmission and provides shortest engine to transfer case length package length. 1/2" plate between the Chevy bell housing and the Toyota transmission. I ran mine for years until just recently when I finally upgraded to 5 speed w/OD.

There is a lot to be said for an upgraded transmission (at a price tag), but know that for 5 years I towed a fully self contained travel trailer to every club wheeling trip, wheeled all weekend, then towed trailer home, all with a Chevy 327 V8 and stock 3 speed tranny, never had a single problem. If you are interested in doing a V8 swap with stock 3 speed, look at my ebay #261561752136- - -dirt cheap, You will also want one of my freebie Downey V8 installation Instruction Manuals, lemme know.

Here's a link to AA installation manual:
http://advanceadapters.com/pdf/tlc_ebook.pdf

Another less popular option is to swap in a centred rear diff Axle and build custom driveshafts to make it work. Just to make the decision harder.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom