Sleeping bag pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well since I truck camp....I now have an air mattress...what a difference and improvement, wish I had bought one years ago. I've only had the air mattress a few months now but its a big improvement on quality of sleep and comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X098QC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

I too am a fan of the full sized air mattress in a full sized tent when car camping - I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the wife to go with me without it.
For hiking in camping though with a 2 person tent with the boy I have just been 'roughing' it but Friday was the last straw.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
I've been looking at the thermarest base camp pad and found one online for a reasonable price - will probably wait to see what cyber monday deals the sites put out before I pull the trigger on this.

That exped looks pretty sweet but not sure I can justify $175 on it.

For hiking in I would not really recommend the base camp. It's a bit on the bulky side. I use a standard size therm-a-rest when a backpack is involved.
The non-foam pads are nice as well, as long as the temp is not too cold. When it gets cold, the foam helps considerably.

I can't seem to keep a Thermarest to hold air for some reason (caveat: I am REALLY hard on gear). I need to send it back to Thermarest for repair.

I've been using the Nemo Cosmo pad: Product

It's not 'self inflating' but it does have a pump built into it that you use to inflate it.
I've used it for both car camping and for backpacking and in 1 season, so far it has been awesome. No leaks, no punctures. But I do have a strict 'it doesn't come out of the stuff sack unless it's IN the tent with doors zipped up' policy.

Big Agness makes nice stuff..

I have a Big Agness Encampment 15 and insulated core air mat. Love the combo. The encampment has NO INSULATION on the bottom yet is the warmest bag I have ever owned. The non insulated bottom scares a lot of people away but in my experience the insulation on the bottom of a sleeping bag does very little to keep you warm because it becomes compressed and looses it heat retention ability.

Had the pleasure of hiking the John Muir Trail this year. I used the new Thermarest Neoair Trekker and it was amazing. They are slightly more fragile that the self inflating pads and a millions times more comfortable that foam. With that said I have 40+ nights on the Trekker without issue.

I have also moved from a traditional mummy down bag to a down quilt. Check our Enlighten Equipment.

Car camping I have used the Lightspeed Outdoors for a few years with our issue.
Lightspeed Outdoors 2-Person PVC-Free Air Bed - 2014 Overstock - REI.com

I have a Big Agness Encampment 15 and insulated core air mat. Love the combo. The encampment has NO INSULATION on the bottom yet is the warmest bag I have ever owned. The non insulated bottom scares a lot of people away but in my experience the insulation on the bottom of a sleeping bag does very little to keep you warm because it becomes compressed and looses it heat retention ability.

I have pretty broad shoulders, and bought a Big Agnes bag a few years back, as that was the only one I could find at the time that would fit me comfortably in the shoulders. Their bags are great IF you sleep on your back. I sleep on my side, so I'd roll, and the pad would come with me and I'd loose the insulation on the ground. Drove me crazy. After 2 sleepless nights on a backpacking trip, I returned the bag and got a traditional sleeping bag with insulation everywhere it belongs.

I have pretty broad shoulders, and bought a Big Agnes bag a few years back, as that was the only one I could find at the time that would fit me comfortably in the shoulders. Their bags are great IF you sleep on your back. I sleep on my side, so I'd roll, and the pad would come with me and I'd loose the insulation on the ground. Drove me crazy. After 2 sleepless nights on a backpacking trip, I returned the bag and got a traditional sleeping bag with insulation everywhere it belongs.
I'm a side sleeper too and never had that problem. But my bag fits pretty lose.

Went with the therm a rest base camp pad from Moosejaw.com.
At $52 and change that was the best price for that R rating I could find.
Also bought a big agnes 3/4 hinman pad for the boy.
If you're shopping today for outdoor stuff check out Moosejaw. They have pretty good discounts.

Been sleeping on thermarest deluxe for a long time. However, being a side-sleeper, I have added a thin air mattress to the top. I will have to get a nicer air mattress next year for back packing, as I have come to need more padding. The Therma rest Q-Core or Big Agnes pads in the 3.5 to 4 inch range are on the horizon....I used to use NO pad.

Went with the therm a rest base camp pad from Moosejaw.com.
At $52 and change that was the best price for that R rating I could find.
Also bought a big agnes 3/4 hinman pad for the boy.
If you're shopping today for outdoor stuff check out Moosejaw. They have pretty good discounts.

I also use a Thermarest Base Camp... Under 5" of egg-crate foam... I have back issues that require a lot of padding... It's odd that the 5" of foam are not comfortable... But put the Base Camp under the foam and I sleep like an old baby!!

I use this bed in 44 as well as when tent camping.

I doubt I'll ever be able to backpack and overnight again, unless it's without sleep.

I think everyone here can agree Thermarest is the way to go. I've owned one for years and never had any leaks or issues.

<snip>....I used to use NO pad.
I used to work construction all day and drink all night.
I also used to camp with a 6'X8' piece of canvas and a wool blanket.
I like to think I'm smarter not softer now days.

I used to work construction all day and drink all night.
I also used to camp with a 6'X8' piece of canvas and a wool blanket.
I like to think I'm smarter not softer now days.

When I was 15, I used to walk about 3 miles to fish all night, in one of the canals of the Imperial Valley, in Southern California.

When I got tired, I'd climb up the bank and lay down in the dirt road and go to sleep... no pad, no bag, no nothing... and I was a happy boy!! I never came close to getting run over by the Border Patrol or accosted by illegals... but, after waking up to a Sidewinder slithering at me, I decided I would walk back home whenever I got too tired to fish.

I like to think I grew up...

Go find the biggest thickest thermarest you can, and then when you want to use it, let it inflate and then blow it up with your mouth.

looking for a recommendations for a sleeping bag pad to use in a tent for camping purposes / sleeping on the "ground"... For single person use / at least 6ft in length.

I'm noticed some on the cabelas web site that are self inflating...etc

Looking for good quality item as I'm not much of a camper but at times I do camp with the 4wd club.

Check the attached link and YouTube video for my my Camping Mat.

Attachments

• Camping Mat Ad 12-18-15.pdf
    224.1 KB · Views: 61
$25 bucks for the home depot 6', 3" foam pad. Not good for hiking buck can roll up for in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom