New starter time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after 15 years in 208000 miles, it gave up the ghost.
20151124_170631.jpg

How hard was it to replace? How many hours and how difficult was the task?

It wasn't hard at all. I had it towed to my buddies Landcruiser shop they replaced it I wrote him a check. I haven't done one but from what I've read they're not that hard. It started not disengaging so when the motor started there was a grinding noise. The shop said the bearing just went out.

Last edited:
For others that have had starter failures, do the contacts normally go bad first? That normally gives an"click, click click" but normally will start after a few tries. Is complete failure common with no warning? Maybe this should be higher on my list with 206k miles!

For others that have had starter failures, do the contacts normally go bad first? That normally gives an"click, click click" but normally will start after a few tries. Is complete failure common with no warning? Maybe this should be higher on my list with 206k miles!
Exactly what I want to know! If it's common to go out with no warning I'll replace it pro actively to avoid getting stuck in a remote area where a tow would be crazy expensive.

Sent from my XT1060

If you take your time... it is a 3hr job if it's the first time you have done it... IF you have done it before and don't mind climbing up in the engine compartment and have someone to hand you tools... I have done it in less than an hour...
a few tips... 1. if you can unbolt the hood struts on each side and tie or prop the hood FULL OPEN it helps a ton, 2. watch several of the you tube vids on this subject so you know what you are in for... and 3. please make sure you clip the small wire onto the starter motor or you will be doing it all over just to clip the wire on... ask me how i know....

tools of choice... 12mm magnetic socket for the manifold bolts but make sure you still have a magnetic pick up tool on hand if you drop one down into the block valley...

flex head ratchet wrench... or a flex head ratchet for your socket... 14mm (i think 14mm might be 15) for the rear facing bolts that actually hold the starter...

4ft ladder OR

if you have to work alone... then you might want to remove the front tires and drop the truck all the way to the ground... makes it much easier to bend over the truck a small step stool or even a chair will still help here....

some say you can't reuse the manifold gaskets... I have not had an issue doing so... I do coat them with a non drying sealant which is not called for... but don't use anything that will glue them to either mating surface... it's a beach to get them back apart.... refer to the missed wire part above.....

I think @ 150k it's time to do this regardless.... maybe less in cold climates where starters live a much harder life...

if you have to work alone... then you might want to remove the front tires and drop the truck all the way to the ground... makes it much easier to bend over the truck a small step stool or even a chair will still help here...

Just curious where you put the floor jack under for this kind of work - sounds like a great idea!

Exactly what I want to know! If it's common to go out with no warning I'll replace it pro actively to avoid getting stuck in a remote area where a tow would be crazy expensive.

Sent from my XT1060

Just replaced mine two weeks ago, before it died completely. They typically give you a warning - first, it's one click and then it starts on the next try. That is every now and then. Then it becomes more frequent. Then you get 2, 3, or 4 clicks w/o a start and at that point you are rolling the dice. I replaced mine about 10 days after the first "click." I would bet that many here go longer without total failure. I just had a trip coming up and didn't want to get stuck at the bottom of a trail.

I did mine. It's not that hard if you pay attention to all the connections and vacuum lines that you disconnect. I numbered every single one. It makes it a lot easier to put everything back together.

A.J

I gave myself a week to swap it out. It was my first time ever working on the 2uzfe. I kept researching and watching as many videos as I could find throughout the week.
My first dive into the 2uzfe and I learned a whole lot. I labeled pretty much everything from bolts, nuts, hoses, connections, and took pics from every angle.

Drivers side disconnect can be a bit funky. You have fuel lines. So when you smell the fuel it makes you (me) a bit nervous.

image.jpeg

I split the manifold apart. Lower and upper. My cousin at Toyota said that it's not a good idea to split it apart b/c of leaks. I got a new gasket. All good. He recommended unbolting the entire manifold as one piece.

image.jpeg

Of course you wanna cover the ports so that you don't drop anything in there.

image.jpeg

Getting to the bolts that hold on to the starter was a bit easier than most write. Then again I was able to jump into the engine bay and get comfy. Feet and knee placement allowed me to reach around the back, near firewall, and get to the bolts with some ease.

image.jpeg

Do it!!!!!

The plank across the fenders is the way to go.

I gave myself a week to swap it out. It was my first time ever working on the 2uzfe. I kept researching and watching as many videos as I could find throughout the week.
My first dive into the 2uzfe and I learned a whole lot. I labeled pretty much everything from bolts, nuts, hoses, connections, and took pics from every angle.

Drivers side disconnect can be a bit funky. You have fuel lines. So when you smell the fuel it makes you (me) a bit nervous.

View attachment 1167382

I split the manifold apart. Lower and upper. My cousin at Toyota said that it's not a good idea to split it apart b/c of leaks. I got a new gasket. All good. He recommended unbolting the entire manifold as one piece.

View attachment 1167384now is a great time to replace the heater T's

View attachment 1167385

Getting to the bolts that hold on to the starter was a bit easier than most write. Then again I was able to jump into the engine bay and get comfy. Feet and knee placement allowed me to reach around the back, near firewall, and get to the bolts with some ease.

View attachment 1167387

Do it!!!!!

image-jpeg.1167382

image-jpeg.1167384

image-jpeg.1167385
Are those my pics?
I labeled everything exactly the same way.
Lol

A.J

the wifes 99 LX got a new denso last month, 190K on it, had a OEM reman put in at somepoint before 110K.

this weekend my 2000 starter went out, my guess is its the original, bought it with 70K on it, now 155K.

and how hard is it......easy, I take it to my new mechanic and he replaces it, about $600(3 hours labor) including part. When I told them the LX starter was on the way out, they looked at me like I was stupid, then I told them where it was........not so stupid now ;) Funny thing was they had not done a starter on a 4.7L, the same week I took mine in, they did 3 more.....

if you have to work alone... then you might want to remove the front tires and drop the truck all the way to the ground... makes it much easier to bend over the truck a small step stool or even a chair will still help here...

Sounds like under the diff drop in front is the place to lift from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom