80 series Water leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
Hello! Today i was washing the land cruiser and realized that the headliner was getting wet in the driver seat. It was the a pillar headliner. Ill show you guys a picture i took. Anways i also realized that water is somehow getting into the rear sliding windows even tho they are closed. Help plzz. I opened up the moonroof and the left drain hole, the water was not draining out but making puddles. So im confused if its just the drain clogged up or something else needs to be fixed. Thanks guys

ItS where the the a pillar overlaps the headliner. It was wet and then the headliner next to the moonroof on the left was wet and the seat also got wet. I forgot to take a picture srry

Search for threads about... 'clogged sun roof drains' or words like that. There are four drain tubes conducting water from the top of the truck that go down and out the bottom. They get stopped up and need cleaned out one way or another.

There are a million threads about sunroof drains. Read them and clean everything. Once clean move to other areas. My sunroof did leak. But much worse was my windshield. After i sealed the rubber/glass side my leak was basically gone. But eventually i had a small leak again. Since i sealed the gasket/metal side no more leak. I think a lot of people are chasing the sunroof when it is the windshield. But just my opinion.

Thanks guys! I looked up alot of threads but the picture arent clear. I took the footwell plastic panels off on the driverside. I dont see the drain tube. I think the drain tube is clogged cause i poored water on the drains on the moonroof and the left side drains very slowly and the right one goes fast. However on both sides the a pillar is semi wet from water. Help plz. The carpet is SOAKING! If you take the carpet apart the wiring loom is soaked with puddles of water. Helppp

Get somthing to clear your drains. We had augers specifically for the drains.

Over time your sunroof gasket shrinks. This allows more dirt and crap to clog up your drain inlet or hose. And with the condition of the gasket, it will also allow more water, more than you clogged drains can clear. The water will then backup and over flow down to your pillars.

The questuon is the drain hose in the ecu area? I took some pictures of the disassembly so far.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yup. The drain hose, kinda hard black plastic i think, goes right through the ecu area. Ecu area is commonly referred to as the kick panel or area behind the kick panel. There are pictures to be found on this site to help id all those things you are seeing in there.

The questuon is the drain hose in the ecu area? I took some pictures of the disassembly so far.

Stop looking down there. Work from the top. Open your sunroof. Stand up through the opening with a foot on each seat. Look in the corners for holes leading the tubes. Run wire or trimmer line down through the tubes till you feel them bottoming out in the rocker panels. Pour a little water in each to make sure they work. SEARCH and Read detailed how to instructions on this awesome site.

I ran a wire into the drain and it is still clogged. I poured water into tje drain. It takes bout 2/3rd of a waterbottle before it overflows. Can someone take a picture of the house in the ecu area. I cant find it

The hose can be hard to find in there, to see it you may have to pull some of the wiring harness out into the footwell. Then if you can find the hose, you want to make sure that it is not collapsed or pinched out of round. I would recommend still trying to work from the top letting the water soak in and keep grinding out the clog with wire or trimmer line. Don't try compressed air because you will blow the hose loose at the top. If you search you will find threads where people have solved their problems from the bottom by various means, but they can be quite involved and to me would be a last resort option. Many threads have the pictures you desire.

So i looked at the drains at the rocker panel where theirs a little pinch which i believe is where Water exits/dumped into from the mopnroof. It looks likes it not clogged. So its possibly the drain hose near the ecu. Cause i need to put a lot of water into the drain before it starts building up.

The drain tubes dump into the rocker panels, they run behind the steel panel that is found behind the plastic kick panel (not really near or behind the ECU).

Check out the discussion and photo in this link, the photo shows the end of the drain tube on the left side, the right is similar:

cleaning sunroof drains

I bought some thick wire for a fence latch that ended up being too thick/heavy for the latch. I used that to "unclog" my sunroof drains about two months ago. Turns out the new windshield I had installed was leaking. At least I know my sunroof drains aren't clogged. The wire is pretty thick, but conforms to the drain tubes well without messing anything up. I got it at Lowes.

I doubled up a four foot length of weed wacker string, worked fine. You can carefully pull the tip of the hose out of the hole in the panel (as shown in the photo linked above) to check the tube to make sure it hasn't gotten kinked somehow, just don't pull hard on the end of the hose, you wouldn't want to pull it off the drain pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom