Terrain Tamer suspension bushes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Just took delivery of my OME leaf springs and Terrain tamer bushes (Synthetic elastomer), my question is the bushes have no crush tubes ?
I asked the supplier about it and they said the shackle spindle rotates directly on the bush, doesn't sound right to me.
What stops the shackle binding up on the bush and crushing it ? also my spindle bolts look to be considerably smaller than the 18mm hole in the bush possibly 15mm.
My truck is a 1982 JDM BJ41
Will throw up some pics as it happens

Any thoughts ?

Greasable shackles or just grease stops the binding

There is no sleeve. That's why so many people over tighten the bolts. There are large and small diameter shackle bolts. Sounds like yours are not matched up.

Thanks all will let you know if the spindles have shoulders or not when I take them apart next week.

Just follow the torque specs, resist the urge to tighten the bejeezus out of them, the torque specs leave you thinking it should be more but it guarantees that you don't crush the bushings or bind the shackle movement.

Most aftermarket spring shackles use regular bolts, but with self locking nuts so that you don't have to crush the crap out of the spring bushing shoulders. A thick axle bearing grease works very well inside spring shackles and bushings, needs to be very low quality grease, almost bees wax to stay inside, and keep debris outside (think old covered wagon axle grease). You can't grease stock rubber bushings or "cheap" poly bushings because they do not have inhibitors built-in to tolerate lubricants. Good quality poly bushings do have the inhibitors. Just saying.

Hi all

Just took delivery of my OME leaf springs and Terrain tamer bushes (Synthetic elastomer), my question is the bushes have no crush tubes ?
I asked the supplier about it and they said the shackle spindle rotates directly on the bush, doesn't sound right to me.
What stops the shackle binding up on the bush and crushing it ? also my spindle bolts look to be considerably smaller than the 18mm hole in the bush possibly 15mm.
My truck is a 1982 JDM BJ41
Any thoughts ?

Sounds like they sent a kit for an earlier truck. In 1979 (I THINK) the shackle bolts and bushings were changed from 15mm to 18mm. You need the 18mm parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom