Viscous fan hub with electronic lock up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fan hub.PNG

This fan hub has an option of electronic override either by ECU or manual dash switch.
Anyone ever seen one to suit an 80 series ? Would be very interested.

Cheers.

Don't fix whats not broken?

What would be the purpose? Deactivate for less engine load at hwy speeds?

Don't fix whats not broken?

What would be the purpose? Deactivate for less engine load at hwy speeds?
This is nothing new. My 2005 Dodge /cummins has this type of fan clutch. In an electronically controlled power train the fan clutch can be triggered by transmission temps alone as well as water temp. I would expect that this makes for a quicker responding and more precisely timed lock up of the fan clutch rather than waiting for higher temp air outside the radiator. Obviously this requires OBD2.

these type of clutched fans are on the large diesel trucks from International, Mack, etc, have been used for years. Nothing new, except in when they are controlled to enhance engine cooling. It is one way to reduce engine torque losses by disengaging when cooling isn't necessary, and also aid in faster engine warm-up in winter.

Yes we all know this. I think the op is asking if there is a clutch like this for an 80

Why?

As stated, a properly operating viscous fan clutch already does everything one of these will, as far as needs on our rigs. disengages almost completely then not needed (if not overfilled and the clutch can keep the fluid in the reservoir and out of the friction plates) and easily locks up enough when airflow temp over the clutch requires.

It isn't like our trucks have allison transmissions and 20k# GVWR

Last edited:
There is a way to use one, but it will involve electrical work. Wiring, a small "ECM" to control it, and careful modification of a truck unit to not destroy the fan shroud. Horton makes a few of these things, and probably the one used in the Dodge Ram pickup with the 5.9L inline 6 diesel would fit. The ones made for the 15L trucks will be too heavy and expensive.

and the added electrical power load might be too much for the alternator, if you have made a lot of modifications to add power hungry devices.

I would guess the Eclutch would use about the same amount of epower as the A/C clutch?

HMMWV's have a similar style fan clutch, in that The operator has control of the lockup and disengagement in the original design it was a cable operated fan clutch and it was used to Fjord rivers and streams etc... The idea being to disengage the fan prior to entering the water.

Looks cool, but why not just use a totally electric fan (other than it's just cool)?

Looks cool, but why not just use a totally electric fan (other than it's just cool)?

I'm just guessing, because I don't really know, but I would think the clutch fan would have less electrical draw, even with the electric clutch.

I'm just guessing, because I don't really know, but I would think the clutch fan would have less electrical draw, even with the electric clutch.

That would not be a problem or at least should not, if you have the right alternator, cables fuses .. etc ( installation ) .. so other than reliability, I don't see a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom