Where to buy 24v bulbs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Napa. Heavy truck shops as well.

Dan is right.
I got dash bulbs at NAPA. The teenie ones they had to order. Had to wait a day.

Not the same story in Seattle. Went to two Napa's, no luck. Called a third. I might have gotten rookies though. I'll keep trying. Just looking for a front maker. Thanks for all the help fellas.

i find the toyota dealer are the cheapest in canada

Charles,
Dash lights too?
Larry, Not initially but that's part of the long range plans. For now, the plan is to convert the turn signals, brake lights and back up lights to LED and of course the dome lights. There will be LED fog lights front and rear also.

Have just received 24 volt bulbs and thought I’d post here. Good prices for sure. These are going in my JDM 1980 BJ 44
1568845915419.jpeg

Many of those bulbs are available as 24V LED's. But I understand some want the classic look of incandescent bulbs.

Many of those bulbs are available as 24V LED's. But I understand some want the classic look of incandescent bulbs.

I ran LEDs for a bit and they just look plain stupid on a truck from 1985. I went back
to all OEM incandescent bulbs.

@CatskillsRunner was keen enough to get me to see how dumb they really did look on a 35 year old truck.

That said, I did upgrade the wiring for the headlights and used new Koito H4 headlight assys with new 24v relays. Made a huge difference.

I can understand the struggle between form and function. But LED's function better in almost every way. Not only in quicker illumination but they are almost always brighter. A compromise would be incandescent tail lights with an LED 3rd brake light. The thought of getting rear ended by a non- or under-insured driver concerns me.

“Our research shows that between 37% and 74% of rear-end collisions are preventable by early warning systems.... Just 0.5 seconds [500 ms] in early warning would reduce rear-end collisions by 60%.” Two UMTRI studies conclude that LED signals provide a braking response time advantage between 170 and 200 ms under favorable lighting conditions and up to 300 ms under adverse lighting conditions (e.g., viewing at a distance with high-intensity illumination on the lamp surface). Note that a 200 ms improvement in braking response time is equivalent to a 19.1 feet reduction in stopping distance at a speed of 65 MPH."

I kept my reverse lights LED. Everything else went back to OEM lighting.

Aftermarket LEDs seemed to suck for me in the headlight position. I couldn’t stand the illumination in rain and snow (which I get a lot of in upstate NY). They hurt my eyes and the reflection was awful.

Yes, good thing I said, "But LED's function better in almost every way," because incandescents can have a perfect Color Rendering Index (CRI) of 100. LED's generally 60-90 CRI.

Also, those LED Headlights have a sharp cut-off (so they don't blind others) while incandescents have a more gradual cut-off (preferred, if you are the only person on the road).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom