CV Boot Won't Stay On! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 Cruiser w/ 97K
I just bought a boot kit (OEM) to repair a slightly leaking CV boot on the passenger side and it has turned into a big ordeal! I was a little worried my shade tree mechanic skills weren't up to the challenge so I took it to a Yota dealer for them to put new boots on. After I got it back and drove it for maybe 10 miles all of the grease from the outboard boot was spattered all over the wheel. Took it back for them to re do it and same thing happened again when the tech drove it. The master tech told me it's a known problem on these boot clamps. So after a third boot kit and the same thing happening again the dealer just gave me a new axel at cost and installed it for free since I had already paid them for the boot change.

Anyone had a similar experience and used different clamps for the boots to stay on? I'm going to keep the old axel as a spare and try the clamps the person used in the FAQ section about changing CV boots.

On a side note...American Toyota in ABQ was awesome throughout the whole ordeal and I wanted to publicly thank them and the master tech for getting me back on the road in such a short time before my Thanksgiving road trip to CO!

2007 with a bad boot? weird I have 2001 and still good/ anyway your Tota mechanchik looks like a rookie to me can't even clamp the boot.

One more reason to use Pfran clamps.

There are a lot of mechanics that seem to draw blanks on this, it's a complicated issue. non LC mechanics have a learning curve.

For the life of me, I don't understand why it's difficult. But I seem to be in the same ordeal. Boot won't stay on and the mechanic wants to peddle a new axle. The axle isn't a problem in my opinion and I'm skeptical of ANY mechanic that wants to replace it.

I ordered the Pfran kit and I'm walking the mechanic through my th the fix now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom