Need some help with whip wiring on a Millermatic 250 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
Threads
i ran a cross an old Millermatic 250 Mig welder that was rode hard from a welding shop and was missing several parts. I wasn't sure if this old welder worked, but it was cheap enuff, so I decided it was worth the gamble. One reason I purchased it was because I own a miller 250 at home and knew I could swap the missing parts off my machine to see if this old 250 would work, without spending any money. So I swapped the parts over last night and this old welder works fine. I used my welders whip & gun for the test. This old welder came with a whip and gun, but I didn't hook it up because two wires were cut. I know it needs a nozzle, but the problem I have is some wires have been cut that I guess activates the gas valve from the hand piece and I have 4 different colors of wires(refer to pic). Its a Radnor gun and a plug from china. Does anybody have a good guess which wire goes where? Can I hook them up by trial & error without hurting the machine. Its as clear as mud! red, white & black, green. thanks, Ken
20151119_075329_resized.jpg

don't know anything about this particular system, but I'll ramble on anyway. It seems like there could be 2 circuits: one for the power at least and indeed perhaps one for the gas although conceivably that could be fed off the main power switch circuit inside the box somewhere. Seems like you could try without connecting anything and see if it either does or does not kick the wire and does or does not kick the gas.
That is it for my speculations of the day! Now on to the cognoscenti!

After looking very closely at my original Miller 250 I found that Miller uses a 4 prong plug, but only uses 2 of the 4 pins to hook up the whip. So I hooked up the whip as it is pictured and it works fine. FYI,
I post this because, I run across many threads while searching for answers to a problem from this website along with other sites, that questions are asked & resolutions are offered, but there are rarely ever conclusions of success or not from the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom