Got troopy! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, that's a good question. So far, @ $1600 for unit, condenser and the good vents. Vents alone were $100 a piece, x4. I still need a dryer and some fancy hoses.

Thanks Ron. That seems to be the ballpark for other systems as well...once you're done with all the accessories. I might be able to fit the Restomod unit, but it takes up most of the firewall They don't offer mockup units so it's tough to tell how it would look. Made a cardboard template, but that looks lousy!

Last edited:
Starting the Old Air 2100 series system install. AC newb here so this ought to be interesting and a learning experience. Painted the unit with SEM Color Coat and installed mounting studs with spacers for the firewall. Fitting the controller into the dash. Installed the AC comp with Old Air brackets.

I have to sort out the relocation OR elimination of the oil cooler which is currently in front of the radiator...where the condenser needs to live.
Question: On a 6.0L LQ4, is the oil cooler necessary? Not quite sure where to put it.

Trying to figure out where to run the hoses into the cab. The v8 is too close to the stock heater line holes in the firewall, so that's out. Considering installing them next to the clutch master.
Question: Any concerns with this location or suggestions?

UnitPainted.jpg

UnitMounts.jpg

ACcontrol.jpg

ACpump.jpg

ManifoldLocate.jpg

Last edited:
Rt hand drive and the fittings for that unit are on the Rt hand side that looks like ur best bet

U might run into interference on ur vent routing with the control panel there. I put mine in the ash tray slot

1447043853934.jpg

I have to sort out the relocation OR elimination of the oil cooler which is currently in front of the radiator...where the condenser needs to live.
Question: On a 6.0L LQ4, is the oil cooler necessary? Not quite sure where to put it.

probably depends on your climate if you need the cooler or not you can buy blank plates to bypass the cooler hoses down by the oil filter, I've never bothered running a cooler on my engine (non race application and cooler climate)

Awesome troopy mate

s-l500.jpg

On my 5.3, I used the auto trans. cooler built into the aftermarket radiator. I believe a lot of guys use the plate above and run their oil pressure line to it, not using the cooler. You could also run a small cooler in front or below your condenser.

U might run into interference on ur vent routing with the control panel there. I put mine in the ash tray slot

Thanks. Trying to find other locations for the vents and may mount them under the dash. Searching for good looking, non-plastic, under dash vents, but there's not much out there. It's either $14 for plastic or $100+ for aluminum.

probably depends on your climate if you need the cooler or not you can buy blank plates to bypass the cooler hoses down by the oil filter, I've never bothered running a cooler on my engine (non race application and cooler climate)
Awesome troopy mate
View attachment 1160992

Called my local GM dealer and ordered it up! Thanks for the help and comment.

On my 5.3, I used the auto trans. cooler built into the aftermarket radiator. I believe a lot of guys use the plate above and run their oil pressure line to it, not using the cooler. You could also run a small cooler in front or below your condenser.

If it runs hot after I remove the large cooler, I'll look for a smaller cooler that will fit with the condenser. Good idea!

Got the Old Air unit mounted and it fits pretty well. While the TC shifter does not hit the housing, it is close enough that the vinyl boot will rub on it. Considering cutting the TC shifter 90% of the way through at the base and bending it back about 1/8" OR removing it, heating it up and bending it back. Any opinions on that?

Also started working on the M12000 due to the exterior starting to rust. The internals looked like new which was a relief. Ordered new gaskets, drum bushings, bolts, and struts. Sandblasted it and like the polished look, although it might be too blingy. Has anyone cleared their winch as opposed to painting? Are there any HD clear coatings that would last or better off painting?

*Thanks to Mark@Cruisercrap for the sweet SYF shiftball.

OAunit2.jpg

OAunit1.jpg

Winch1.jpg

Winch2.jpg

Removed the oil cooler and installed the block off. It's not even leaking! On to mounting the condenser.

Finished restoring the M12000. Considering swapping it out for an 8274 to sit lower and have the winch line go through the bumper.

20151125_143403_resized.jpg

20151125_143449_resized.jpg

Got busy last summer and have a few updates. Starting with 35s and Mark's awesome shackles. Not many good options for extended shackles and these helped level the rake. Standard OME shackles had a 5" rake VS Mark's shackles helped tune it to 2" rake. 2.5" extended on the front with 1.5" extended on the rear.

TroopyField2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom