cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Fairlane, looks good with a little bit of trim removed.
Coincidentally I saw my old 42 on the weekend, bit of a kick up the bum to work on the 45.

Nice Fairlane, looks good with a little bit of trim removed.
Coincidentally I saw my old 42 on the weekend, bit of a kick up the bum to work on the 45.

Turns out I won't be arriving at yours via a V8 45, but I think a visit is still in order. Damn time!

nice fairlane!

001.JPG

Got this far yesterday. Only this far because my input shaft extension is wrong [that's what can happen when you cobble together parts from all over the place to consolidate into one kit]. It's actually a ******* Ford pattern on the output end. Toploader or something. Catskinner is on the case [he kindly donated the original conversion, sans shaft cause I already had one], and I have a few other irons in the fire in case that doesn't work out. Just gotta get me that shaft and get back to the truck..

IMG_3655.jpg

Update: it's in. Engineer housemate Ross [between work engagements] came down and helped me like a bloody champ. Not only did he help me out yesterday but he helped me again today. Turns out the input shaft extension was Holden pattern. Seeing as the flywheel and PP were Holden too all I had to do was source a Holden clutch plate and Bob was my uncle. So armed with parts in hand we made our way down to the truck and under the constant threat of darkness and rain we:

a] pulled the donk.
b] cleaned up flywheel face [torqued and loctited yesterday].
c] slotted brass bush into flywheel.
d] using input shaft extension, correctly located clutch plate and torqued/loctited PP.
e] installed Mark's 4WD conversion bellhousing [post 803].
f] filled female end of input shaft extension with malleable metal play-doh as it was too short - Ross' calculations dead on.
g] slide input shaft extension through collar into brass bush in flywheel.
h] bolt Toyota factory bellhousing to Mark's 4WD conversion bellhousing.
i] drill clutch fork locating pin holes into blocks on collar.
j] install clutch fork onto collar and clutch pivot onto bellhousing.
k] bolt gearbox to Toyota bellhousing.
l] roll/lower/roll/lower/lift/lower/roll/lift/roll/etc engine home.
m] drink some ******* beers.

This is of course the abridged version, whereby there's no mention of smashed fingers; doing/undoing/redoing bolts x 1000; cursing Mr. Toyoda; cursing GM; thinking; frustration; despondency; etc.

So as it sits now the Toyota bellhousing mounts are sitting on the stock chassis mounts, there's a bar running under the sump of the donk and straddling the frame and the bonnet is down and covered with a tarp cause we got hail, inbound. The next step is to lose the Toyota engine mounts [currently the oil filter housing is literally where the Toyota engine mount is], centre and lower the engine into it's spot and bust out the stick welder and fab me up some engine mounts for this sucker. Then all I gotta do is plug and play it all back in; [undo part of that; redo part of that] x 1000 - then, maybe then I'll have it driving. Boom ;)

Last edited:
Hey mate what engine is that?? If it's ford engine wouldn't mind some pics of the shafts
I wonder if my cruiser had an extension on my 72?

Hey mate what engine is that?? If it's ford engine wouldn't mind some pics of the shafts
Bryce it's a Holden donk, but same concept - what shafts, driveshafts?

Input shaft extension?

Update: engine mounts off - thank you cut off wheel; bell housing mounts in place and aligned with a bolt; engine lowered to near final position; bib on; hood down; engine crane packed up to be returned.

No pics, so this could just be a ruse..

Thanks Brian. Keen to get the mounts in and button it all up and GO FOR A ******* DRIVE. THere's a 4x4 track about 45 mins from where the track is so with any luck over the Christmas break.. ;)

More time on the truck but little progress. With no skills, no idea and an underpowered arc welder I got the mounts tacked together. They're essentially one piece of 100mm x 100mm x 100mm box steel tube with a 4mm wall cut diagonally into two, then plated across the top. Gonna take them down to the fab shop and get 'em blazed in properly. I'll also get another 120mm x 120mm plate scabbed to the back, which will then be blazed to the frame. Some backyard-ish [but only ish] mounts came with the kit, and they accept a Toyota isolator assy. - so a bit of a win there. Going to raise the engine another 10-20mm so that the carb base plate is level - that will be it's final position.

Unless you can have the engine on more of an angle? Not too much, but was hoping to go up 30-40mm so that the fan lines up more with the radiator.

Having said that I can always drop the rad in the rad support by 10-20mm - there's space to do so. Might even do both. Just concerned about cooling is all. Having said that, it's a 4.2L and the rad came from a '77 40 with a 2F, so the capacity shouldn't be too much of an issue. Guess I'll find out.

Pics to come when my SS membership comes through. Musta let that sucker lapse.

Last edited:
As it sits. Needs to come up 20-40mm if I can. Also thinking of canting the rad back so it's dead parallel with the fan. Hoping to run without a shroud [even though I know the benefits]. If not, I'll make one up or mod the original one to suit.

IMG_3777.JPG

Gonna try run the top and bottom rad hoses as they are - just get creative with some hard pipe and rubber bends. I figure it'll give me an extra litre of coolant. Heck, I might even run the top hose to another small tank before running back to the rad. If it pumps through of course.

IMG_3778.JPG

Pax side engine mount and Toyota rubber isolator.

IMG_3779.JPG

And that's where it sits in relation to the frame. Another 20-40mm will be all good in tha 'hood.

IMG_3780.JPG

Same pax side mount from behind. The oil pump/filter housing is the round thing close to the frame. It's 15mm off - and Qld DOT regs say it needs to be 10mm minimum.

IMG_3781.JPG

Hadn't planned it but ended up getting my mounts blazed in today. Local mobile welder, one hour, $70. Good fella too, shared a few tips and didn't mind laying in the dirt. Some of his welds weren't perfect, but they work and they're a damn sight better than mine. Gonna drill the mounts, bolt the motor home and return it to my place where I can work on it when I please.

IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG

Page 3? Oh the embarrassment..

Was on a self-imposed deadline to get the truck driving and out of my mates place before Christmas. Got the latter done. The former not so much..

The good news is it needed to be almost complete before travelling. Sorry for the spoiler but it's almost complete. Did the following prior to towing:

1. Drilled D/S [RHS] chassis-side bell-housing mount hole further aft to move the engine further off the P/S [LHS] chassis rail some.
2. Marked and drilled holes in new engine mounts.
3. Torqued engine down into final location, including adding 5mm to the height to try grab more air via the V8 clutch fan.
4. Reinstalled tailshaft.
4a. During tailshaft re-installation, tailshaft stud fell inside handbrake assy. [J30].
4b. Cursed.
4c. Recovered, then found a 24mm spanner, cracked the nut and removed the drum.
4d. Discovered that on the drum shaft there's some kind of seal that holds the gear oil in.
4e. Cursed again. Located oil collection device.
4f. Drained gear oil.
4g. Hammered aforementioned stud home. Checked handbrake inner-workings. Looked good.
4h. Reinstalled drum.
4i. Reinstalled tailshaft.
5. Notched radiator frame to seat radiator lower to try grab more air via the V8 clutch fan. Gained 15mm.
6. Starter in.
7. Started thinking about exhaust routing.
8. Played with gal exhaust pipe bends/rad hose bends on hand to start planning radiator hose rerouting.
9. Re-connected handbrake.
10. Reconnected reverse switch wiring.
11. Sticks in, tunnel on.
12. Seats in, tank to be Samboyed.
13. Stole brake hard-line clips from my mates 4 Runner for my missing ones. He don't need no brakes anyway.
14. Started thinking about notching the bottom of the stock Toyota shroud so it fits around the Holden fan.
15. Bib, guards, etc. bolted up.
16. Towed to my house TODAY.
17. Started planning for the de-emission-mission, battery potential re-location, accelerator cable mod and installing this $15 special..

image.jpeg

And for some reason, I still can't upload pics. Might have to try Chrome.

Last edited:
Nope, not even Google Chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom