Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447987200.383011.jpg

Pic of the new wipers on. I ended up getting RH and LH arms which apparently the RH is longer than the left. I inadvertently swapped them (RH is on drivers side) doesn't seem to interfere though.

Ok so finally got around to dusting off the welder.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448313437.063190.jpg

I really needed some practice with the super thin sheet metal of these bodies. After a couple days of watching different videos on Youtube I decided to buy some 22ga steel and do some practicing on small squares. I am definitely getting better but have figured that if there is ANY gap I completely suck at trying to stitch it. For me it is definitely A LOT about watching my heat and watching the gap.

Here is the before pick of the ~4x4 square that I was attempting to replace.. see the nice WIDE gap that I had... yeah that wasn't working out so well
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448313448.699699.jpg

Here is the after.... This is after cutting out the old piece and doing a new piece in there and actually picking up a tip from an Eastwood video where that guy said to spot weld in a backer piece. I did this all around (yeah looks real ugly on the inside) but ended up working out good for me.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448313458.355026.jpg

Since we are supposed to be having a massive storm coming through in the next couple of days I wanted to get this handled before it hit. Took me about 6hrs yesterday of futzing with everything. But it is done and I am happy with my work. Again, I do not really care about it being "show" quality flat and whatnot because it will get Monstaliner'd in the near future and this only has rust converter on it, not filler or anything.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448313469.361208.jpg

So that brings me to the next major area of rust that needs to be handled. I found this on the rear passenger door a few weeks ago. Not really sure how to approach as I do not have access to another door and those I have found for "recyclers" well they want $300+ for the doorskin. @reevesci I am looking at your for recommendations on how to fab that spot!!!!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448313482.583378.jpg

And decided to take BeBe out to work the suspension a little bit. Was sick on Friday but not sick enough that I was just down for the count but enough that I got kicked out of my office. I don't sit still well in the first place and situations like this just make me antsy. So went for a ride.

Last edited:
G,

For a rookie the patch off a donor door is the best and easiest way. My way, if I don't have a donor door, is a piece of 16-20 ga sheet, my leather shot bag and peens. Shoot me an email with the exact location on the door and I'll see if I have that piece in my stash..

J

G,

For a rookie the patch off a donor door is the best and easiest way. My way, if I don't have a donor door, is a piece of 16-20 ga sheet, my leather shot bag and peens. Shoot me an email with the exact location on the door and I'll see if I have that piece in my stash..

J
Thanks J. That spot is rear passenger door, right at the bend before it flattens along the lower section of the door. I will take a pic in the light for you tomorrow.

Took me 4 days over 3 weeks to read this entire thread. It was like the Iliad for me. Greg, So impressed with your ability to post/write all of this stuff. Man, I just never had the patience. I'm getting old now and with a child I don't go to the bar and hang out anymore. Just read on my computer for fun. I have questions comments but some of the posts are so old they dont even apply anymore. Oddly, I just ordered the upper Oil Cooler Hose from SOR yesterday. Hoping to go up north over Thanksgiving so I need to put that hose on. I put a non molded L hose on from Napa and it's kinked all ready. Making me nervous. Keep it up and one day I'll come up there and help you turn the wrench.

@joebattle1 That's funny you are going up north for the holiday and I am headed down your way. Actually headed to Carmel for a few days to see the wife's family. Not taking the cruiser as that is what we have the 4runner for (though not as comfortable as our old 2nd gen Highlander). Yeah this truck is an on-going project and will ultimately never be done as I am sure when I get close to getting "done" with it I will rip her apart for a full resto or something to that sort.

Ok for one of the next items on the agenda to fix, oil cooler hoses... Both of mine are pretty engorged and fat, especially comparing to the new ones I just got from @beno.... Has anyone removed these before? Do I need to do an oil change or coolant change or both to remove and replace?

If you pull (or cut) the lower hose on the cooler, all the coolant that needs to drain out will. Get a big bucket.

The motor oil is fine. None will be lost. The hoses only carry coolant.

No need to "change" the coolant. You just drained most of it out.

If you pull (or cut) the lower hose on the cooler, all the coolant that needs to drain out will. Get a big bucket.

The motor oil is fine. None will be lost. The hoses only carry coolant.

No need to "change" the coolant. You just drained most of it out.

So I am draining most of the coolant out of the system, or at least that part of the system... Thinking a couple 5 gallon buckets worth or one or???

Ok so a little over 4gallons (or close there of) should drain out... Hell at that point I might as well drain from the radiator first and then pull the lines and drain the remaining...

I have just been putting NAPA branded straight green in with a gallon or so of water here or there... Any recommendations on new coolant?

SOR told me that all of the other hoses were not available. The upper hose was $28 bucks from them! I'm going to reach out to @beno for the others. I recently changed all of my belts and did all of the other hoses. I wish I'd of had these handy then when I had the whole front end off. Oh well...

Ok something new going on. This week I went to the first part of trying out for a new job. As I was driving to the place I noticed that my temp gauge was close to the top, like right at the 3/4 way point. It did hover there for me the entire time but what is worry-some is the fact that the heater was going full blast.

This continued the rest of the week and Thursday night I got some coolant and burped the system. Ended up needing about half a gallon if that so was pretty good. Last night I am messing around and replacing diff fluid I both diffs and while under the front I notice the oil pan has a bit of a green sheen to it but only when shining the flashlight just right.

So I go for a run with the new diff oil, get home and swap vehicles to pick the wife up to go to dinner. When we get back to the house there is a nice big puddle of coolant on the driveway that I can tell has come from the overflow bottle. When I was running it around the temp did the same thing, got up to normal operating temp about 1/3 to 1/2 half and then suddenly spiked to the 3/4 and stayed there.

Anyone got any thoughts? I am stumped on this one. Thinking maybe I got a slight clog somewhere?

Hey Gregnash have you installed the fat mat for sound deadening? If so how did it all go and would have any suggestions to make it easier? Also what thickness did you go with?

Ok something new going on. This week I went to the first part of trying out for a new job. As I was driving to the place I noticed that my temp gauge was close to the top, like right at the 3/4 way point. It did hover there for me the entire time but what is worry-some is the fact that the heater was going full blast.

This continued the rest of the week and Thursday night I got some coolant and burped the system. Ended up needing about half a gallon if that so was pretty good. Last night I am messing around and replacing diff fluid I both diffs and while under the front I notice the oil pan has a bit of a green sheen to it but only when shining the flashlight just right.

So I go for a run with the new diff oil, get home and swap vehicles to pick the wife up to go to dinner. When we get back to the house there is a nice big puddle of coolant on the driveway that I can tell has come from the overflow bottle. When I was running it around the temp did the same thing, got up to normal operating temp about 1/3 to 1/2 half and then suddenly spiked to the 3/4 and stayed there.

Anyone got any thoughts? I am stumped on this one. Thinking maybe I got a slight clog somewhere?

I am not an expert in any way on this but I had something similar to this and my thermostat was stuck so all I had to do was replace it and it solved all my overheating problems. Maybe try this and hopefully it fixes it!

That's good advice.

You can even troubleshoot it further.

Completely remove the thermostat and bolt the t-housing back together.

Refill with coolant and burp.
Take the cruiser on a test run that normally overheated it.

If the coolant temp needle stays down around 1/4, you know the issue was the thermostat. If the temp rises to 3/4 or overheats, the problem is with the radiator.

Don't drive around with the thermostat removed permanently.
On real hot days, the radiator will work less efficiently as the bypass circuit will always be open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom