greasing shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an OME lift with grease-able shackles.
While greasing them for the/my first time I can see that the old grease is pushed out just a short distance from the grease nipple.

I don't think new grease is getting all the way over to the far side.

Should I jack the truck up and relieve pressure on the shackle?

Post some pics of where it came out, often the old grease gets hard inside the shackle and you won't be able to push the new grease through. You can either take the grease nipple out and try and see if it is getting through and cleaning it with a piece of wire, or remove the shackle and give it a good clean. It's a good idea once you know there is good grearse in there to put a few pumps in at every service.

The grease is coming out from the spring side of the shackle, maybe 1/4" from the grease nipple.

This may sound crazy but you could always machine the yellow OME bushes to suit o-rings and that way you could fill the whole assemble with marine type bearing grease. :)

Ummmmm, I am not familiar with the benefits of marine grease. It stays where you put it longer?

That's a good observation. Lucas marine grease is lithium based, that's what I typically use.

MarineGrease-BTP-3.jpg

I jacked the truck up by the axles then put more shackle grease in.
The grease still oozes out from locations very near the nipple.
I used a wire to probe around the space with the grease nipples out.
All the old grease is still very soft; like new.
I will probably disassemble the shackles sometime soon.

When you bolt them back together slip in four 4 o-rings if the bushes are in good condition and them pump in your grease as that will stop it pushing past the easy side and hopefully lube the whole bush and pin.

Old thread but I finally have got around to posting a pic or two.

First shows a rear shackle with an arrow pointing to where the grease escapes. It does not seem to travel farther on into the bushing.
upload_2016-1-14_15-48-13.png

next pic is general condition of springs. Should leafs be lubed/oiled?
upload_2016-1-14_15-49-34.png

Hello Jblueridge,

I am not a mechanic, and i am not one to push my limited opinions on others. All the same, i recently went through all my grease nipples ('92 Troopie; my thread: 'A Troopie Finds Its Owner', in which i mention this issue).
I found that something like 15 of the grease nipples (zerks, if you prefer) needed to be replaced, as the grease just wouldn't go through (the grease gun's pump handle would just stop, for example). In two or three cases, the tiny ball at the visible end of the zerk was not seated correctly, such that it blocked off the avenue for the grease to go through; in one case, when the nipple was removed, the ball was not only at the wrong end of the nipple, it stuck out at the opposite end, and the spring was hanging out (and it had rust on it). This one can only discover when the nipple has been removed.
I'd say don't be shy to remove the grease nipples and replace if need be; they are not expensive or difficult items to replace. I hope this is useful for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom