Why no amber LED fog lights? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After getting my first cheapo LED light bar, I'm hooked. I love the obscene amount of light pouring out of them for locating camp at night, setting up camp, bombing down desert backroads, recovery situations, etc.

Been looking for lower draw, decent Amber LED fog lights and can't seem to find any. I do drive through serious snow storms over Vail Pass and the Divide and find the amber light cuts the reflection nicely.

I guess my question is why don't we see these available? If they are around, who makes'em? I would think that reflector technology is far enough along to create a nice wide, flat beam with good cutoff so as not to blind traffic. for fog lights I can't imagine needing 10000 lumens, either. ;)

Anyway...I'm curious about the technology, light patterns, wavelengths etc...or maybe fogs are right around the corner. I'm hoping 2000UZJ or BajaDesigns might chime in with some enlightenment.

Thanks for entertaining this question.

After getting my first cheapo LED light bar, I'm hooked. I love the obscene amount of light pouring out of them for locating camp at night, setting up camp, bombing down desert backroads, recovery situations, etc.

Been looking for lower draw, decent Amber LED fog lights and can't seem to find any. I do drive through serious snow storms over Vail Pass and the Divide and find the amber light cuts the reflection nicely.

I guess my question is why don't we see these available? If they are around, who makes'em? I would think that reflector technology is far enough along to create a nice wide, flat beam with good cutoff so as not to blind traffic. for fog lights I can't imagine needing 10000 lumens, either. ;)

Anyway...I'm curious about the technology, light patterns, wavelengths etc...or maybe fogs are right around the corner. I'm hoping 2000UZJ or BajaDesigns might chime in with some enlightenment.

Thanks for entertaining this question.

Toytec actually is selling some.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/5LR-Slim-Amber-Pod-LED-Light_p_886.html

I've got am amber Rigid LED light bar....eh...honestly, not impressed at all with the light output.

I would love to try a set of these:
http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Cannon/c1_255/index.html

best of all worlds...one light, multiple patterns AND colors for different situations...

I've got am amber Rigid LED light bar....eh...honestly, not impressed at all with the light output.

I would love to try a set of these:
http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Cannon/c1_255/index.html

best of all worlds...one light, multiple patterns AND colors for different situations...

The problem with 'snap on filters' and LEDs is that the spectrum coming out of a so called white LED is nothing like full spectrum white light.

A white LED is generally a blue LED with a phosphor coating (the yellowish looking stuff that you see when the LED is off). If you look at the spectrum of a white LED it has peaks at certain frequencies to mix together something that looks 'white' to our eyes. Different colour temp LEDs (warm, natural, cold etc in laymans terms) are just the same underlying blue LED with a different concoction in the phosphor to emit the desired light.

So, if you put an amber filter over a white LED you can lose a lot more light output than the same filter over a similar output incandescent/halogen etc. For instance, a 'cold' LED will have very little spectrum energy down in the red end (hence the 'cold' versus 'warm' nature of the light), so an amber filter will block a LOT of the light and you'll end up with relatively little 'amber' coming through.

Coloured LEDs (other than white...) emit the specific colour and don't use a phosphor.

One problem I see (!) with most LED lighting is that there is no provision for dimming the output, so regardless of the conditions they will pump out full output - e.g. straight into a fog wall. Given that one major benefit of a LED is that it can be dimmed so easily without major shift in colour temperature, it seems a pity that most commercial vehicle aux LED lighting has missed the ball in this respect.

cheers,
george.

George is very correct. I've got amber covers for my Rigids and they work well, but cut the output by a full 50%. Baja Designs offers a standard dimming mode on their nicer bars to dim things 50% with the push of a button. I believe they also offer a dimmer adjustable from 0-100%.

I love the amber at night in the rain and in the snow. They're still way too bright to use with traffic though and I've never seen aftermarket LED bars with a flat cutoff to not blind traffic. That's why I use yellow HIDs for on road use in inclement weather. You can't beat the cutoff of a proper HID projector:
DSCN2868_zpsa16ef759.jpg

I rarely see fog, although I do drive in dust and rain very frequently.

I bought a set of rigid dually's recently and for the size, the output is pretty impressive, When on foggy or dusty conditions, I wouldnt mind using a set of the add on filters even if it kills output, when on dusty or rainy conditions, I want to see near, not far, and that's exactly what ill get.

Rigid also makes amber lights, on all of their E and D lines I think.. You should check these out..

I've been curious how much light the amber Rigids put out compared to the white Rigids with covers. I don't think I've ever seen a comparison, but I'll bet the dedicated amber lights put out a good bit more output.

Rant: VisionX likes hyped marketing to spin their goods...this being from my direct experience with various VisionX LED products including their amber "fog" LED lamps...which didn't even partially live up to their marketing hype; and they wouldn't stand behind them when confronted with the significant shortcomings of what they promised. Rigid seem to be on a commensurate path with over-hype marketing.

A fog/dust lamp needs to be limited in its vertical light wash to be effective. Maybe one exists...I haven't seen one. Hella seems to be on the right path with rear projection/reflected beam to try to control and focus the LED output...but the form factor is anything but compact.

Hopefully somebody can harness LED's potential for all things driving light related including fog/dust performance.

If you want good amber/yellow fog lights there are 2 choices, Cibie 175's, or Cibie Oscar Plus, I have numerous pairs of both, the 175 have the widest spread of any fog light.

Problem is, neither are made anymore, but can still be found new or used. If I recall the material used in making the yellow lens has been banned. Hella still makes a yellow tint lens....but it nothing like a Cibie, I think its a paint on the lens.

Nothing wrong with clear fogs, but I do prefer the amber, both for my visibility but more so....so other idiots see me, I run them during the day year around.

Yellow bulbs dont work IMOP and they look ricer.

I'm a big fan of modifications that look OEM, one option you could go with is a retrofitted hid projector inside your halogen housing such as this http://www.customlightz.com/?p=p_150&sName=fog-light-retrofit

The option I went with (I have a 2008 Sequoia) is the Rigid Industries Dually amber led in flood pattern that worked perfectly with the Tundra retrofit bezel they sell. I went with this pattern based on the recommendation of one of their employees but I wasn't overly impressed with the beam pattern so they are sending me a set of D2 in amber with the wide pattern to replace it with. I'd compare the size of the Tundra/Sequoia foglight vs the Landcruiser, if they are the same you might be able to use the Tundra fit kit as well.

If your looking for amber fog lights check out the Baja Designs LED Squadron!! The run at 4300 lumens with a draw of only 42 watts. These light are sure to impress with CopperDrive circuit boards and thermal heat management to keep your light running at their highest efficiency. And the use ClearView multi-form optics that allow you to select which exact area of light you need covered. Also, Uservice lenses and optics that allow you to change lens to fit your needs. They may not be light bars but they sure perform with the same quality. But if your completely fixed on buying a lightbar we have multiple models to choose from including amber/white lens, and dual controlled ( allowing you to alternate between amber and regular lenses). Let me know if your interested or have any questions. Hope this information helps!!- Christian

If your looking for amber fog lights check out the Baja Designs LED Squadron!! The run at 4300 lumens with a draw of only 42 watts. These light are sure to impress with CopperDrive circuit boards and thermal heat management to keep your light running at their highest efficiency. And the use ClearView multi-form optics that allow you to select which exact area of light you need covered. Also, Uservice lenses and optics that allow you to change lens to fit your needs. They may not be light bars but they sure perform with the same quality. But if your completely fixed on buying a lightbar we have multiple models to choose from including amber/white lens, and dual controlled ( allowing you to alternate between amber and regular lenses). Let me know if your interested or have any questions. Hope this information helps!!- Christian

What is the voltage range on these lights? Can they run on 24v?

Engo has one. I got it through IPOR.

Rigid has a light bar that toggles between Amber and white LEDs. I have not tried it or seen it in action, but saw it in the catalog

Oh. And it is really expensive!

Anyone tried dropping in 3k HID bulbs into clear halogen fog lights? Seems like this could be a great way to get amber fog lights with solid output and beam pattern. Im thinking something like the rectangle Hella's or Cibies, maybe even PIAA 510's.

Anyone tried dropping in 3k HID bulbs into clear halogen fog lights? Seems like this could be a great way to get amber fog lights with solid output and beam pattern. Im thinking something like the rectangle Hella's or Cibies, maybe even PIAA 510's.
If the lamp takes h3 bulbs, get 35w 3000k h3c hids. Keeps the proper light focal point. Put a set in a friends hella micro de he has on his Tacoma. More light and less heat than 55w halogens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom