Big Ed's Business Card Idea - Please Vote 'Yes' or 'No' (1 Viewer)

Should Big Ed Pass Out 'Business' Cards When He's Too Overwhelmed to Speak?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Big Ed says, "I'm thinking of having business size cards printed up, that say something like this. For the people that won't stop pushing me when I'm having difficulties, and I can't verbally tell them what's going on. Thoughts?".

"Due to a head injury I'm overwhelmed, can't think, can't speak, and am in extreme pain right now. Please be understanding, and don't try to communicate with me. This will pass in time, thank you."
Please vote, in the poll above and comment, as you see fit, by replying to this thread.

Thanks!

Addressees:

Current list of veterans in the Veterans' Highway thread

@pngunme
@Chungas Revenge
@Colorado Boy-74-FJ40
@rkymtnflyfisher
@spotcruiser
@UltraFJ
@dieseldog
@krzyabncanuck
@sggoat
@FluByU
@WB8LBZ
@M0untaineer
@69LC
@Cdbailey
@FJCowboy
@ErikinSC
@reconranger
@CharlestonG8R
@honk
@Beau Diddly
@collk22
@daniel.watters
@Walkerm916
@Scuddyp4
@little_joe
@Ocho77
@jclarke450
@TexAZ
@divemedic
@ElPolloBlanco
@Helipilot
@brew8
@t_tentech
@firestopper
@Hugh Heifer
@awynne56
@thebrassnuckles
@KliersLC
@Alex Fogg
@Big Ed
@ExpoGeorgia
@David1947
@Boss Hog
@David1947
@coinoperated40
@OyajiJon
@jimep
@BIG RENO AL

Current list of non-veterans in the Veterans' Highway thread

@JohnnyC
@fj401978

I wanted to add my comment from the brain injury thread.

I haven't talked with my therapist about it yet, I think she will like the idea. She may have something to add. I have others that still welcome me in their organizations. Things go well with them, but I would like to try and prevent problems that happened in the other club. I would talk to people, seem to get them to understand. Then when it happens again, we're back to square one. Maybe a reminder at that moment is what is needed.

This card is specific to one type of situation, from the beginning I thought I might make one for another situation too. Maybe the same except for "having difficulty getting words out" instead of "unable to speak". Or they could both be included in the same card. Sometimes I can get some words out, but it's very difficult. I can only handle speaking to one person.

If that will work for you and if it helps you relax around a group of people, then go for it. We all (combat veterans) have our own way of coping with our injuries and I wish you good health and luck on your journey.

I like the idea of creating a way out of a conversation with a bully, and that tactic is better than the one I would employ. Depending on how long it takes for the brain to re-engage in the conversation, it might be useful to make the wording reflect that. I voted "yes."

Depending on how long it takes for the brain to re-engage in the conversation, it might be useful to make the wording reflect that.

Good idea. It usually isn't a few minutes, it can be quite a while.

The target group of people would be those that would be respectfull and back off if they understood the situation. It doesn't matter what I say, or give to bullies, they keep pushing. Unfortunately I've already experienced that.

It's unfortunate, but you're right about bullies. Confrontation is eventually the only tactic that really works. A good old shot to the grill will do wonders for someone who's got diarrhea of the yap. Sorry you have to deal with this s***. If you can't tell, I don't deal well with bullies...

If that will work for you and if it helps you relax around a group of people, then go for it. We all (combat veterans) have our own way of coping with our injuries and I wish you good health and luck on your journey.

^^ X2 ^^

You already know, Ed, that only you can decide the best way for you to cope... And it seems to me that you are making real progress!!

From what I read in your previous Chat thread, stooping to physical confrontation would only validate the bullies' comments and they aren't deserving of validation!!

Couple that with the problems you have in stress situations and you have a recipe for disaster...

I'm not disagreeing completely with @OyajiJon, there are appropriate times for confrontation, IMHO this isn't one of them.

Keep up the good work Ed... You have a lot of respect and admiration from a lot of people!!

Big Ed, I agree with all the above post about do what you need to do, people will have to understand.. I believe this method to me seems the most polite and to the point. You are a gentlemen because I don't think I would have handled it the way you are . @OyajiJon while I don't disagree with you on the old punch in the face.... back when I grew up in the 80's that was we handled it as school kids, you learned quick not to be a ass. But now a days they frown about that, so kids become adults with out a good punch in the face.

Andy

Big Ed, I agree with all the above post about do what you need to do, people will have to understand.. I believe this method to me seems the most polite and to the point. You are a gentlemen because I don't think I would have handled it the way you are . @OyajiJon while I don't disagree with you on the old punch in the face.... back when I grew up in the 80's that was we handled it as school kids, you learned quick not to be a ass. But now a days they frown about that, so kids become adults with out a good punch in the face.

Andy

I LIKE that Andy!! Some kids need a good punch in the face early on to teach them the meaning of "consequences".

Thinking back, I must have been a fairly slow learner, growing up in the 50's, I think it took more than one punch in the face... but, it wasn't all my own doing...

You see, I was fortunate to have a very good friend (also named "Danny") and unfortunate that we shared the same name... more than once, someone would come up to me and say, "are you Danny?". When I confirmed I was, they would punch me in the nose. I had more fights because of Danny that I ever had because of Danny...

"Those were the days my friend..."

Andy

In those moments it's all about trying to keep the stress at bearable levels, punching someone in the nose would be going in the opposite direction. Yes, it gets that bad.

@Big Ed, I am truly sorry that it does get that bad, I can't even try to comprehend the ordeals you and many other go through, all I can give is my support and a ear to listen.. you have that, and always will.

Andy

Thanks for the support. After running into people that twisted things around and made the situations worse, it's really comforting to get this kind of support and understanding.

@Big Ed, I am truly sorry that it does get that bad, I can't even try to comprehend the ordeals you and many other go through, all I can give is my support and a ear to listen.. you have that, and always will.

Andy

Where are you now Andy? If you can say...

New Jersey just makes a person want to punch people in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom