Firewood? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sheesh, that must have taken all day.
Do you have a ripping chain on that?
I own an Alaskan sawmill as well but I haven't gotten around to buying a ripping chain.

Took about 12 minutes per cut.

Took longer to square up the log to make the first cut than anything else.

That crane is "cheating"!!!!!:beer:;)

Very true. Dealing with big logs and trying to load them into trucks, trailers, etc.... it's just too convenient to use the crane. Ours sure made loading some big ponderosa logs into a truck and trailer a non-event.

Dan

image.jpeg
Made some slabs out of the oak log.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very rich colors
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Jealous I am.

Is it just me? Cutting oak with the grain is much harder on the operator and the equipment than across?

Started on a few more trees today.
image.jpeg

Both are leaning the wrong way.

image.jpeg

Probably the brushiest oaks I've cut.

Have to establish an escape route when felling them.
Choices are very limited.

image.jpeg

Cut a couple of pickup truck loads just cleaning up the downed limbs and skirting up the trees.

image.jpeg

I'm a touch lazy and didn't feel like cutting firewood out of a rock pile.
I dropped it 90 degrees from rock pile.
image.jpeg

Text book 2 cut face cut
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Using Proper wedge placement and 6lb Collins I was able to jack the tree and drop it 90 degrees from where nature intended it to go.
image.jpeg

For size reference, that is an MS 660 w 36" B&C.

:)

The leaning tree was as dangerous as it gets.
image.jpeg

The tree is completely cut off at the bottom. The only thing holding it up is the limb from the other tree snagged in the top of it.
image.jpeg

MS 440 w 25" B&C for size reference.

Been out of touch with major wood cutting and burning for a bit but slowly getting back into it. My brother cuts quite a few cords every year and heats with an outside wood furnace and a small inside wood stove. I don't think he has used propane for several years. Heats the water and pipes it in and his home furnace blows through the heated coil.

I am renovating the home we grew up in which has an old Vermont Castings Defiant from the 1970's. The biggest one they made and it puts out a ton of heat. We have learned from the close to 40 years of using this stove how to heat it up and at what temps to burn it to keep the pipe and stove at its cleanest and most efficient. The stove pipe goes straight up an out from the stove to the ridge of the roof which is about 24' up. I cleaned, straightened and painted all the pipe a few weeks ago. Cleaned the stove up as well. All gaskets were good except the griddle gasket which I replaced with a new one. Inspected the inside by putting the digital camera in it an zooming up the pipe. Easy way to inspect it. It was very clean!

So I am getting back into heating mainly with wood. Worked in it a lot growing up but I am pretty 'green' (pun intended) at the moment. Retired from an office job a year ago so getting the muscles and back slowly into shape again for this sort of thing. Remembering this old stove and its characteristics. All comes back to you. She has a thermostat on the back that you can set and she does very well at closing herself off when she gets too hot. We set it to where it stays about 300 degrees on the stove pipe about 3' above the top of the stove.

The last photo is taken from the third floor loft looking down at the stove. It heats up this entire addition quite well with the use of a high speed ceiling fan.

100_8654.JPG
100_8666.JPG
100_8674.JPG
100_8677.JPG
100_8690.JPG

Last edited:
We are also fortunate to have a fellow with a sawmill down the road. We have a good bit of lumber from the farm to use on the renovations and also some from the neighbors. He cut a big oak timber for me to use to support a corner of the house where I took out an exterior wall for a kitchen expansion.

We had a big cherry tree fall on the farm and my brother cut most of it up for use in his wood furnace. I guess it was about 3' in diameter at the trunk and about 20' long. We had all the trunk milled up and curing it at the moment. Not sure what we will use it for. Maybe floors.

Had some local cedar and I am using that for window frames and exterior trim. Basically what we don't cut up as firewood we try to put into milled lumber if suitable. We have a lot of ash that is dying or dead due to the emerald ash borer coming through and taking pretty much every standing tree around. Great burning wood.

100_7458.JPG
Post2.jpg
window.jpg
100_6422.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom