Soda Blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend recently bought a commercial soda blasting unit for stripping paint off military vehicles. I just had him blast my front clip and it turned out pretty well - at least now I can easily see what I need what needs work. In my opinion, the soda doesn't really do a very good job on rust. However a big restoration shop that does a lot of soda blasting told me that's what rust is left after soda blasting is solid, cleaner than it looks, and they epoxy prime right over it. I didn't have much rust on this so it won't take much additional effort to clean it up.

If anyone's interested in soda blasting let me know and I can put you in touch. He's mobile too. We're in east central Alabama.

Soda2.JPG

Soda1.JPG

Looks great. I need to do that with mine. Are you going to finish taking any left over rust off or prime over it? If he ever comes to south Ga. (Valdosta) let me know.

dude, that looks great. We have a mobile soda blaster right here in Burlington wi if anyone is interested.

I have heard that soda blasting will not harm the glass?

Yes, I am going to take care of the rust issues. Some are just a matter of a quick hit with a roloc abrasive pad and others I'm thinking about hitting with a cheapy blasting pot I've got using worn out glass beads and other cabinet media that I've accumulated. Either way there's not that much to deal with and that will put it all down to white metal.

As far as glass is concerned - soda has no impact at all on the glass or the rubber gaskets. It would take off any paint overspray, crud, etc but will not etch the glass or chew up the rubber like other abrasives.

My cousin was telling me about how they were going to get the equipment to do that at the shipyard where he works. That came out wicked clean.

exactly what is the advantage of soda blasting over typical sand (glass bead)sand blasting?

There is supposed to be no warpage. Its great for removing paint only as people have left in glass and seals.

> exactly what is the advantage of soda blasting
> over typical sand (glass bead)sand blasting?

Baking soda is harder than paint & flake rust, but softer than metal: no metal wearout / blast through.

Soda is water soluble: All residual blasting agent is removed with just a water rinse ( garden hose spray force).

And, for the 'greenies' : soda is environmentally friendly . . .

Soda blasting - before & after

Soda blast will not warp metal; will not damage glass, chrome or rubber parts. You will not experience flash rust problems either. You do need to wash off the residue before you start any body work or paint work. Use Holdtight 102 (www.holdtight.com) after blasting with ANY MEDIA. Do not use water only, soap and water or vinegar and water as an after wash!
Soda blast does not damage metal and therefore does not dig in and eat rust. This is a good thing as you can blast an entire vehicle without the risk of damage - actually seeing where the good metal/bad metal is.
Looking for a local contractor or more information on soda blast? Visit www.ChesapeakeSodaClean.com or call 410-271-2652.

can soda take off undercoating?

I have rear wheel fenders that have undercoating and rust problems. Can soda take off the existing undercoating ? Or should traditional sand blast take care of it?

Soda Blast & Undercoating

Removing undercoating with soda blast - Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. There are all kinds of undercoat out there and some is tough as nails. You just have to try it, but the nice thing is that soda blast is a cold process and no heat is generated and the coating will not get hot and just get pushed around. You can spend time on the metal without worry of warpage. I generally ask my customers to work on thick undercoat with a heat gun and putty knife to remove the thickness and then soda blast it. Hope that helps!

im blasting with aluminum oxide now and am scared that im inhaling a lot of it!!!!!!!

79FJ40moneypit.. I am looking for a soda blaster in CT as well - let me know if you find anyone.. i'll let you know the same.

I am in the Seattle area, after reading this thread. I searched for soda blasting, there is a local moblie guy. But at 175.00 a hr and 3 hr min. I am still looking. I have a bantam trailer I want blasted.

Just got off the phone with Chesapeake Soda Blasting and he was able to recommend these two companies in Connecticut.

I gotta run to class but I'm going to give them a call and see what their prices are etc. I'll report back in a day or two..

New England Surface Restoration
Bryan @ 860-761-5027

Kent Billings LLC
860-659-1104

Also asked the guy at Chesapeake how long it would take to do just the tub (he knew what an FJ40 was) and he said about 2-3 hours.

any experience with the eastwood soda blaster ?

:hmm:posted about this also in the tool tech forum:confused:
have been thinking about soda blasting old paint + light rust since I read this a while back;
looking at the eastwood soda blaster.....http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=1310 anyone have any experience with it to remove paint?.......the info from eastwood also states can be used with other "Media" and there is an "abrasive kit" that comes with the soda blaster......... :hmm: might be nice to soda blast paint then :idea:hit the rust with the "abrasive" kit.....it is pricey specially when factoring in the freight costs to Alabama; about 100$:eek:..............but the ability to soda and sand blast with the same system makes it very attractive to my inexpereinced eyes............TIA

Lou

A friend recently bought a commercial soda blasting unit for stripping paint off military vehicles. I just had him blast my front clip and it turned out pretty well - at least now I can easily see what I need what needs work. In my opinion, the soda doesn't really do a very good job on rust. However a big restoration shop that does a lot of soda blasting told me that's what rust is left after soda blasting is solid, cleaner than it looks, and they epoxy prime right over it. I didn't have much rust on this so it won't take much additional effort to clean it up.

If anyone's interested in soda blasting let me know and I can put you in touch. He's mobile too. We're in east central Alabama.

Soda2.JPG

Soda1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom