August Event - Volunteer w Maple Court Veterans Housing (Durham) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

You've been waiting for it, now we have it, this is our first volunteer opportunity.

August 28th
Maple Court Veterans Housing
207 Commons Blvd.
Durham, NC 27704

Maple Court is a transitional housing community for homeless veterans. The purpose of the facility is to provide secure, affordable housing with services for veterans who are transitioning from being homeless to self-sufficiency.

As of now the plan is to construct a raised bed for a community garden.
There are likely some additional projects we will be working on. I'm waiting on some details from the coordinator as to what they will have/we need to bring etc.
Here is a bit more info on Maple Court: Maple Court Veterans Transitional Housing Program

Let me know who is interested/available...target is 10-20 people...if there is a greater turnout - I'll see about coordinating a 2nd opportunity.

Thanks for setting this up Jared. I'm in.

We're in. Good Job!

If its for Vets i am in forsure. Anything i can do for fellow Vets i am all over.

Im in; what type of tools and materials will we be needing?

Not sure really. I've worked every weekend for the past 2 months. This weekend I managed to get off for our anniversary (3 weeks late).
I'm thinking i'll be working every weekend next month also. I will let everyone know the closer we get.

count me in.

I think I should be good to help out that weekend.

new guys in

This vet is in! I own a landscaping company so I have a lot of hand tools, shovels, rakes, wheel barrows etc if needed. I also have a dump trailer if wee need to haul dirt or debris away.

This will be my first event and Im looking forward to meeting fellow members and helping fellow vets.

Its on the calender!

In.

:beer: R

Hey Guys
Glad to see all the response! We should have done this a long time ago - seems there was a slacker in the club.

Anyway, I'll have more info on tools/supplies we need to bring later this week. Been a bit busy getting the last of everything packed up.

Spoke w Joy (Program Director)
They'd like for us to:
Build an above ground garden box
Fill garden box with dirt, plant items if not too hot
Build night stands/boxes or cubes out of any workable material for 15 residents who have zero or little regular income
Hose down breeze ways

Unfortunately they do not really have any tools/lumber/supplies.
So - who can bring what?
We might be able to get some $ for lumber from them...might have to be a reimbursement, or someone swing by the facility and make a trip to lowes before the event.

let me know

What size boxes are we talking about? I can bring my dump trailer and load it with dirt. I can hall 3 or 4 yards myabe more. Do any of you local guys know where to we can get bulk top soil? I also dont't mind paying for it since I can use it as a business expense.

I will bring wheel barrows, a few shovels, rakes, back blowers to clean up mess. I can bring hoses if we need to clean breaze way.

What kind of plants? I can get stuff wholesell.

Just let me know what is needed. Looking forward to this event.

something like this maybe ?
http://www.minwax.com/projects/pdfs/1993_Bedside_Table.pdf

they wouldn't be real fancy, but we could make about 4 tables for every sheet of 3/4" plywood we get.

i got a small table saw and a compound miter saw i can bring. small nail gun and a compressor to run it. i don't have any fancy dado blades, nor do i claim to be able to cut anything straight.

i can bring a framming nailer for the garden box.

Last edited:
Custyota - sounds like you have the hook up!
Not sure how large it is...we'll find out.

Eric - I think that design is more than sufficient. 3/4" plywood should do the trick (would be nice to paint the top surface - I have a some extra paint that would probably suffice).

Not sure if I've got a 3/4 inch router bit. But it wouldn't be too much. I'm the same: table saw, sanders, router, brad gun and pins/staples, chop saw.

I'm not even going to say what landscaping tools I've got, seems we have a few pro's in the club!

Just let me know

What time are we starting work? I might just come up friday night since it is a 3 hour drive from Have not. R there any hotels in the area? This is going to be fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom