tires on my fj cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright so my search has come to a halt on the tires search. I can't find a decent tire in the $150 price range/tire the size is a 265/70/17. I found some goodyear wranglers at sams club which are exclusive to sams but their side wall was very thin.

Any suggestions, I want an all terrain type tire! Merchants tire had an offbrand tire made by a major company which I couldnt remember but they were called stampede? anyone run these?
Thanks
Spence

Spence, this is something I would really consider crucial to the cruiser. If you really intend on wheeling the FJC on even mild to moderate trails I wouldn't persay skimp and the tires. Go ahead and get a good quality tire and get what you really want on the truck, sure you might have to spend a little extra but i think in the end you will be much happier and the quality will be there. Unless you are stuck on a new set of tires, kee an eye on the for sale threads, quite often there are some pretty good deals on there.

I would add to this that going with a "pizza cutter" tire is the way to go. My last set of tires were the SS TrXus MT's in 255/85/16's or 33 X 10.5 (got from discount for under $150 each), yes, the are a pain to balance, soft but work great off-road. I drove them over 8300 miles this summer and 5500 miles last summer on road trips w/o issue. I know that others have gone with 255/75/17 but there aren't many options in either case. I do know that the new BFG KM2's have been released in a some new sizes and are a great option though more $$$ than your rice range.

I agree with everyone else. The tires are one of the most important "upgrades" you're gonna do. Get a good tire (BFG, Nitto, Toyo). They're probably gonna last longer and are going to perform better.

And as mtbcoach said, go with a pizza-cutter. Right now I'm running 35x12.5 monsters, but next time I'll be going with something less wide.

Spence, the trxus and the price MTBcoach listed is hard to beat. Its a tough tire but rides much quieter than other MT's. A little cheaper, look at the dunlop Radial mud rover perhaps.

edit: saw you said AT's look at the cooper STT (a toyo knock off pattern) or the nitto terra grapler as mentioned

I've always liked the look of the Cooper STT's. That was the brand I was going to with.... Merchant's Tires carries them, and they're USUALLY good about prices...

Just gonna give a quick "plug" for Taylor Discount Tires in Greensboro. I've bought about 5 sets of tires from them (mostly Swampers, but also some A/T's for the wife's Rav4 and H/T's for the Honda) and they ALWAYS beat everybody else on price, usually by a good margin. Definitely been worth the drive from Durham for me, every time. Ask for Scott and tell him I sent you.

can't say enough good things about that shop

Just gonna give a quick "plug" for Taylor Discount Tires in Greensboro. I've bought about 5 sets of tires from them (mostly Swampers, but also some A/T's for the wife's Rav4 and H/T's for the Honda) and they ALWAYS beat everybody else on price, usually by a good margin. Definitely been worth the drive from Durham for me, every time. Ask for Scott and tell him I sent you.

Scott is great! No need to shop anywhere else. He has done me right many times as well as my friends. Can't touch his prices! :wrench:

Last edited:

I have had the same results from the Cary Discount Tire, talking to Joey, the manager. He has beaten all the prices I've given him and also helped with a warranty issue with a set of SS tires I bought from him. Just picked up another set from him today for my daughter's FJ-40. He is a good guy to deal with...

Thanks alot guys! Mtbcoach you have a pm. I have some questions for you first.
Who carries the Nitto terra grapplers?

Spence

Thanks alot guys! Mtbcoach you have a pm. I have some questions for you first.
Who carries the Nitto terra grapplers?

Spence

Got it and back at you. Start with your local Discount Tires and see what they have to offer. As I stated above, they have been very price competitive for me and replaced tires that I damaged off-roading under their warranty...

alright so my search has come to a halt on the tires search. I can't find a decent tire in the $150 price range/tire the size is a 265/70/17. I found some goodyear wranglers at sams club which are exclusive to sams but their side wall was very thin.

Any suggestions, I want an all terrain type tire! Merchants tire had an offbrand tire made by a major company which I couldnt remember but they were called stampede? anyone run these?
Thanks
Spence

Sent u a pm and a email with some info. Get back to me when u get a chance.

I got my Nitto AT's at the Discount Tire on Harrison in Cary - as mentioned, that's a great shop and they will work on price. I've been extremely pleased with my NTG's, although they are getting a little chewed up (not bad though) - these are great all-terrain tires at a great price. I paid less than $150/ea for 4 285/75R16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom