CT90 rectifier upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a good wrenching weekend on the 90.

Started with the rectifier.

Took the old vintage 70's one out, took it apart and replaced it with the Radio Shack 25A, 50V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier

I bent the spade tabs so it would fit on the original mount. I wanted it solid. At first I used two of the original heat sinks. The original "bumper" fit over the whole unit like it did when it was stock. I liked it the way it was, but with some peer pressure from some "friends" :flipoff2: I decided to do a little improving.

These are pics of version 1

PICT0015-4.jpg

PICT0014-5.jpg

PICT0013-5.jpg

PICT0012-5.jpg

I don't know how hot these things get, it might not even get hot at all. I figured since the original had the heat sink, I wanted to have something to dissipate any heat.

When I was at Radio Shack looking at electrical connectors for another project, I happened to see one of these. Heat sink

For $2.00 how can I go wrong? Even if I destroy it by trying to make it work I wouldn't be out much.

pRS1C-2265178w345.jpg

I went at it with a drill, then finished up with a dremel and ended up with something I could live with.

PICT0017-5.jpg

PICT0018-5.jpg

PICT0019-4.jpg

PICT0020-4.jpg

PICT0021-4.jpg

PICT0022-4.jpg

PICT0023-4.jpg

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. I kept the original mounting bracket, which was important to me. I gained a bit of room by using the radio shack heat sink over using the original heat sink. It's solid and out of the way.

I looked back and saw I left one bit of info out. When I took apart the old rectifier, there were "spacers" between the heat sink/wires. I had to use one spacer to get the clearance between the terminals and the bracket.

rectifier.jpg

Nice work there, Val. Your small sparkplug writeups are becoming legend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom