Box Canyon tomorrow - last-minute run.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've influenced a couple buddies of mine to get some offroad vehicles and they've both very recently purchased GX470's (one Friday evening I was helping out with). We've all three decided Box Canyon to be our inaugural run together. None of us have ever been before, it reads like it's a pretty good shakedown run for these two and my 3FE should be just fine.

Do you all enter from the north off of the 60 or off of the 79? This site suggests entering off the 60 via N. Mineral Mountain Road - just wanted to check if that's the preferred way in or shoot down the 79 and come in from there.

I know it's last-minute, anyone need something to do tomorrow we're meeting at the 79/US60 turnout at 7:30 am tomorrow. There'll be a couple of smaller kids with us (my oldest and a friend's as well), just FYI.

thx all...

so what off road vehicles did they get?

So I've influenced a couple buddies of mine to get some offroad vehicles and they've both very recently purchased GX470's (one Friday evening I was helping out with). We've all three decided Box Canyon to be our inaugural run together. None of us have ever been before, it reads like it's a pretty good shakedown run for these two and my 3FE should be just fine.

Do you all enter from the north off of the 60 or off of the 79? This site suggests entering off the 60 via N. Mineral Mountain Road - just wanted to check if that's the preferred way in or shoot down the 79 and come in from there.

I know it's last-minute, anyone need something to do tomorrow we're meeting at the 79/US60 turnout at 7:30 am tomorrow. There'll be a couple of smaller kids with us (my oldest and a friend's as well), just FYI.

thx all...

Box Canyon will be much easier to find going in off 79 if its your first time. The 'step' on the way out may be a little challenge for the GX's. There are a couple of ways to bypass the step but I cant tell you in type how.

Have fun and take pictures

Much appreciated - 79 it is.

One of the GX's has a 2.5" lift with a decent suspension setup. I've seen the high pass online to avoid the step for GX #2 which is stock. Thx!

Much appreciated - 79 it is.

One of the GX's has a 2.5" lift with a decent suspension setup. I've seen the high pass online to avoid the step for GX #2 which is stock. Thx!

Trail report? :hmm:

What a day!!!

Came in from the south side off the 79/Price Road entrance. Nice start, pretty morning, had my oldest with me and she was jazzed for a ride in the truck with dad. Promises from my buddies to also bring their kids fell through so mine was the only shorty (not a gripe) - she was a trooper all day long.

When we actually hit Box Canyon, it was clear quickly that my buddy's stock ride was going to be challenged with some clearance issues. He's also still got his running boards installed so he/we were quickly faced with a decision given the fact that turning around isn't part of the game (esp. when there were a few lining up behind us) so: scrape up his literally brand new wheels or just begin the process of tearing those running boards up - the running boards lost out quickly.

Getting deeper into the canyon was awesome. My 80 was clearly the best prepared for anything we were going to see with the two GX's in different states of prep performing as expected (purely a matter of lifts, suspension and tires).

DSCF0249.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

Last edited:
Basically, coming up from the south, and recognizing all three of us wouldn't get over the Step (mine for sure, stocker no way we were going to try that, in-between gx rig which does have a 2.5" lift we just didn't have any experience with and it was just purchased two days prior), we wanted to take the High Road since this was essentially a first run for these guys and I don't claim to be a seasoned veteran. In short, one of the GX's got stuck climbing up and pretty much high-centered the right edge of a pretty steep climb. He was dug in and we had ourselves a bonafide situation to deal with.

He wasn't in a position to actually get out of his vehicle and from his seat, this was a very uncomfortable spot to be in. I tried anchoring my truck up at the top of the road he was climbing (hoping to act as a "dead man") and connected my winch to his drivers-side slider. Pulling definitely started showing some potential but we eventually gave up after a minute or two when it was obvious this wasn't going to work (he was getting dug in deeper with his passenger-side wheels, both of which were off the road and increasing the predicament he was in).

Next step, time to try reversing down. Took some talking to get us both convinced it was the right thing to do but got the truck worked backwards and rotating to a position where he was actually again able to get some traction. A few very large sheared palo verde branches were unfortunately part of the working solution. Anyway, we got it backed back onto the road, reversed further downhill with a shot at once-again heading back up. I stood further up and pointed out the line and the exact spot to turn sharply in so both wheels caught separate rock formations giving equal clearance and voila - he was up. All told, it was a 45-minute ordeal that I suppose amounts to an official cherry being popped for all three of us (my apologies for the potentially crass metaphor).

The rest of the trip was slow-going. There were several spots where the lower clearance of the other two was essentially just something we had to slowly account for. No big deal, just added to the duration of the day. The GX's proved to be very capable but would both benefit from some more offroading setup.

I was damn happy with my 80. I intentionally was playing out with the larger steps/boulders I could find along the way and nary a problem with her. I'll do the Step next time I'm out (I'll definitely go back).

Saw a couple of rattlesnakes on the way out. Got some pics......

LONG DAY - About a 12-hour day by the time I was back home. Great time spent with two of my best friends and and my oldest. We're already starting to plan some camping trips.

More pics coming....enough typing!

Last edited:
More pics...

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

and a few more....rattler #1 ~2.5' long, rattler #2 at least 3', noticeably larger girth (girth units anyone??....brian regan joke)

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

A few from my buddy's camera (a wee-bit nicer than my aging POS Android phone.....)

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0279.jpg

DSCF0284.jpg

Enough already! :)

This is actually the spot where the running boards had to start taking some abuse.

IMG_5975.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom