3rd link ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to figure out which mounting of the 3rd link and panhard would work best and why? Redlines represent the lower link placement and the yellow the 3rd link and panhard. We can go either way but for driveshaft clearance I think we need to keep the panhard/axle attatchment on the passenger side.

panhard1.jpg

panhard2.jpg

If you run the third link on the DS you can end up with driveshaft bind issues.

I decided on running mine on the DS due to the driveline and other issues but what it boils down do is how the whole rig works like as a whole. You need to account for the system as a whole rather than articulation itself?

Correct me if I'm wrong Mace, but isn't the binding caused by the axle wanting to roll forward under load and having the 3rd link on the same side as the pumpkin lessens the effect of that tendency

This is the cleanest setup I have seen

I'm sure you have seen it also but I thought it may be helpfull

attachment.php

attachment.php

mine is on the passanger side and I scored a 1000 on the rti ramp at rausch creek today !no bind and I did most of the red trails and some black

I also wouldnt trust that link welded to that cast spring perch either

I have other picsof the arms if you want .I think there are pics of my build too.
raush creek 11-8-08046.JPG

Correct me if I'm wrong Mace, but isn't the binding caused by the axle wanting to roll forward under load and having the 3rd link on the same side as the pumpkin lessens the effect of that tendency

Yeppers

If you have a DS drop axle it is best to put the third link on the DS.

Decided to just do a 4 link with a panhard. Top links will be almost straight so the panhard shouldn't bind (hopefully). If it does we'll fix it.:D

These are without the uppers mounted up. We decided to do the 4 link because we just cannot get the links close to the center of the axle housing.

PB300003.jpg

PB300002.jpg

Last edited:
staight 4 link with a panhard can bind easily during articulation...

3 link or triangulated 4 link is better...

edited for pics.

hope you can see this is how I did 3 link and panhard
crusier 3 link 002.jpg
crusier 3 link 001.jpg

Well here's what we're going to go with. More of a 5 link or a 4 link with panhard. Don't have the panhard on yet though, waiting for heims.

100_0845.jpg

The links have around 8" of seperation at the axle end and about 6 1/2" at the frame.

100_0846.jpg

100_0848.jpg

You can see that the top and bottom links are directly in line to reduce or eliminate binding.

100_0853.jpg

100_0858.jpg

Got alot of boxing in to do and trying to figure out where the shocks are going to mount.

I would box in those frame side uppers

Yes sir, lot of boxing in to do. I like doing that. That way I get to do something other than stand there and hold things and sweep the floor. I keep thinking its like the Karate Kid thing and I'll magically learn what the heck is going on. No luck yet though.:grinpimp:

something to keep in mind is that as the axle articulates it needs to be able to rotate outward some .I do alot of truck racing and guys that have a similar setup cant get much flex untill they remove one of the uppers.

Yea, that is one of the concerns. The links being in line should help with it.

It is not the side to side movement that is the issue, it is the rotation of the axle housing during articulation that will cause binding.

I bet, you remove one upper link..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom