Notched 60 front axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Show me your notched/not notched,60 series front axles with spring over without outboarding on a 40. There have been several threads about this, but not a ton of pics. I'm going this route for several reasons and am curious about how others have gone about it.

Hey zcruz I have what I think to be a perfect solution. Dave Gore makes an extender sleeve machined from 1/2" wall DOM to extend an fj60 land cruiser axle housing about 2 3/4"on the short side, Longfield makes a custom length 30 spline super axleshaft for the short side. Now you can put your perch where it belongs on soa w/ a fj60 front housing. (no knotching) Yields about 5 1/2" wider housing than a fj40.
You can also use your fj40 housing and do this to both sides and use a stock length fj60 super axleshaft for the long side.
This is not my idea, its Dave Gores creation and I think its awesome!!

:grinpimp::grinpimp:
jpg.gif
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

31630002.JPG
31580001.JPG
31710005.JPG

Last edited:
fab up truss for top of housing. gonna remove the factory truss on the bottom when i'm done welding. Its a fj62 housing
Its at the sand blaster now I put up some more pics as I go:beer:
jpg.gif

32290034.JPG

LOL

I had a set of those made back in about 2000..

Why is it funny? Didnt they work well? I see no down side of this mod, as long as you want wider axles. That was my goal as I already have a perfectly good cut and turned 40 front housing but I want to get rid of the 1 1/2" spacers now it will end up 1 1/4" wider on each side than I have now. Perfect for my setup! :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I never got around to actually using them...

I sold off the adapters to someone later..

It is an excellent idea.

Wow! That was fast! And a much better idea than notching. plus I was planning on using the 1.5" wheel spacers with the 60 axle, and with the sleeve I wont have to run any. I'll take two, where did you say you got those?

I'll check w/ Dave and see if he has some and/ or get his permission to post his contact info.:)

what are you doing in the rear ?

I've already got an 80 rear. It's wide! I'm running a 70 front but its too narrow and I'm planning on running 39's so I need the right front axle to build and put money into. The 70 has the 8" high pinion and it hits my exhaust on full stuff. Not much room to move the exhaust. I'm going to long, lock, cut and turn the 60 anyways so the sleve will be just one more weld in my process.

I've already got an 80 rear. It's wide! I'm running a 70 front but its too narrow and I'm planning on running 39's so I need the right front axle to build and put money into. The 70 has the 8" high pinion and it hits my exhaust on full stuff. Not much room to move the exhaust. I'm going to long, lock, cut and turn the 60 anyways so the sleve will be just one more weld in my process.

Exactly, and you do not have to outboard the springs or notch the housing..

I like it...need to find a 60 housing myself now ;) (and get a sleeve!)

Dave is lcwizard you can pm him or his shop # is 928-473-8225 (I'm sure he wont mind he's posted his # before)

Dave is the guy that designs and manufactures all the awesome 4-plus products that Man-a-fre sells.

anybody remember how much the sleeve costs?

SWEET, This is exactly what i wanted to do to mine!, the only thing holding me back was the need for an custom shaft, and the Tube Adapter!

So how much wider is that tube? Looks like 3", So about a 61" WTW?? sounds perfect to me!

SWEET, This is exactly what i wanted to do to mine!, the only thing holding me back was the need for an custom shaft, and the Tube Adapter!

So how much wider is that tube? Looks like 3", So about a 61" WTW?? sounds perfect to me!
It is sweet! As mentioned in this thread it is 2 3/4" long. Same length as the difference in a fj40 vs. an fj60 housing.:bounce2:

fab up truss for top of housing. gonna remove the factory truss on the bottom when i'm done welding. Its a fj62 housing
Its at the sand blaster now I put up some more pics as I go:beer:
jpg.gif

Perfect Job :wrench:! congratulation :cheers:, but i think y more strong the 80 series housing, enjoy your new front axle :steer:, :beer::cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom