3f in 1974 fj-40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if a 3fe, auto tranny and t/c from a fj-62 can be installed into a '74 fj-40? How much longer is this drivetrain than '74 setup and what about motor/tran mounts? If anyone can help I would appreciate it!!!

R.N.

Sure, it can be done. The A440F is about 1' longer than the 4 spd tranny. The TC is also a bit thicker so you will end up with a very short RR shaft but an almost normal FT shaft; perhaps a bit longer but not much. This will be a VERY involved conversion. You will need a pressurised tank with pump and a way to mount the ECU and wire it among a slew of other things. Personally, I see no need for EFI on my rock trucks but if you really want it go for the holley pro jection 500 and step it down to the 300 cfm that you need. Much easier and cheaper.
If you want an auto tranny go to AA and see waht the best deal is on adaptors for US made trannys. The A440F is a great tranny but expensive and rare. Try to stick with a TOY split case.

I was under the impression the A440F was significantly longer than a manual transmission. I would double check that before trying. Even a H55F with a split case is long leaving a short shaft (I think mine is 12").

Why would you ever want to do this.....?

I own a FJ62 and like the power train. Still feels like a truck from that time period. Possible might do this myself but to a FJ45LP-B where length will not be a issue. Another problem not mentioned is you loose the hand brake with this setup. Adding the disc hand brake option will shorten a already too short rear drive line. I will go post 8/80 rear axle to solve this.

I'm not sure with the tranny but if you were willing to keep the H42 why not just make a 2FE if of course you already have the 2F in there. Throw the head, intake, and use the wiring harness and distributor from the 3fe and slap it onto the 2F and call it done.

Search for 'my boy blue', a fellow Mudder threw a 3F-E into his 40. Unsure trans though.

most of the threads that i have read have stated that a 2f bell housing will bolt up to a 3fe.. so you can keep a h41 or h42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom