supercharged 1FZ-FE or 2UZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys i am new to this forum, I need help in making up my mind to swap my engine in lc80, i will be using this truck for desert rallies, and i need help in choosing the right engine. Thanks in advance....

I mean I have an option to by 1FZ FE with kazoma trd super charger or 2UZ FE stock, which one should I go for ?:bang:

A supercharged 1fz will make alot more power and torque than a stock 2uz and without the conversion hassles. It would probably be much cheaper too.
Durability wise there is not alot of difference between the two engines.

A supercharged 1fz will make alot more power and torque than a stock 2uz and without the conversion hassles. It would probably be much cheaper too.
Durability wise there is not alot of difference between the two engines.

ok i heard 1FZ FE is more reliable then 2UZ, as 2UZ has more electronics involve...i may be wrong...

Thread digger :)

I think all the points above are still valid. Cost being a big one for most folks. And then there's the starter ha

Something that may or may not be a talking point for you is that theoretically the supercharged 1FZ is something a dealership could work on, where I bet you get stinkeye if you try to bring same truck 2UZ'ed in for much over an oil change.

Something that may or may not be a talking point for you is that theoretically the supercharged 1FZ is something a dealership could work on, where I bet you get stinkeye if you try to bring same truck 2UZ'ed in for much over an oil change.
People actually take their trucks to the dealer to be worked on??

turbo it!!!!!

People actually take their trucks to the dealer to be worked on??
Just saying you **could** - like how if you have a full e-locker system without any homebrew parts the stealership **could** work on that system.

That said, some of the better mechanics wouldn't bat an eye if the motor conversion was done clean & clear.

Not saying "smart money", but if out on a road trip & something pukes, you need to keep options open.

I have the 2UZ in my 97, and I am very happy with the performance. Stock 2UZ motor, rev's higher than the 1FZ while still making more power throughout the range, great for desert driving, and the TRD SC is known as a reliable accessory, so I wouldn't hesitate to go either direction. No problem with dealer support on the 2UZ, if the install is done with stock parts. Biggest "if" is quality of the install. Slee did mine and he stands behind it. I would want to know who did the install before buying the 2UZ.

My extensive dealer support network consists of CDan, beno, and powderpig.

The triplet "bruthas from anotha mutha" to Mr. T.

Who could ask for more?

Have compiled info on modified 1FZs, 1UZs, and 2UZs, as preliminary measure for the discussed "build" which isn't an 80 (1k less GVW) but close enough to discuss here and it'll postpone charges of heresy, elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm in it for the thrill of the build and make no bones about it. :flipoff2:

I have no complaints about the 1FZ in my 80, from any perspective, and it's doing a perfectly fine job pushing a fat ass with huge shoes, even at the occasional +85mph, and she'll remain there.

That said, the best driving Toyota I've ever owned was a '04 GX that rocked, so much so I regret trading for an '11 with the 3UR, that does not rock. (Although, my wife smokes my ass when we line up her 460 and my 450....and I'm really trying.)

Who doesn't love a V8 and who wouldn't love replying to the common question

"350 SBC?"

With,

"Nope. 300 SBT."

Having spent time on Lextreme and a few NZ sites, I've actually began daydream about lining up with that punk ass kid in everyone's neighborhood with a hopped up, straight pipe tuner, that can't accelerate from any full stop in the county without punching it....Borla's setting off every alarm within a mile radius.

I'm sitting at the light in my beater, as he pulls up, then he taunts, lurching forward, almost saying "whatcha gonna do about it, old man?"

I look over and can catch a glimpse of the pimpled faced s***head, still wearing his Taco Bell uniform with a mug that couldn't get laid in a whorehouse madame'd by Anne Sullivan with $2k and a bottle of Cristal.

Traffic from the intersecting lanes stops, signaling us both that the time is, near.....hearts thumping....ready to punch it, then...at the drop of the green light, like a clap of thunder in a clear sky, it's on....all four of my tires (dream) smoking, hunting for traction and when firm footing is found, it propels like a .22 from a rifle, well past the sounds of backfiring and gurgling from the Borla's as I smoke his ass by a country mile, with a 0-60 ET of 22.5 seconds.

(You think that's bad?

When I REALLY dream, it makes E.L. James look like a ninety year old nun.)

Real tech, next box.

Anyhow....

After a year long, fruitless search for parts, I'm merely contemplating options for a "build" that's not an 80, but close enough to discuss here, as it would have many other components from. Not sold on this for that build, but I'm preparing for, regardless......and still hunting a true poverty pack 80 body and interior from Oz, anyway.

Not a wheeler, not a DD'er, just a cool Cruiser.

Was thinking H150/HF1A, but haven't ruled out auto, be it PT or AWD, the determining factor for AWD being driveline angles from TC to hybrid 60/80 front axle (9.5" LP e locked diff), since driveline length may not be a concern.

My son can't walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time (the apple falleth not fareth from the tree) and to minimize scrutiny, this will be for him. ;)

TRD SC, if one for the 2UZ could be sourced, in TRD form. The lessened GVW shouldn't require an inter-cooler and lack of EGR/cats should allow for cooler engine bay temps...I think. No emissions here, plus it's over the age for most states.

Haven't given up on the 1UZ, but it's looking less likely, since it seems it'd take quite a bit to bump the HP to a level enough to replace the torque the other options are capable of.

If 1FZ, would probably source a donor 80 and use most everything off of, maybe down to the frame, floorplan, so on.

If 2UZ, unclear, but know there are ECU options, so not as critical, nor would many other components be used.

So, for S&Gs, let's consider a power plant option for an 80 rolling chassis that, at this point, all that's certain is the front axle will modify to a 9.5" elocked hybrid that, in final form, will be merely a cool Cruiser to drive, regardless the body.....thrill of the build.

You can do that with a turbo 1FZ Delancy. ;) No need for a 289 SBT ;) Takes less to increase power on 1FZ than 2UZ, on a 2UZ you really should do the rods.

Although I did race mustangs and camaros in my 55. haha.

3UZ is ok, but they went to thinner rods vs the early 1UZ and since the stroke is the same and the bore spacing is the same, the inner wall clearance is thinner, also has a thinner cylinder liners. Fine at stock power levels but all things that aren't good if you are going to add some extra power.

Why not a 3uz?

VVTI scares me.....

You can do that with a turbo 1FZ Delancy. ;)

Don't recall a Toyota turbo being offered....

No need for a 289 SBT ;)

Can you define "need" please?

Takes less to increase power on 1FZ than 2UZ, on a 2UZ you really should do the rods.

That's the way I understand it, too, on the 1FZ HP gains.

From what I've read, 1UZ rods are a direct swap and bulletproof.

Although I did race mustangs and camaros in my 55. haha.

I already blame you....

3UZ is ok, but they went to thinner rods vs the early 1UZ and since the stroke is the same and the bore spacing is the same, the inner wall clearance is thinner, also has a thinner cylinder liners. Fine at stock power levels but all things that aren't good if you are going to add some extra power.

1UZ rods interchange.

I don't disagree. For that matter, it's quintessential, but no Chebby's for me, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom