2016 URJ200 SERIES LAND CRUISER/LX570 UPDATE-REFRESH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope Toyota is watching the market becasue there are some major changes happening to large SUVs. Companies are moving to the use of aluminum and spaceframes to save weight. Range Rover, Mercedes, Audi. Then there is the "introduction" of diesel engines in the US.
I'm not saying that this is the direction Toyota needs to take the Land Cruiser but if they do not AT LEAST come to market with a diesel I'll have to look elsewhere. Selling so few Land Cruisers I don't see how Toyota can justify selling them here. There must be Toyota execs who like them for themselves.

We're awaiting the delivery of a Mercedes GL350 diesel. There was one simple reason. Diesel's 30 mpg on the highway (and the monster torque). The interior is beautiful too. The price difference was about 10K more than the 2013 or 2014 land cruiser and the residual on the diesel is awesome.
I don't anticipate the reliability of the Land Cruisers BUT I also won't keep it past 5 years unlike all my Land Cruisers of the past. I'm also not selling mine just moving them around the family.
I've kept the 1999 like new and just refurbished the suspension with new bushings, shocks and tires. My brother needs to "borrow it" for a year.
I'll take the 2011 LC for myself now. Let the fun begin!

Land Cruiser = under the radar luxury and unmatched off road rugidness & reliability
LX = Look at me and my chrome, I just dropped 100K and it's reliable too
GL350= I'd like to follow the Land Cruiser off road but I don't want to get dirty

Residuals are better on the GL diesel ? Here in Cleveland there are several examples of low mileage 2011s at dealers for less than $25k. The cheapest 200 series LC, a 2008 with 70k miles, is still $45 k. That's pretty rock solid.

Didn't say that residual of the GL350 was better than the Land Cruiser but it's good compared to most SUVs.
Land cruiser has the best residual but I just couldn't convince the wife on a 2013 or 14 land cruiser. We even had a beautiful white one picked out.
In the end of the day the wife made the decision on this one and I get the 11 LC as my primary vehicle to replace the 99. Not a terrible deal.
We still have 2 LCs so no one can say I'm not loyal. Just tasting a little German temporarily.
We'll see if the wife gets tires of visiting the mercedes dealer for repairs. She hasn't been to the toyoya dealer in 10 years!!

Seems to me like something has to give eventually. Across the board MPG standards are putting pressure on vehicles like the LC and LX. 8 speed tranny and Diesel engine could be the cure to help bring up the bottom for Toyota and to me sounds like on hell of a truck. Americans are finally starting to accept diets so we can hope it's coming in the redesign.

I lost about 1&1/2 miles per gallon fuel efficiency when I changed up to a larger 285/65 tire. But then at 23-24 miles per gallon and about 1 & 1/2 times the torque of a 5.8 ltr V8 gas engine I think I can live with the loss.

IMHO the clean emmissions argument for gasoline over diesel is a total crock when you consider (1) how much improved are modern diesels re emissions and (2) how much more gasoline you need to burn to get the same distance over the ground.

Then again with all that shale gas you dudes are fracking up there I expect you'll all be driving LPG/Electric hybrid 300s before you'll get the pleasure of a diesel. Word is however that a Tundra diesel is in the works so who knows. A V8 turbo diesel pumping out 630 lb ft of torque would be a huge hit I'd guess.

I'm from Australia and the majority of 4WDs and SUVs sold are diesel, we're talking 80% of sales or a bit higher

I've been looking at a Porsche Cayenne S for a daily driver. In the last redesign of the Cayenne they were able to drop 400+ pounds due to the use of aluminum, keep the cost the same, add mileage (8speed tranny helped) and performance. It will be interesting to see if Toyota does the same. And if they incorporate Hybrid drive like they have said in several press releases they will have a vehicle worth replacing my 100 for. I may even sell the 4Runner if I need to come up with the proverbial $100k.

I'm in line for a Land cruiser twin turbo diesel. I know the mercedes GL 350 won't be a vehicle I will want to keep for ten years so hopefully by 2018 there's a diesel here so I can add one to the stable. I am sold on the clean turbo diesel technology for a large SUV.

I lost about 1&1/2 miles per gallon fuel efficiency when I changed up to a larger 285/65 tire. But then at 23-24 miles per gallon and about 1 & 1/2 times the torque of a 5.8 ltr V8 gas engine I think I can live with the loss.

IMHO the clean emmissions argument for gasoline over diesel is a total crock when you consider (1) how much improved are modern diesels re emissions and (2) how much more gasoline you need to burn to get the same distance over the ground.

Then again with all that shale gas you dudes are fracking up there I expect you'll all be driving LPG/Electric hybrid 300s before you'll get the pleasure of a diesel. Word is however that a Tundra diesel is in the works so who knows. A V8 turbo diesel pumping out 630 lb ft of torque would be a huge hit I'd guess.

Pretty drastic, did you adjust for the new tire diameter? Larger tire/fewer revolutions etc.?

I just bought a 200 which means the 300 will come out next week. That my friends is a scientific fact!

~ Carl

I hope Toyota is watching the market becasue there are some major changes happening to large SUVs. Companies are moving to the use of aluminum and spaceframes to save weight. Range Rover, Mercedes, Audi. Then there is the "introduction" of diesel engines in the US.
I'm not saying that this is the direction Toyota needs to take the Land Cruiser but if they do not AT LEAST come to market with a diesel I'll have to look elsewhere. Selling so few Land Cruisers I don't see how Toyota can justify selling them here. There must be Toyota execs who like them for themselves.

We're awaiting the delivery of a Mercedes GL350 diesel. There was one simple reason. Diesel's 30 mpg on the highway (and the monster torque). The interior is beautiful too. The price difference was about 10K more than the 2013 or 2014 land cruiser and the residual on the diesel is awesome.
I don't anticipate the reliability of the Land Cruisers BUT I also won't keep it past 5 years unlike all my Land Cruisers of the past. I'm also not selling mine just moving them around the family.
I've kept the 1999 like new and just refurbished the suspension with new bushings, shocks and tires. My brother needs to "borrow it" for a year.
I'll take the 2011 LC for myself now. Let the fun begin!

Land Cruiser = under the radar luxury and unmatched off road rugidness & reliability
LX = Look at me and my chrome, I just dropped 100K and it's reliable too
GL350= I'd like to follow the Land Cruiser off road but I don't want to get dirty

GL350 is intriguing, only concern the suspension I would extend the warranty for the length of ownership. I've owned a few MB but all under warranty and the maintenance was still expensive. CL550, SL550 and CLS63. But you know this so enjoy.

I've been looking at a Porsche Cayenne S for a daily driver. In the last redesign of the Cayenne they were able to drop 400+ pounds due to the use of aluminum, keep the cost the same, add mileage (8speed tranny helped) and performance. It will be interesting to see if Toyota does the same. And if they incorporate Hybrid drive like they have said in several press releases they will have a vehicle worth replacing my 100 for. I may even sell the 4Runner if I need to come up with the proverbial $100k.

I hate all the complexity, been there done that. I just would love to see a 200 series with air, stereo, and auto transmission, with a heavy duty leather interior. Don't want all the high tech crap. Understand the need for ABS, VSC, ETC.

Redesign of the Toyota Landcruiser for 2018

If we go by the last few generations, we should see the next iteration in 2018.
If the trend continues to follow what is popular in Japan, the full size Landcruiser
will stay on the path of VIP and not off road.

What needs to happen for all of us in the offroad market is the importation of the modern 70 Series. It fills the needs of having the rugged utilitarian features, straight front axle, optional diesel, and body selections in 2 or 4 door, Troopy, or Pickup variations. This way there are Cruisers for each interest group and at different price points based on the options you need.

I can also say that if they imported the GXR version of the 200 with the twin turbo diesel and less convenience electronics, it would be a hot seller for sure. Our overseas customers are seeing fuel economy around 25mpg and purchase prices far less than what we pay in the USA. In addition is all the high tech options that are nice at the time of purchase, but prove to be a severe hinderance as the vehicle gets older. We see this with the loaded LC100/LX470 as it takes a large investment of time and money to upgrade out of the period dated technology such as the integrated climate control, NAV, and audio being combined. It is a serious job to remove all of these dated electronics, and it ends up making the base Cruisers that came with the standard radio and 3 knob climate control actually more valuable than the loaded NAV versions. Future proofing the owner isn't a positive route to go.

I'm pretty sure the lower sales numbers of Cruisers in the USA can be attributed not only to overall cost, but also to the lack of choice for the customer. To get the features and price point you need or want, dictates you move to a different vehicle platform altogether. This is why so many previous Landcruiser loyal owners now own vehicles from other manufacturers, or simply never replace their current Cruiser with a newer one.

Last edited:
But does Toyota really need another SUV for the US market? 4Runner, Sequoia, Rav4, FJ Cruiser, Highlander, LC200. Not to mention the LC150 over at Lexus. I think what you want is a 4Runner diesel instead of the LC70.

Now that we have seen the new Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner and Tundra which styling cues do you think the new LC will take most from? Not talking engines here. Assuming the final design is done it has to have similarities to one of these. At this point I'm not sure which new design I like best and which would equate to the best looking new 300. I was a little disappointed in the new Tacoma but maybe it will grow on me.

I think you are correct. It will most likely emulate the front end of the 2015 Tundra.

I hate the look of it, but like ALL trucks, I always seem to hate the way they look, but lo and behold, a year later I love it. I assume I will eventually love the look of them, but for right now...yuck.

Latest car gossip in the GCC is that the 200 is getting an update for the 2016 MY. I also read on clublexus that at one of the dealer meetings they said to expect a redesigned LX this year.
Personally i think the 300 is a couple of years away and what we will get this year is a final facelift for the 200.

The final update for the 100 was also 2006MY. I remember seeing it for the first time on the streets in June 2005 with production beginning in May 2005. 10 years!!
The 200 final design was frozen around 2004/2005 and the 100 series design was frozen in 1994. The 300 design is probably done by now and it shouldn't be long until we start seeing spy shots.

Do you think it will it be an all new platform from the ground up or an update on the current 200 series platform?

Last edited:
Brian Jowett mentioned that he believed it was possible that Toyota would be moving towards 4-wheel IFS. That would be kinda nuts.

The 200 series main rival the Y62 Nissan Patrol introduced in 2010 ( QX80 in the US ) has IFS/IRS.

I think the 300 will be introduced in '17. It is obvious the 200 and 2nd gen highlander have similarities. So with the new highlander out did they design with that in mind or will they take cues from the Tacoma or 4Runner? The final design has to be done.

Since about 80% of LC sales are outside the USA and overseas the LC is a workhorse, reliablity and dependability will be top priorities. Next weight savings and fuel savings but still able to use cheap gas and diesel in a 3rd world country. Also the LC is the most popular vehicle to armour, because it can handle the weight. Solid axle, fully boxed frame. Like the G wagon I don't see the LC/LX changing much because of what it is and what it's used for. Maybe simple cosmetics, that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom