Rear Wheel bearing (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow mudders Please help me how to replace my rear wheel bearing for HJ62.

It will be very helpful if someone can help with step by step procedure how to do it.:frown:

Too much detail to list it all here. You need a factory service manual. There are electronic copies available on MUD.

The "basic" steps are as follows:
Jack up rear of truck and remove wheels
Remove brake drum
Drain gear oil from differential
Remove rear differential cover
Remove C-clip inside of differential (keeps axle in place)
Remove axle
Remove rear axle seal
Remove rear axle bearing (takes a slide hammer or similar)

did with a long tube from the other side .. ( was replacing both bearings and seals )

did with a long tube from the other side .. ( was replacing both bearings and seals )

So first you need to remove the differential I think?

search for 'fzj80 rear wheel bearing'. Many threads, read these, you'll need a slide hammer or a "punch tube", but it's straightforward. Hope this helps. Download the service manual

Too much detail to list it all here. You need a factory service manual. There are electronic copies available on MUD.

The "basic" steps are as follows:
Jack up rear of truck and remove wheels
Remove brake drum
Drain gear oil from differential
Remove rear differential cover
Remove C-clip inside of differential (keeps axle in place)
Remove axle
Remove rear axle seal

Thanks for the help...I was able to remove axle but stuck at how to pop bearing from axle tube...Do I need a puller or SST?? Please share picture or manual pages showing how to pull out bearing??
Another help since I have opened axle how can check my axle bearings are fine,,,what are symptoms of worn bearing and its effects on normal operations of my truck?

Thanks for the help...I was able to remove axle but stuck at how to pop bearing from axle tube...Do I need a puller or SST?? Please share picture or manual pages showing how to pull out bearing??
Another help since I have opened axle how can check my axle bearings are fine,,,what are symptoms of worn bearing and its effects on normal operations of my truck?

I used a slide hammer to remove the bearing. There are also bearing pullers that pull from the inside of a bearing. I found that the bearing was very hard to remove...it took a long time, and many hard hits with the slide hammer.

I think there is an SST, but I did not have access to one.

The rear axle bearings last a long time, and only require oil from the differential for proper function. If they make noise (howling is typical for a bearing) then that's a good reason to replace. If the axle was loose inside the bearing, and the axle is not worn, then that's another reason to replace it. Also, another sign of wear is that it could feel rough when you turn it.

I used a slide hammer to remove the bearing. There are also bearing pullers that pull from the inside of a bearing. I found that the bearing was very hard to remove...it took a long time, and many hard hits with the slide hammer.

I think there is an SST, but I did not have access to one.

The rear axle bearings last a long time, and only require oil from the differential for proper function. If they make noise (howling is typical for a bearing) then that's a good reason to replace. If the axle was loose inside the bearing, and the axle is not worn, then that's another reason to replace it. Also, another sign of wear is that it could feel rough when you turn it.

I could have teared it apart to pull it out, I am more curious to have it out in one piece to double sure that it was gone. Though couple of days back I checked play in tire and yes tyre had some free play and was making sound at around 55MPH.
I am opening it for the first time..thats why asking lame questions, here comes another one;) when I hammer it to the axle with a punch in direction pointing inside axle...means the outer needs to be hammered towards direction pushing bearing into axle right?

I could have teared it apart to pull it out, I am more curious to have it out in one piece to double sure that it was gone. Though couple of days back I checked play in tire and yes tyre had some free play and was making sound at around 55MPH.
I am opening it for the first time..thats why asking lame questions, here comes another one;) when I hammer it to the axle with a punch in direction pointing inside axle...means the outer needs to be hammered towards direction pushing bearing into axle right?

Based on your symptoms, replacing the bearing is reasonable.

We all learn by asking questions. :)

I think I understand your question, and it sounds like you are installing it correctly. My suggestion is to try to avoid using a punch if you can - a punch can slip, and damage the new bearing. I have had success using a block of wood across the face of the bearing to hammer on. Also you can place the old bearing on the face of the new bearing, and hammer on the old bearing.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom