How Many Bananas to install 3fe Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many :banana:to install radiator....I was quoted $140 in labor to install. Never done it before and looking it over it appears fairly easy. The toughest thing I have read so far would be the two piece hose on the bottom....anyone out there offer advice?

Thanks

Thanks! Call you later.........

It's not bad. Actually the hardest part IIRC is getting the AC condensor out of the way. The metal shroud is a PITA, a lot of folks cut it in half while it's out to make it easier next time you are messing with the belts, so you can just lift the top half off.

It's an 80 Ken, not a 62. No need to move the condenser coil, no need to cut the plastic shroud.
Perfect time to replace the fan clutch and ALL coolant related hoses and belts. Water pump also and related bits.
Perfect time to replace the power steering hoses if they're starting to weep.
Almost the whole front of the truck will be apart, so get to stuff NOW.
Before you put the new radiator in, thoroughly clean the condenser coil from the inside out. Make sure all the foam seals are intact.

I did mine, and I'm only 1/2:banana:.

By good quality hose clamps do you mean OEM only or is there a certain styles am looking for....band with nut or spring tab like Toyota, etc......

NOt bad

I just did mine a few weeks ago and, although its time consuming, its pretty straight forward. I'm in San Antonio, and between Aaron and me, I'm sure one of us could help out.

Is it and OEM radiator or aftermarket. I put in aftermarket (budget) and had to do a little grinding to get it to fit into the mounting bracket just right, but still wasn't too bad.

How many :banana:to install radiator....I was quoted $140 in labor to install. Never done it before and looking it over it appears fairly easy. The toughest thing I have read so far would be the two piece hose on the bottom....anyone out there offer advice?

Thanks

Also, as far as the two piece hose goes...The lower return hose is split into two pieces that are connected by a pipe that acts as a union. The upper hose comes off of the water pump and is tucked away behind part of the AC compressor and tension pulley. Its a PITA to do if you don't have the belts and radiator out. If you have the opportunity, I would replace it as a precautionary move. If it ever failed on you, you will wish you spent the $12 to do it now while you have good access. Per another MUD member, the best way to do it is from underneath the truck. There is one bolt that holds the union pipe in place, remove that, loosen your top hose clamp on the water pump and pull the union and hose out in one piece. Put new hose on, clamp it to the union then reinstall onto the water pump and tighten that hose clamp. Reattach the bolt the holds the union pipe and then do the lower of the two hoses.

The lower hose is pretty straight forward...attach to the union pipe, hose clamp, attach to radiator inlet, hose clamp....done.

Dreading this.

I feel obligated to mention i have 348,000 miles on my radiator, and if it goes in the next 6 months i blame it all on you. Is yours leaking or something? I'm not changing mine till it blows, and I'll brag about every chance I get. Oh yeah, it only sees green.

Last edited:
I'm planing on replacing my radiator too, I'm researching now, it looks like theres a couple of nuts/bolts that are kinda hard to get to where the rad. attaches to the frame.

The passenger side top bolt/nut is the worst. I had to use a 1/4 drive socket and swivel to reach it. Then to make it easier in the future, I welded a nut on the engine side of the bolt. Taping nuts onto the sockets helps on the install. I did not remove the head light assemblies or the core support, just the grill and fan shroud (of course).

Tenzig - first off congrats on your summit! Bet the view was great from up there! I would be bragging to if I had 348k on my radiator. Mine is seeping from the seam of the top plastic tank.

I am ordering a water pump and hoses....Jon Held guilted me into taking care of it all at once. We Texans can drive two hours just to eat dinner and not see much in between so not taking any chances!

Thanks again all for the advice and a big THANKS to Aggiedan and Aaron who offered their help...dinner and beers on me

I had a hard time with both of the upper bolts, but they weren't horrible. Just takes a little patience. I used a 1/4" drive with swivel and an 8" extension. Once you get it started, no problem. The issue seems to be that they are set at an odd upward angle and so the placement is not intuitive. I did find the Pass side easier to do with loosening the headlight assembly. It only takes 2 or 3 bolts to get the headlight loose. No biggie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom